Two IT questions

LOL :) Me too! I actually hate this stuff and can't wait to get to the "good" stuff!

Yeah, it's serial transmission.

Here's a direct way of answering that question:
'For nearly all forms of networking media, signals traversing the media consist of a linear sequence of information that corresponds to a linear sequence of bits of data called serial transmission."

You know, I still don't get why they do this and question whats the big deal with being a computer technical know it all buff... it just doesn't compute or make sense. Hands on experience with the real thing is better and useful in the long run.

But this is what it takes to get MSCE or A+ certified.. go figure.

Not to mention, some companies pay you more if you have the certification.

Yeah, it's serial transmission.

Here's a direct way of answering that question:
'For nearly all forms of networking media, signals traversing the media consist of a linear sequence of information that corresponds to a linear sequence of bits of data called serial transmission."

You know, I still don't get why they do this and question whats the big deal with being a computer technical know it all buff... it just doesn't compute or make sense. Hands on experience with the real thing is better and useful in the long run.

But this is what it takes to get MSCE or A+ certified.. go figure.

Not to mention, some companies pay you more if you have the certification.

I'm starting to hate some of this technical stuff too. My next class is C++ programming, starting in March. I heard horror stories from some of my classmates in my Networking class that it was the class from hell. I'm so NOT looking forward to this. LOL :)

I'm starting to hate some of this technical stuff too. My next class is C++ programming, starting in March. I heard horror stories from some of my classmates in my Networking class that it was the class from hell. I'm so NOT looking forward to this. LOL :)

yes C++ programming can be hell but if it's purely basic course.... it's not a big deal. I got an easy A without even trying.

Did someone say C++ programming? I know it is from Hell, but I just graduated from that class late last year. So if you want some help, you can ask me and Jiro :cool2:

Did someone say C++ programming? I know it is from Hell, but I just graduated from that class late last year. So if you want some help, you can ask me and Jiro :cool2:

Thanks !!! I will likely take you up on that. :)

Unclear question.

The type of data transmission that occurs in any form of networking media is called ____ transmission.

a) serial
b) parallel
c) analog
d) digital

This question not really clear. I need more detail to make better decision.

Now I read more of your forum and I got it.

Regarding my post from Saturday night with the 5 questions I couldn't get figured out right, based on Naisho and Jiro and everyone else's help, we got 3 of them figured out right.

However, 2 questions still aren't correct ... Anyone want to try taking another stab at this? I've gone online as well but the questions are so generic that a google search doesn't really help. And there is just nothing "concrete" in the book to indicate any of these one way or the other. I hate guessing at this!

Anyways, the 2 questions are: (Keep in mind this chapter is about network interface cards and its role in a network, so this is all network-related.)

1) Which of the following roles does a network adapter play in connecting a computer to a networking medium? Choose all that apply.

a) formats outgoing data into frames for transmission onto the media
b) provides a physical link to the network medium
c) enforces password authentication for incoming frames
d) converts data from one network protocol to another, if necessary
e) provides a unique hardware-level network address

1st guess: a, c
2nd guess: a, b
3rd guess: a, b, c
4th guess: b, c, e
5th guess: b, d

They're all wrong.

2) Which of the following factors contributed to the development of new data buses in PCs? Choose all that apply.

a) networks got faster, so buses did too
b) increased CPU speeds demanded faster, wider buses
c) standalone computers are used more frequently
d) network protocols required faster buses
e) bigger operating systems bred bigger buses

1st guess: a, b, d
2nd guess: a, b, d, e
3rd guess: a, b
4th guess: a
5th guess: b

All are wrong. I had an ephiphany just now while writing this. In my other post I mentioned I eliminated "c" right away. Now I'm wondering if I mis-read that; because more standalone computers are being used now because they're wireless! Do you agree?

Any advice on either of these 2 would be great! Thanks !!

for #1 try a b c d e, this is a wild shot

#2 thru process of elimination, I think C does not belong anywhere in there. E feels kind of sketchy.. Try D solo.

for #1 try a b c d e, this is a wild shot

#2 thru process of elimination, I think C does not belong anywhere in there. E feels kind of sketchy.. Try D solo.

Thanks, Naisho. It's already been 1.5 days since I posted that new question so in between that and your response, I was still trying to figure it out myself. I figured the same for #1 as you did, to try a,b,c,d,e. I am not re-taking the test anymore so I'm not sure if I'll come across these 2 questions anymore, but I do have my mid-term tomorrow and we'll see if these come up or not. (I think they won't, but who knows.) And if I do see these questions, I will try your "D" for #2 too. Let you know later if I do see these or not.

1) Which of the following roles does a network adapter play in connecting a computer to a networking medium? Choose all that apply.

They're all wrong.

{White Wolf's answer follows}

Ok, in order to properly answer this you have to remember what OSI layer the network adapter is at here, and pick out the words in each of the answers that don't match the specific layer their asking you about. And that's Layer 1, the physical layer.
Alright, let's look at each of the answers 1 by 1 -
It's not A - The key word here is frames, remember that the physical layer is dealing with bits. Frames are Layer 2's job.
It is B since that's one of the physical layer's purposes.
It's not C, the key word here is authentication, The physical layer does not perform any authentication.
It's not D, the key word here is protocol, that's layer 4's job.
It's not E The word in this one the most tricky to catch, b/c what their referring to is the MAC address. Yes, it is based on the network adapter, but it's not truly unique.

So there you go, the answer is B.

And yes, I've taken wwwaaaayy to many certification tests... it's also why I'm a CNE and probably going to be Cisco cert'd as well soon.

Last edited:
2) Which of the following factors contributed to the development of new data buses in PCs? Choose all that apply.

a) networks got faster, so buses did too
b) increased CPU speeds demanded faster, wider buses
c) standalone computers are used more frequently
d) network protocols required faster buses
e) bigger operating systems bred bigger buses

After remembering about some of my Cisco history, I suddenly thought what has their biggest change been? And thought, how's about A & D? (I hesitate on adding E to the answer b/c I've seen some pretty minimalist OS's on networking h/w.)

After remembering about some of my Cisco history, I suddenly thought what has their biggest change been? And thought, how's about A & D? (I hesitate on adding E to the answer b/c I've seen some pretty minimalist OS's on networking h/w.)

A & D would be a combo that I haven't tried yet. I'm going to ask the teacher one more time about this one and see if I can get an answer and will let you know. I tried this 6 different times with different answers and every one of them was wrong. Thanks! Will let you know what I find out.

They're all wrong.

{White Wolf's answer follows}

Ok, in order to properly answer this you have to remember what OSI layer the network adapter is at here, and pick out the words in each of the answers that don't match the specific layer their asking you about. And that's Layer 1, the physical layer.
Alright, let's look at each of the answers 1 by 1 -
It's not A - The key word here is frames, remember that the physical layer is dealing with bits. Frames are Layer 2's job.
It is B since that's one of the physical layer's purposes.
It's not C, the key word here is authentication, The physical layer does not perform any authentication.
It's not D, the key word here is protocol, that's layer 4's job.
It's not E The word in this one the most tricky to catch, b/c what their referring to is the MAC address. Yes, it is based on the network adapter, but it's not truly unique.

So there you go, the answer is B.

And yes, I've taken wwwaaaayy to many certification tests... it's also why I'm a CNE and probably going to be Cisco cert'd as well soon.

This one was on my mid-term this morning! I got 99/100 and this is the only one I got wrong. (I saw your response after I got home from school so you are not at fault, nobody is.) Anyway after the mid-term was over, we got the correct answers. Turns out for this one it is: A, B, E .

Back