What does it means to you?

I understand harleymn's view and Cheri's view.

Okay.. This thread totally applies to me as I was formerly an ASL High School Teacher. I was laid off from my ASL teaching job because the NCLB Act was passed. The hearing people in the school administration gave some of the hearing teachers special notices in advance to get their certification or degree. I didn't get a notice and was told the last day of school that I cannot come back because I haven't gotten my ASLTA certification. I was still attending college part time while I was working as an ASL Teacher. Later, I find out another ASL Teacher who was younger than me was still teaching without a degree or certificate. They let her stay and work while she attended college part-time. It further pissed me off when I found out her mom worked at the school district's main office. Damn, dirty politics! Anyway, it was too late for me. I found out the school laid off several other teachers because they do not meet the newly standardized qualifications required by the NCLB Act. Some of the teachers taught advanced courses in the past, they were asked to standardize their class material and discontinue teaching advanced courses. The No Child Left Behind Act is a double-edged sword that hurt both, the teachers and the students. In the last year of my teaching job, it was a requirement that I am to call the parents of a failing student EVERYTIME and discuss the grade BEFORE I put the grade on the failing student's class/homework. What the Fuck?!?! Since when does the teachers have to asswipe the inattentive, rebellious students while their parents neglect them?!?!? It makes me sick that this NCLB Act was passed so it would be easier to find babysitters for students so their lazy, fat-assed parents would have the whole school year off! Anyhoo, Utah's Dept. of Education is thinking about backing out of the support of the NCLB Act. When that does happen, Utah will no longer receive Federal money for the education system. The No Child Left Behind Act is a not a well-thought planned-out bill.

deaf 528

man aim sorry to hear that, do you think that is the parents responsibilty.i mean i have been busting my ass off including taking time off work and go straighten things out and go see what the test result etc.iam on everybody side here becuz i believe kids cames first. PERIOD.

Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE and applaud parents who go out and make sure their kids get the best in education! That's what true parents are supposed to do!! I have noticed during my parents-teachers conferences that there are more parents attending with kids who have the best grades. I RARELY see or meet parents with kids who have bad grades. You see what a difference it makes? Parents, get involved with your kids and their schools! :nono:

Deaf258 said:
I understand harleymn's view and Cheri's view.

Okay.. This thread totally applies to me as I was formerly an ASL High School Teacher. I was laid off from my ASL teaching job because the NCLB Act was passed. The hearing people in the school administration gave some of the hearing teachers special notices in advance to get their certification or degree. I didn't get a notice and was told the last day of school that I cannot come back because I haven't gotten my ASLTA certification. I was still attending college part time while I was working as an ASL Teacher. Later, I find out another ASL Teacher who was younger than me was still teaching without a degree or certificate. They let her stay and work while she attended college part-time. It further pissed me off when I found out her mom worked at the school district's main office. Damn, dirty politics! Anyway, it was too late for me. I found out the school laid off several other teachers because they do not meet the newly standardized qualifications required by the NCLB Act. Some of the teachers taught advanced courses in the past, they were asked to standardize their class material and discontinue teaching advanced courses. The No Child Left Behind Act is a double-edged sword that hurt both, the teachers and the students. In the last year of my teaching job, it was a requirement that I am to call the parents of a failing student EVERYTIME and discuss the grade BEFORE I put the grade on the failing student's class/homework. What the Fuck?!?! Since when does the teachers have to asswipe the inattentive, rebellious students while their parents neglect them?!?!? It makes me sick that this NCLB Act was passed so it would be easier to find babysitters for students so their lazy, fat-assed parents would have the whole school year off! Anyhoo, Utah's Dept. of Education is thinking about backing out of the support of the NCLB Act. When that does happen, Utah will no longer receive Federal money for the education system. The No Child Left Behind Act is a not a well-thought planned-out bill.
Wow. Very informative post. :thumb: Teachers I know at different school have same thought and feel about NCLB as you do.

Deaf258 said:
Don't get me wrong.. I absolutely LOVE and applaud parents who go out and make sure their kids get the best in education! That's what true parents are supposed to do!! I have noticed during my parents-teachers conferences that there are more parents attending with kids who have the best grades. I RARELY see or meet parents with kids who have bad grades. You see what a difference it makes? Parents, get involved with your kids and their schools! :nono:

Correct! :thumb:

When a Parent is at the teacher/parent conferences, If there a problem with a child's reading or math, It important for the teacher to work with the Parent how to make the child do better. It goes both way not only Parent but the Teacher too. That is their job to make sure the children are learning. When the children are in school they are in the hands of the teachers.

Cheri said:
Correct! :thumb:

When a Parent is at the teacher/parent conferences, If there a problem with a child's reading or math, It important for the teacher to work with the Parent how to make the child do better. It goes both way not only Parent but the Teacher too. That is their job to make sure the children are learning. When the children are in school they are in the hands of the teachers.
Perfecto :thumb:

I'll just say that after the NCLB Act, teachers are way underpaid! You're right about it going both ways. But it is still up to the parents to make the first step. Parents are always responsible first for the students' education, then the teachers' second, then the students' third.

Deaf258 said:
I'll just say that after the NCLB Act, teachers are way underpaid! You're right about it going both ways. But it is still up to the parents to make the first step. Parents are always responsible first for the students' education, then the teachers' second, then the students' third.

This child who goes to my son's school his mother is deaf and cannot speak, Her son has trouble reading and pronounce words, and the school refused to help her. She fought and fought, and even went up to the Board of Education, They do not have a reading program or Tutor to help her child out. This Parent has done her part of trying to fight for her son, when the school is not doing their part in helping her son. Which that is wrong. She cannot help herself that she cannot speak. Well this Leave no Child behind Act would not help children like she has a son that having trouble in school.

Deaf258 said:
I'll just say that after the NCLB Act, teachers are way underpaid!
Yeah. The pressure on teachers & staffs are doubled or perhaps tripled due to retarded NCLB Act. I heard that the rate of enrollments to become teachers have dropped significantly the past two years (I believe). That's not good sign.

Deaf258 said:
You're right about it going both ways. But it is still up to the parents to make the first step. Parents are always responsible first for the students' education, then the teachers' second, then the students' third.
That's entirely true.

why cant she write on a piece of paper saying i need help like that

Cheri said:
This child who goes to my son's school his mother is deaf and cannot speak, Her son has trouble reading and pronounce words, and the school refused to help her. She fought and fought, and even went up to the Board of Education, They do not have a reading program or Tutor to help her child out. This Parent has done her part of trying to fight for her son, when the school is not doing their part in helping her son. Which that is wrong. She cannot help herself that she cannot speak. Well this Leave no Child behind Act would not help children like she has a son that having trouble in school.
specail program i found out for my son that whats i was trying to say earlier in my thread.takes common sence like asking around etc what programs are there available all shre had to do was to ask around but blaming on somebody else.

harleymn said:
specail program i found out for my son that whats i was trying to say earlier in my thread.takes common sence like asking around etc what programs are there available all shre had to do was to ask around but blaming on somebody else.

What are you talking about?! She is allow to blame the school, It the school duty to work with children who are having problems. You cannot ignored that and let the child fell behind that nonsense.

Beside your son has CI, This son is hearing different story.

i know so what

my son has ci which is worst than a hearing, all i had to do was to ask around and found out about kumon, tell her to go to kumon.com they help kids with slow reading or problems like was saying eailier again. so again like i said i care about kids too.

Back