want a laptop

cdmeggers

Reaction score
My grandparents are giving me up to $1000 for a new computer. I'm looking around at laptops to replace my Acer Aspire netbook (it's like 3 years old, doesn't even work all that well anymore). I want a good sturdy quality laptop (not a Mac, won't be able to afford that, don't want the Mac Air or whatever it is). Any of you have any suggestions? I want a laptop that'll last a good long while, at least 6-8 GB RAM, have a lot of performance capabilities... Definitely avoiding Dells, don't want to go for Acer either. I've been all over the internet, comparing and reading reviews. Will go back to Best Buy to look at their laptops more closely, maybe even Staples. Will also check with a local computer shop as well (they also do customizations).

MacBook Pro is better than PC notebook I had used some PC notebooks but lot of problem about slow performance and some virus.

I can't afford a Mac. So I'm getting a PC laptop.

think money smart. buy one on credit like at Best Buy or MacMall.com (no payment/no interest for 6 months plus $20 off).

if you can afford buying PC laptop after few years... then surely you can afford a Mac right now. Your laptop is 3 years old now and already you need a new one.... so that's 2 laptops together that you wasted your money on. Many many many MacBooks last much longer than 3 years. It's equivalent to 3 PC laptops.

Last edited:
Im sorry, I agree with these suggestion you got from ADers. MAC rocks! MAC are much more stable, and the upgrade is dirty cheap. Lets compare software

Micro$oft upgrade from XP to Windows 7 cost whopping 150 dollars, depending on which editon, limit one per PC

MAC? Upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion cost? 25 dollars, limit to TWO MAC.

Today PC even laptop really pretty much shitty than it was 15 years ago.

I might buy ipad 2 this winter time. I played with it the other day and love it.

I can't afford a Mac. So I'm getting a PC laptop.

Macbook long life than most PC. Most of PC will worn out in 2-3 years then You just wasted your money with cheap PC.

My macbook is 5 years old and still works great. Sad, most of my family's replaced PC laptops two times under 5 years and I still have same one. There is payment plan which make afford for you.

I always buy the business version, currently a Samung (great screen) previously Dell (never again) and before that IBM or Lenovo as it is today. Recently bought a Toshiba with 8G Ram and a quad core processor and a 2Gb graphics card for about $1400 (we did a deal on that and a small netbook).

Most of PC will worn out in 2-3 years then You just wasted your money with cheap PC.

You've been buying some pretty crappy PC's if they only last 2-3 years. I have several machines older than 5 years at home and at work some older than 10 years.

You've been buying some pretty crappy PC's if they only last 2-3 years. I have several machines older than 5 years at home and at work some older than 10 years.

speak for yourself.... a 3-years old Acer Aspire netbook that doesn't work well.....

I always buy the business version, currently a Samung (great screen) previously Dell (never again) and before that IBM or Lenovo as it is today. Recently bought a Toshiba with 8G Ram and a quad core processor and a 2Gb graphics card for about $1400 (we did a deal on that and a small netbook).

what a shame.... oh well.

What machines? Laptop? Server? Desktop?

Umm, Who said I bought pc laptop if they work only last 2-3 years? In fact, I had old Acer laptop from 2003 and I gave it to my father and he still use it and it's works great for 8 years so far.

Again, Most newer PC laptop from 2010 or early are SUCK big time.

Like diehardbiker said.
Today PC even laptop really pretty much shitty than it was 15 years ago.

Yeah, just think about it, business grade PC may be as good as MAC and cost probably the same, yet it is alot cheaper to upgrade software and OS on MAC than PC. Its pretty much no brainer.

Problem with PC is that there is fierce and cut throat business in PC industry, and they are trying to cut corners to make little profit. HP almost bailed out PC business due to not much profit. That is why PC ended up shitty than 15 years ago.

I don't know where you got your Aspire One but I've dropped mine about 10+ times on a concrete floor from 5+ feet in the air. I've spilled grease and water on it. I've gotten food crumbs in it. Mine still works and I've had it for about 4 years now. All PCs I've gotten have lasted me WAY longer than they have most people. I still have my first laptop from 1995 running Linux (no maintenance has been performed on it whatsoever) If this is what people have come to expect from their PCs, I can understand why people get so angry at me when I tell them to get another PC. I guess for some unknown reason, I get WAY more use out of mine than the average person.

If you really want to get PC laptop. DON'T get personal laptop, get business laptop. Because the personal laptop come with full of crap applications. Then you have to pay more for RAM and add anti-virus app to keep update for 3 years.... Wait a min... Mac don't need either and cost same as PC you spend.

Dell business laptop is BEST to get.

I have MacBook for 5 years, that's long I ever had and it work fine. Next year or so, it would be good time for me to replace new MacBook Pro.

Computers should be viewed as a LONG-TERM investment. However, far too many people prefer to save money now rather than save it in the long run. That's the first mistake many novice users make.

Thankfully, I view my computers as long-term investments.

Get a Macbook Pro, you generally spend less in the long run. IT's only a few hundred more than $1,000 to get one. Windows upgrade costs few times more than Mac OS upgrades. Also, if you buy a new PC laptop...you generally end up with lot of junk on it. Mac computers don't have that kind of thing. Also, Windows come with IE built in, that's the huge inconvenience.

I have a IBM computer with XP OS for 10 years and it still run well. I have a Acer one netbook for three years and it works allright (defective internal battery operation)..it must be wired...I could not carry it around wirelessly anymore. I sold a Dell netbook (from Purple) to someone one year ago because I did not need it anymore.

I plan to get a Macbook Pro laptop for my business..when? Honestly, good question. I will purchase it through my union membership benefits which will save me $200 of the retail price..not much, but better than nothing. I will get ipad 3 later on in 2012..no rush. I choose a Macbook pro laptop over PC laptop because I know it runs longer than any pc laptop in the timeframe. Maybe my xmas and bday monies will go toward a purchase of Macbook Pro laptop, then I will pay monthly on the remaining balance...I have to make a decision myself.

I agree with Diehardbiker's comment: "Today PC even laptop really pretty much shitty than it was 15 years ago." That's why I was ambivalent on purchasing a new PC tower to replace my IBM tower. Right now, I don't care anymore as long as my IBM tower computer still runs.

My iphone died on me twice and I stubbornly revived my iphone by pushing two buttons at the same time..PAH it bounced back from the dead. Geez. My iphone now become ifrankstein from now on.

If you really want to get PC laptop. DON'T get personal laptop, get business laptop. Because the personal laptop come with full of crap applications. Then you have to pay more for RAM and add anti-virus app to keep update for 3 years.... Wait a min... Mac don't need either and cost same as PC you spend.

Dell business laptop is BEST to get.

I have MacBook for 5 years, that's long I ever had and it work fine. Next year or so, it would be good time for me to replace new MacBook Pro.

One may install Linux on a PC and have the same virus protection as Mac (in cases) even better.

Back