What Ticks You Off (Most) About Hearies?

When they think they know more about deafness than deaf people.

*This* I get this all the time, and it drives me batty.

I think I can sum up the majority of my pet peeves: don't make assumptions.

Don't assume that because I speak well I hear well. Don't assume that because I'm deaf I don't like music. Or that I do. Don't assume I want a CI, that it would "fix" me. Don't assume you know what it's like to be me because you can't hear people when you're in a loud club.

*This* I get this all the time, and it drives me batty.

I think I can sum up the majority of my pet peeves: don't make assumptions.

Don't assume that because I speak well I hear well. Don't assume that because I'm deaf I don't like music. Or that I do. Don't assume I want a CI, that it would "fix" me. Don't assume you know what it's like to be me because you can't hear people when you're in a loud club.

where is the super like? I love this statement a million times over.:D

What ticks me off are hearing parents choosing SEE rather than ASL for their deaf children. SEE is NOT a language! It will mess up their linguistic development. GGGRRRR!

What ticks me off are hearing parents choosing SEE rather than ASL for their deaf children. SEE is NOT a language! It will mess up their linguistic development. GGGRRRR!

Yes!!!!

My parents do this. They did not know though, they think they teach ASL to me, but no is mostly SEE. Ignorance, not choosing. Maybe what happens many hearing parents?

Yeah, saw that post...I was doing research on SEE, pros and cons and the general consensus is that SEE is a sign language that's more convenient for the hearing than for the deaf because the hearing people have a harder time learning the syntax of ASL so SEE is easier for them and therefore they think it's best for their deaf kids with the belief it would help them learn English better. And that SEE is not very practical in real world applications because it takes longer to sign it and as such, many would resort to a shorthand version of SEE which defeats the whole point of using SEE in the first place.

I don't like that at all. SEE seems to be another way to accommodate the hearing, not the deaf.

Yesterday I had to make a payment to a farmer, and while I was driving, I decided to get a money order, so I stopped at a country store. I walked in and there were a few customers in there. I asked the guy behind the register if he could make a money order. He actually said "Huh?" "Do you have a money order machine?" I asked again. Another worker came up to stand beside him, and HE asked me, "Where are you from?" WTF? The customers were staring at me and I felt the urge to dance an Irish jig. My mind was racing desperately for the most sarcastic reply, but the best I could muster was "Virginia." What the hell did I say THAT for??? They looked at each other, seemingly startled and one repeated wonderingly, "Virgina." One customer beckoned to me and said that there was no money order machine. I thanked her and left. The whole thing made me reflective and I was ready for ANYTHING at the next store, but it went without a hitch. :|

Yeah, saw that post...I was doing research on SEE, pros and cons and the general consensus is that SEE is a sign language that's more convenient for the hearing than for the deaf because the hearing people have a harder time learning the syntax of ASL so SEE is easier for them and therefore they think it's best for their deaf kids with the belief it would help them learn English better. And that SEE is not very practical in real world applications because it takes longer to sign it and as such, many would resort to a shorthand version of SEE which defeats the whole point of using SEE in the first place.

I don't like that at all. SEE seems to be another way to accommodate the hearing, not the deaf.

Not only that, but the concepts and the syntax of ASL have developed specifically to facilitate understanding of information presented in a visual, spatial, time oriented manner. SEE distorts all that by using word definitions instead of conceptual definitions in sign choice, and by placing information in a linear syntax. People that choose SEE need to take the time to figure out what the heck is going on in the brain.:roll:

IMHO, SEE is rather unattractive, visually speaking. :roll: It just doesn't "flow" like ASL does. My best descriptive word for it is unwieldy.

whenever i tell them that i'm deaf- they look at me like i have a terminal illness

:mad:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I call that "the funeral face." Maybe we should ask who died? lol

LOL! I have gotten that too. That, and "I'm so sorry". Some days I wonder about people.

That there are actually hearies on a Deaf forum that are recommending SEE !!

Back