We. Have. A. Big. ****ing. Problem. Here.

Oddball

Stay weird
Premium Member
Reaction score
A friend and I discussed about a real life scenario relating to ASL teaching jobs.

A Hard of Hearing person who owns a private center that offers sign language courses and tutoring services to the general population who wants to learn about sign language. Keep in mind, a hard of hearing person who speaks well and fluent in ASL. I called a HH person “John.”

When a hearing person called to inquire if the center has a job opening (teacher position), John politely replied, “Thank you for your interest in the center, but I am not hiring at this time.” Later, the same person frequently called him and finally, John’s patience was running out, he bluntly told a hearing person that we don’t hire a hearing person. Well, you may call it discrimination.

To me, it is not because hearing people once learn and become fluent in ASL, then tend to take over teaching positions that belong to Deaf professionals.

The excellent example of Amy Cohen Efron’s blog/vlog:

http://www.deafeyeseeit.com/

The title is We. Have. A. Big. ****ing. Problem. Here.

Now, you can see why we have a big ****ing problem here? HEARING PEOPLE STOLE OUR ASL TEACHING JOBS!!

Oh yeah last weekend I saw my friend who owns the type of agency. They called who happen to hearing and want to work with my friends and the gangs. They told the hearing people about the hiring jobs are not available at the moment. hearing
People found out through other Deaf people and called back asking why did they get interviews or not been informed. The owner had to be polite telling the truth to hearing people that they were interested in hiring Deaf asl teachers or deaf administration. They were upset with the owner but the owner isn't doing on purpose. It's for the best interest in their business. The owner is amazed that hearing people keeps calling for ASL TEACHERS positions. Of course they are not hired. The owner said some of them were pretty harsh on the owner. (Smh)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

It makes me question why would a hearing person who has no Deaf family members or any connection to the Deaf community would want to be a Deaf ed teacher, ASL teacher or etc. They can easily find jobs anywhere but why take the jobs that Deaf people need?

Anyone can be passionate about something to a level they want to teach it to other people.

A friend and I discussed about a real life scenario relating to ASL teaching jobs.

A Hard of Hearing person who owns a private center that offers sign language courses and tutoring services to the general population who wants to learn about sign language. Keep in mind, a hard of hearing person who speaks well and fluent in ASL. I called a HH person “John.”

When a hearing person called to inquire if the center has a job opening (teacher position), John politely replied, “Thank you for your interest in the center, but I am not hiring at this time.” Later, the same person frequently called him and finally, John’s patience was running out, he bluntly told a hearing person that we don’t hire a hearing person. Well, you may call it discrimination.

To me, it is not because hearing people once learn and become fluent in ASL, then tend to take over teaching positions that belong to Deaf professionals.

Now, you can see why we have a big ****ing problem here? HEARING PEOPLE STOLE OUR ASL TEACHING JOBS!!

not only that, many interpreters can get very snarky and arrogant to even claim Deaf people don't own sign language !! well then who created it? who developed it, certainly NOT hearing people !! and what really gets up my nose , they pay cheaply to classes run by deafs then come back charging 10x as intepreters,

NOT F$#*&#$ING ON !!

so i KNOW what you are saying.....its just wrong. oh and we already know that, Deaf people are the best teachers of their own language, just as Japanese are for their own, Germans for German language and so on....

...and...
here is my old video ( i cut it out from the full version to share this bit)...

now this is about NZSL (New Zealand Sign Language) and watch the dialogue between Craig and Jackie, Jackie talked about how Hearing people don't consider her as a valued staff member or even as a 'real teacher' of NZSL !!..quite appalling...

To watch it, go to the link below;

http://youtu.be/0XDUPqXrgPk

:ty: for sharing that story and link, Oddball and the video, Grumm. My ASL is sucky and no knowledge sadly of NZSL....and my computer is crashing when I try to play utube vids. But I'd like to know what they discuss more.

Oddball, I read that blog, it was good.

leave it on, its a big you tube to download.....it works fine here......ok try look into it, im new to you tubes (from the admin side of it, not as a viewer of youtubes)

It makes me question why would a hearing person who has no Deaf family members or any connection to the Deaf community would want to be a Deaf ed teacher, ASL teacher or etc. They can easily find jobs anywhere but why take the jobs that Deaf people need?

What about American people taking jobs teaching a foreign language isn't that taking jobs way for other people that need a job?

leave it on, its a big you tube to download.....it works fine here......ok try look into it, im new to you tubes (from the admin side of it, not as a viewer of youtubes)

it works fine for me

I want to be sure I'm understanding this scenario.

When John said, "I am not hiring at this time," did he mean he wasn't hiring any teachers at all, or that he just wasn't hiring hearing teachers?

