What is CI's sign in ASL??

Pinky

Reaction score
I learned something a new. One of my friend told me about CI people do not like Deaf Culture's sign name for CI like a "Meathook". Is that offend??? Not mean to be upset and just curious. I'm being open mind. The CI people do prefer sign for CI on the side of ear instead sign for "Meathook". What is your opinion??

Really? I didn't know it was offensive.. that's weird.
Is that the sign where you use a bent U behind the ear?
My ASL teacher showed me both ways, that way and the other is fingerspell CI next to ear. He's a hearing interpreter so I suppose he does not know any stipulation behind it.

I had heard that the traditional sign for "implant" was a little offensive because of the handshape. It uses a handshape that is used for things like "poison" and "steal" "vampire", etc....mostly negative things. I have seen people sign it with the "U" handshape, to be "nicer". A lot of my local Deaf community uses that variation when speaking to parents of implanted kids, or CI users themselves. I use the traditional sign, and take no offense to it.

I was taught and use the gentler bent U-shape placed aside the ear , which seems most common at my daughter's school, though some I've signed with fingerspell CI as Naisho described. I've seen the vampire, bent V shape directed hard into the head and accompanied by a pained face only in videos by people who are pretty actively anti-CI, so have assumed that's a more negative term for it. Doesn't offend me to see variations (I just may initially think I'm being asked if my daughter suffers from snake bites to the head with the v-shape version :) )

I had heard that the traditional sign for "implant" was a little offensive because of the handshape. It uses a handshape that is used for things like "poison" and "steal" "vampire", etc....mostly negative things. I have seen people sign it with the "U" handshape, to be "nicer". A lot of my local Deaf community uses that variation when speaking to parents of implanted kids, or CI users themselves. I use the traditional sign, and take no offense to it.

Yup! That what I mean sign like "vampire and steal" on side of CI. The children with CI were upset with non-CI user kids insulted to CI kids like a meathook. It made them mad. The best sign for CI with letter C I instead of meathook. Is that nice for ci sign like "U-shape" ?

Don't see anything offensive about it. Makes logical sense to me. The U-hook one doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and "C-I' is just too English-rooted for me.

Might just be a clash based on a misunderstanding between those who are oral, but knows a bit of ASL, and who signs most of their life.

vampire sign behind the ear with a Ka-Pow mouth morpheme drives the point home. :P

I don't use the "CI" sign. It's too oral for me. I see the flat U and bent U, V signs and dont use them in any disgrace of the CI users. A lot of my friends are CI users.

Mostly I see the "V" version of the sign ... however it's become less of a "meathook"/vampire/steal" (ie a bent "V") and more of a relaxed "V"/"2" (so the fingers aren't generally touching like a "U" - though I've seen that as well)

The relaxed "V" sign makes it look more like how one might put the external component (magnet) of the CI onto the head ie: "V" place on head just behind ear" ... where as the crooked/bent "V" looks more forceful, perhaps more like the implantation surgery itself.

I've not heard anyone in my local community say they are offended by any of the CI signs ... although many may prefer one over the other (much the same way they may prefer to sign "favourite", "birthday","thanksgiving" etc one way instead of another *shrug*)

In BSL sign for CI. Is V shaped hand (same ASL letter V) and bend fingers and tap behind the ear. No one I met was offended by that. It just suit CI well.

Yup! That what I mean sign like "vampire and steal" on side of CI. The children with CI were upset with non-CI user kids insulted to CI kids like a meathook. It made them mad. The best sign for CI with letter C I instead of meathook. Is that nice for ci sign like "U-shape" ?

I guess those kids probably exaggerated the CI signs to pick on the other kids.

Some of my interpreters sign CI using the letter "U" and then putting the tips of the fingers of the letter "U" and putting it behind the ear. And keeping the fingers STRAIGHT, no "hooks". It's more..."PC" I guess, or something like that.

The sign that I know for CI is v handshape with bent fingers and you sign it to the side of your head. I've never found the sign offensive and I use it myself. I guess I'm in the minority. I've always thought it was similar to the vampire sign even though it's to the side of your head.

Sometimes it's finger spelled CI but I don't do that myself.

I guess those kids probably exaggerated the CI signs to pick on the other kids.

That's true. The non-CI user picked on CI kids at school. I didn't know that sign V-handshape is offensive. That's interesting. I don't mind what is the sign for.

Originally, it was the bent-V handshape striking the head, behind the ear.

Then, it became more "pc" by changing the handshaped to the U, and tapping more lightly.

I usually use the bent-V but with a gentle tapping.

Sometimes I use C-I, depending on the context, such as a hearing person saying "C-I" instead of "cochlear implant" or for variety when the term is used repeatedly in an utterance.

Back