Two IT questions

AlleyCat

Reaction score
I have two questions from my last chapter. We've already moved on and these questions were NOT addressed in the test, so I still do not know the answers to these. I would like to know this in case it comes up for final exams, and just to know it anyway. Can you help?

Which of the following characteristics is associated with a peer-to-peer network? (Choose all that apply.)
a) easy to install
b) inexpensive
c) user-managed resources
d) centralized control
e) server failure having a drastic effect on the network

I tried this question several times (it's "unlimited" any time I want to guess, but it doesn't give me the correct answer) and no matter which combo I choose, it's always been wrong.

Second question:
Which of the following operating systems supports peer-to-peer networking? (Choose all that apply)

a) Windows XP Professional
b) Windows 9x (anything higher than Windows 98)
c) Windows 2.0
d) Windows Server 2003

In this case, after getting this wrong so many times, I googled this. I can find peer-to-peer networking for XP Professional, 9x (98+), and 2.0. So after numerous tries with this, I STILL get this wrong. Can you help?

It would also be great if you could tell me WHY you chose the answer you did. Thanks !!

#1 - a / b / c

the point of p2p is to have decentralized network and to put less strain on network/server. thus

d) centralized control
e) server failure having a drastic effect on the network

are wrong. P2P does not rely on server... only # of connected PC's available.

#2 - all (it works in my both XP & 2003)

What you said about #1 makes total sense. I see where I was going in the wrong direction.

However, for #2, on one of the many attempts, I did pick ALL. It was still wrong.

What you said about #1 makes total sense. I see where I was going in the wrong direction.

However, for #2, on one of the many attempts, I did pick ALL. It was still wrong.

then #2 is bugged (assuming you have tried ALL kinds of combo). It happened to me so I simply emailed the professor and it was corrected.

Man, I hate these technical IT questions. Sometimes they just ask them just to see if you are a know it all or something, and that's the only purpose I can think of. IT should be how good you can do what you can do, not how much of the history semantics you know.

But anyways let's see.

Hmm, are these questions based on PC's overall or a specific software or study? This may influence some of the answers, but I am gonna go by a general broad approach that covers all of it:
problem 1)

all answers (ABC) suffice except for D and E. I'm not sure what's it trying to state as in centralized control, if that's meaning one operates as a "main node" or act as a server then that's incorrect.
E definitely does not work in here because there is no set server in a p2p world. A/B will have to depend on the software you're using.. as for linux some people may have a hard time setting it up to work smoothly between IBM/MAC platforms, but linux is 'free'. Unless it is stating this as in setting it up after you have the O/S already, windows variants are easy to install/use and costs nothing, except for the O/S itself.

peer-to-peer (p2p) network is a network which all parties have the same "capability" as another, either one of them can start up a network session. if you could think of client-server diagram, peer to peer is lke clients intertwined with clients, and the server is nowhere in the picture. This is the bittorrent of today, the base idea of how it works.

problem 2)
XP/9x/2003 all support networking capabilities. Windows 2.0 in there is like, a black sheep sticking out of the flock. Win2.0 was released back in the 80s or something, before 3.0 became popular. I don't think even 3.0 had p2p support.

damn.... that was a longggg answer....

those professors/textbook loved to confused me, so I confused them in my responses. They wanna get nerdy, I got technical!
icon14.gif

For #2, (we are allowed unlimited attempts at any question since it's just a review .. these are what my answers initially were):

1st attempt:
Which of the following operating systems supports peer-to-peer networking? (Choose all that apply.)

b) Windows 9x

WRONG.

2nd attempt:
Which of the following operating systems supports peer-to-peer networking? (Choose all that apply.)

b) Windows 9x
c) Windows 2.0

WRONG.

3rd attempt (this is when I googled it):

b) Windows 9x
c) Windows 2.0
d) Windows Server 2003

WRONG.

Jiro, I hear what you're saying about it being bugged. Is there any possibility that it is any other combination?

You and naisho seem to have about the same opinion about question #1, so that helps a lot. Thank you !!

what about
b) Windows 9x
d) Windows Server 2003

I was like wtf is Windows 2.0 lol

I think the reason I kept getting #1 wrong was that the teacher kept emphasizing that one benefit of a network is using an application server where all apps are installed on one server and then other computers can "use" those apps over the network. So I was thinking that the "inexpensive" as far as having to install software apps on each individual computer was expensive vs. being able to pull it off an application server.

what about
b) Windows 9x
d) Windows Server 2003

I was like wtf is Windows 2.0 lol

I thought the same. I googled Windows 2.0 peer-to-peer and all sorts of stuff came up supporting peer-to-peer networking, so it seemed as if it did support p2p. Hence the confusion.

I thought the same. I googled Windows 2.0 peer-to-peer and all sorts of stuff came up supporting peer-to-peer networking, so it seemed as if it did support p2p. Hence the confusion.

I just googled it.... wow that is SOOOOOOOO old! no i don't think Internet even existed at that time :laugh2:

Yeah 2.0 is a really, really old- and dead operating system that was made during the 80s. It was so primitive, compared today, it didn't even display full colors. The GUI (Graphics User Interface) was a stark Monochrome or dual colors, couldn't support more than probably a few colors on the screen at once. It was basically dos with a "point and click" environment.

windows_2_0.gif

Then a few years later, Microsoft improved it and 3.0, --> 3.1 --> 3.11 came out, and these became mainstream where MS started to get fame on "windows"
Windows3.gif

3.1/3.11 got a little advanced, forgot what they changed, I was too small to remember anything different at that time - except more kiddie games worked on it:
figure4w311.jpg

After that, 95 was released > 98 > 98 SE > Me > the rest you've got it down.

Ok. So for my notes I'm gonna go with XP Professional, 9x, and Windows 2003. I swear I really did see stuff I googled supporting 2.0 for p2p networking, but I must've not read it correctly. That's probably where I went wrong.

Thanks, Jiro and Naisho! Now I know where to go next time I have an incredibly boring IT question.

ah... no wonder about Windows 2.0... That can be easily confused as Macintosh. Windows 3.1 was my first windows computer.

Well -- for the #2, the answer should be as I have read from the other posts would be Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. It works on both. Not sure about the Windows 9x. The first Q - A/B/C as I agreed with the others.

You're welcome, I'm not having much fun trying to memorize the names of everything on a compound/dissecting microscope. This is more of what I would prefer to answer on!

JC, yeah back when Win95 this whole new thing came out with networking where you would get a new application called "Network Neighborhood". It was pretty crappy back then, as in lots of disconnections and errors if you couldn't get it working right, plus some things were hard to set up to share. but the fact that it worked for simple client filesharing is the big part. then, as it evolved thru 98/2k/xp/vista we have a much more improved version of that today.

Back