Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ... and cannot sign

• ... and can use speech

• ... and cannot use speech

• Total voters
Yup. That was after I realized everyone else can see, but me. If I was deliberately trolling I would have kept at it. I just left it there, and you guys had your fun.

Thats that. Do you want to continue?

..........--I see Cloggy changed it from a "public poll" to a "private poll" Clever.
You changed it :) Before I could see who voted for what, now you can't.
...... glad I was able to give the hearing parents a cheap thrill. =)

Nah.. It's all in plain view...

Just wanted to mention that vocabulary is important, especially for literacy skills which a 5 year old is working on.

Yep, ASL vocabulary is very very important because the child can transfer their working knowledge to acquiring English vocabulary.

To add...many people think sight recognition of words mean good vocabulary. It doesn't. That's why there is a good number of kids who can read word for word, thus have high "vocabulary" skills...but their reading comprehension skills are very poor. This is where I step in and advocate ASL for literacy.

One question: how do you speak fluently? Speech isn't a language; it's a skill.

A kid should pick up their first language in the first 3-5 years (the super accelerated years:P) of life. It can be whatever language you want; it can even be two languages introduced at the same time (but not necessarily used together). But a language must be learned because a child (at least an American hearing child) has most of their language's vocab by age 5. Then, the child can use that language to help get another language. This can be done at an accelerated rate until the language window closes at age 9.

Speech basically only requires that Wernicke's/Broca's areas of the brain are functioning/being used and that the person has enough motor control of their mouth/tongue (and has the organs/vocal cords). You could even learn English receptively at an early age (through whatever mode is made available) and learn it expressively with non-speech methods, then learn to speak it later.

If that diatribe was so completely irrelevant to the topic as to be awkward, please feel free to ignore it. I've just had it bottled up so long that I needed to get it out.:D

Back