If John had teaching vacancies and no Deaf teachers had applied, and he couldn't find any after making an active search, what would he do? Would he leave the positions vacant rather than hire a hearing teacher?

. . . The owner had to be polite telling the truth to hearing people that they were interested in hiring Deaf asl teachers or deaf administration. They were upset with the owner but the owner isn't doing on purpose. It's for the best interest in their business. The owner is amazed that hearing people keeps calling for ASL TEACHERS positions. Of course they are not hired. The owner said some of them were pretty harsh on the owner. (Smh)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf
If the agency owner wants to hire only Deaf people, that's his prerogative. What I'm not clear about is how then is it that the owner "isn't doing on purpose"? It is on purpose--that is, it's intentional.

Also, why is he amazed that hearing people want and need jobs, too?

Like I said, the owner can do what he wants but he shouldn't be amazed or make excuses about the situation.

It might surprise you but not all hearing people cannot "easily find jobs anywhere."

There could be many legitimate reasons why hearing people would want to be Deaf ed teachers. I doubt their motivation is to take jobs from Deaf people.

I know hearing teachers who want to teach Deaf ed because they're dedicated teachers who care about Deaf students, and have spent many years and dollars in preparing for the profession.

Also, just because someone is hearing, how do you know they have no connection to the Deaf community? Maybe some do and some don't.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a strong advocate for placing Deaf teachers into our schools. But the situation is not always so cut and dry as "hearing vs. Deaf," and it's definitely not a case of hearing people out to steal Deaf jobs. If it ends up that hearing people get jobs to which Deaf applicants feel they were better qualified then the problem isn't with the hearing teachers. The problem is with the administration that's doing the hiring, and the hiring process.

I still not getting it..i no bother keep asking for job if getting refused.it is usual thing to employ deaf person if need signer for teaching sign assuming one around do it

If the agency owner wants to hire only Deaf people, that's his prerogative. What I'm not clear about is how then is it that the owner "isn't doing on purpose"? It is on purpose--that is, it's intentional.

Also, why is he amazed that hearing people want and need jobs, too?

Like I said, the owner can do what he wants but he shouldn't be amazed or make excuses about the situation.

Right, I didnt mean to use the proper purpose. Its intentional that the owner is interested in hiring Deaf ASL teachers and administration which is more conveninet for the owner. The owner did not advertise for job vacances at all. Apparently that Hearing peple have heard about this small agency and called the owner, but become more aggressive toward to the owner. The owner do hire when its necessary and Often, it was a last minute since the agency is still small. The owner is amazed how hearing people approached their attitudes with the owner about not hiring.

not only that, many interpreters can get very snarky and arrogant to even claim Deaf people don't own sign language !! well then who created it? who developed it, certainly NOT hearing people !!
When I was interpreting, I was often offered positions to teach and/or tutor ASL, and I always turned them down. I would give them the names of Deaf individuals or groups that could provide them with teachers or classes. I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that.

and what really gets up my nose , they pay cheaply to classes run by deafs then come back charging 10x as intepreters,
At the ITP I attended, all my ASL and interpreting courses were taught by college instructors, so they were all paid the same, regardless of Deaf or hearing. I certainly didn't earn 10X what any of the instructors earned, not to mention having to pay all my expenses, insurance, employer and employee taxes, and having no disability or unemployment coverage.

Let's face it. If we're going to have a large enough pool of qualified interpreters available, there has to be some financial incentive. Even interpreters have to earn a living.

. . . Deaf people are the best teachers of their own language, just as Japanese are for their own, Germans for German language and so on….
Any native user of any language who has equal skill in instruction is always preferable for teaching that language, yes.

Right, I didnt mean to use the proper purpose. Its intentional that the owner is interested in hiring Deaf ASL teachers and administration which is more conveninet for the owner. The owner did not advertise for job vacances at all. Apparently that Hearing peple have heard about this small agency and called the owner, but become more aggressive toward to the owner. The owner do hire when its necessary and Often, it was a last minute since the agency is still small. The owner is amazed how hearing people approached their attitudes with the owner about not hiring.
Got it.

A bad attitude by a job applicant is definitely not a good thing. That's no way to get a job.

I would like to see more active recruiting by schools and agencies to find and promote Deaf teachers. They could offer scholarships, internships, workshops, mentorships, etc., to build up a base of Deaf teachers. Also, what one of the agencies I used to work for did, was to send a professional recruiter into schools, educational departments, to present their services, explain pros and cons, explain government requirements and benefits, etc. Owners of hiring agencies can also do that to promote the hiring of Deaf teachers.

Back