We need your support urgently

Reaction score
The deaf access research group is just over three weeks away from bringing to court , the UK's first ever disability discrimination case against a major UK energy supplier's web site which has continually refused to allow deaf and hearing impaired people to insert in the site's telephone box the Uk Textrelay service prefix 18002 before our telephone number. As a result all users of Textrelay are being denied access to this site.

As I am bringing this case via my solicitors at my own expense, I am now politely asking all deaf/sensory -impaired people here if they could show their support by making a simple statement for the court, as follows.

I/we believe that all deaf and sensory-impaired people have the legal right to use the textrelay prefix in any uk web site and that refusal to allow us to do so amounts to discrimination against us.

Could I please ask you all to visit our blog where you will find a petition to sign. we shall be producing this in court.

D.A.R.G.

the post is entitled we need your support.

Thank you very much from an old deaf man

Last edited:
you should try contact Micheal Oliver at Greenwich...he'd give you more ideas and support! yes he is a wheelchair user but he was the first to initate the real Disability Rights Movement (DRM)... good luck! im from New Zealand, where i sign (electronically? PS i found it and done!
) I will, i have done quite alot of petitions online, mostly against political violence, animals rights, poaching, and so on...

we need your support

thanks to the few who have signed our petition but we honestly do need every single member of this forum to help us by signing the petition.

UK deaf people tend to be totally apathetic so that's why I am asking/begging our friends across the pond to help us achieve a major victory against the biggest energy provider in the UK.

It can be done. All it takes is 10 seconds of your precious time. Can you
search your soul/your conscience and then sign the petition please.

Victory is in sight but we do need your help.

where is the petition. i couldnt find it.

never mind i found it the bold hot pink letters are there.

oh see the power of alldeaf com. we are starting to get the signatures for our petition.
but we need more more more.

can we get 100 by Saturday?

lets show the brits what the yanks can do!!

D.A.R.G

petition

just in case anyone is interested this is the reference for my first report.

I was lucky, the UK BBC chose to highlight the report on their news web site.

Now in the UK, this sort of thing is just not done. An old deaf man does not write academic reports and have them published by the BBC.

Darg Final

It is a study of all GP surgeries in Wales and shows that 90% of them discriminate against deaf and hip patients.

You can see the egg on their faces across the pond.

If I can do this......what can you do?

thanks to the few who have signed our petition but we honestly do need every single member of this forum to help us by signing the petition.

UK deaf people tend to be totally apathetic so that's why I am asking/begging our friends across the pond to help us achieve a major victory against the biggest energy provider in the UK.

It can be done. All it takes is 10 seconds of your precious time. Can you
search your soul/your conscience and then sign the petition please.

Victory is in sight but we do need your help.

you so right.uk deaf are apathetic...have you contact French i been to a few things in Paris and as we in EU it be platform..What about City Lit london(holbon)been some stuff there...i like others have become apathetic,i seen signing clubs who no let deaf join because signing may not be as good as theres.When you got things like this you become apathtic.in my case it depression..Durham uni have or had deaf studies St George hospital london univercity did have unit for young deaf people with mental issues depression ..I gave up when someone with CI said my life had no value unless i had CI when other deaf say this sort of thing what the point..i was active in deaf issues over 20yrs ago but got flak from more deaf people than hearing ones...

deaf charities no good.i hope get results but as i told so often nhs going bust

What good will it do if a bunch of Americans sign a petition for something in the UK?

I wouldn't think it would be accepted.

dear Bottesini. you are wrong The petition does not show location, just numbers and gives people an idea of the strength of feeling of the deaf communities in Alaska to Zambia re discrimination.

If you care in the slightest about deaf discrimination then could you and all the other silent majorities in here show your true selv es and sign the petition , or would you rather be known as I don't give a damn person about deaf problems.

Your choice. Here is your chance to support a deaf legal case and put your money where your mouth is.

I will understand if you cant be bothered and would prefer to spend your precious time yapping and replying to some of the other weird topics being posted in this forum.

1) What you just said is shady and dishonest, bordering on fraud. And it probably crosses that border as well. Especially since this case is going to court.

2) We have UK members here so there is no issue with posting this here, but asking someone here to do something dishonest within your legal system IS an issue.

3) Arguing with veteran members, even the ones that don't like me, is not advisable. You won't win many signatures here that way.

Good luck in your endeavor but please keep your efforts above board. When you don't, it negatively affects all of us. Thx.

...I will understand if you cant be bothered and would prefer to spend your precious time yapping and replying to some of the other weird topics being posted in this forum.

Yea, insulting people is a great way to persuade them. People here are friends with Bottesini and she has a legitimate question. I doubt you'll get much out of anyone here now.

I don't know what other impression I was supposed to get. You sound pretty condescending.

Back