Top 10 Annoying things with your CI

Hello All,

I have a CI. Had it for two years,and it is getting better all the time.I told my Audiologist
that I want to hear a rat fart at 10 feet.I want to hear as best I can with this thing in my head. Cost for me to get it! $50,000 but my bill was...Zip 0.....
Lucky you bet.... I want to get this thing going as best I can.... And I will do so....It is time for me to get going with it...Yes I hear things I do not want to...But that is all part of it....Right! my battery's in it last all day.......
Just rock on be happy with it and thank God you have it!!!!!

One of the difficulties I have with my CI - not annoying, just difficult - is that I still have to remind myself to "listen".....I can hear things but they don't register in my brain as being important....like somebody calling my name. So I'm having to learn to be more alert to what's around me. Sometimes when I'm lost in a good book or busy doing something I forget to listen.

Ain't that the truth! As as "leftover" from my HA days, I have the tendency to "float" off into my mind and there goes the attention span!!! :D

Seriously, though I have noticed that I pay more attention to listening overall but I have my moments...:whistle:

Srsoars I fully agree about wondering off into your own little world. There are times when I get so engrossed into listening to something I forget completely about making sure I register other sounds. *such as my daughter calling me*. But I think this may be true for the hearing population as well and just is more noticeable among us CI users?

Actually, I have noticed that I'm more aware of my surroundings especially sounds. It is really nice to become more like the hearing in this respect. One such example is when I listen to music (fairly loudly) on my cd player at work and I always know when my phone is ringing. That utterly amazes me as when I had my HA, I almost would only sometimes notice the phone ringing!

I think it is more what your focus is on "per se" and the more engrossing it is the less you pay attention to outside stimulus. Tis is true for just about anybody...no?

1 big thing I get annoyed.

when I go to important meeting or Doctor check up etc.
Once the doctor start to talk, and the battery go dead.
That moment just HIT me.. I whack my forehead. the doctor and
sometime my mom when she goes with me due of driving me home
I lift my head up and look at both of them. My mom said
"Uh oh, you forgot the battery" I nod.. Doctor came up to me
said "don't worry you do not need it when you go in that room"
I said "I know I am not worry for that but its just the period of
length of time not havin' any sounds" They both knew I need
my sound real bad!
I admit I can live without sound for 5 to 15 min.. but the longer
and I get so restless, paranoids etc. My friend went in hosp she
notice i was so paranoid, so I told her "Im sorry i have to go home"
I went home and came back to stay with her.
I always bring batteries with me yes always do.. but in these time
when you *Run out of the house* in last min you just don't think of
bringing one with you!

for these disposable batteries are very lucky they can buy one anywhere
but mine are rechargeable. So.. Once I get my 2nd implant done
and hooked up I will make sure I always put 2 in my purse no matter what!

Oh another thing hearing these chirps, or crickets, ribbits etc can
be very interesting to figure out, I have always look and look and
figure out I don't care how long it take me if I am alone to try
find the source. Most of time my husband tells me where it comes
from etc.. that even Mating incests, birds, etc is very odd sound
too but very awesome! none of these noise i would hear much
in cities but i live in very country lifelike! very calm! :-D

sorry again for going off topic

OH.. i asked husband *you can hear spider walking???*
He said not really. small ones, light ones, etc no you wont.
Some of them you can hear.. like big size, or whatever.. so It
is very interesting to know I would like to know the spider sound
too. I am not afraid of them but my daughter and son are! *grrr*

Wendy

Bear,

I'm sorry, I am really making your thread OT aren't I? My bad! :whip:

Bear,

I'm sorry, I am really making your thread OT aren't I? My bad! :whip:

LOl no problem R2, I believe each topic needs to have a little humor injected. If we all lightened up in AD and elsewhere life may be a little more smoother, calmer, and less frazzled nerves.

LOL, deafskeptic, could have been worse we could have added snakes to that nice array for ya.:giggle: btw Happy Belated Birthday to both you and R2

1.The long trips to my CI center- my CI center is in Mayfield,Ohio which is about an 1 and a half drive from here.

ok.

2.Having to change batteries so often.- I have rechargeable batteries thank god but they only last about 6 hours and then you have to change.

why not use it only when you really need it... such as watch tv and stuff.
Can you turn it off to save energy?

3. When first putting on the CI it sounds so loud!! lol

Can you tell the doctor to turn the CI down a little bit?

4.Having to hear the irritating sounds along with the sounds I wanna hear- such as rain on the windshield while trying ot listen to music, ughh.

Can you turn up the music?

5.Sometimes the batteries come unplugged leaving me with no charged up batteries for the day and no CI.

ok

6. Sometimes my ear itches and I accidently knock the CI off and or when I try to get my hair out of my face I accidently knock it off.

ok

7. The CI getting tangled in my hair- never had that problem with my HA's.

ok

8. Hearing a new sound- Some of you will say this is a plus, but to me it isnt because whenever I hear a new sound, I go searching for whatever is making that sound and if I cant find it, then it just drives me nuts, trying to figure out what it is.

why can't you ignore it?

9. Sound overload- this mainly happens to me at places like Cedar Point or in a very crowded place, sometimes too much sound isnt such a good thing. At these times I simply turn my processor so low that I cant hear anything or take it off.

yeah take it off.

10. Sometimes I accidently fall asleep with it on and end up with a sore head the next day.

sigh. you can get use to it... reminding yourself and then after that
you get a habit to take it off before going to bed.

1) Not as sweatproof as I would like it to be.

huh?

2) Short battery life.

can you turn it off to save energy in battery... just turn it off
when you don;'t need it?

3) Would love to see a wireless version so the coil and transmitter wouldn't be necessary anymore.

how about a SATELLITE COCHLEAR IMPLANT!!!!:fingersx:

Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Good.

1) Long distance to Seattle, have to go there for the CI many times...

2) Metal on my skull, I barely can feel my skin when itching at that area.

3) When people, especially my family pesting me to wear the CI.

4) Too many equipments!!

5) Shallow valley behind my ear.

6) My ear rings everytime I touch the metal on my skull or shake my head.

7) People thought I was hearing person :roll:

8) When I walk around public area with CI, suddenly people scream "That guy have CI!!!"

9) When I wear the CI, my family bothering me to learn how to talk.

I can tell even more..

what is wrong with learning how to talk?

I find that amazing!! I've never ever experienced anything like that, and I've traveled all over the US and Canada since getting my CI!!!

The annoying things from me:

Similar to what sr171soars said, short battery life (I get 2 days out of my 3 batteries), would like them to be more water/sweat resistant even though they market the Freedom as being water resistant I find that it could be more, and the fact there are some bugs like the latex sheathing on the coil splitting. Going wireless would be pretty neat!

Nice solution, get 3 batteries. Use one and charge the others. and when that battery need charging, you recharge that one, then you always can use the other one that is already charged up.

My hubby met some adult CI users at spa clinic at 3 years ago. 2 guys lost their hearing to deaf and decided for CI and thought that CI is better techology.

After CI surgery, they realized that the sound of CI and original hearing are not the same. They feel something "metal" in their head... It memorize in their head when they hear the sounds... They (former hearing) train to hear the sounds. They described to my hubby... before they were hearing and like to hear the sound of spiders walk... flies... rain... after surgery, they don't like the sound... They have to learn to accept the different sounds they were before. Interesting.

At least you got SUPERMAN's hearing.

I've taken note of my beef, here it is:

10 - When it rains, need to carry a container to protect CI
9 - Battery dead unexpectedly when I least need it to
8 - Cant actively move about quickly like I used to
7 - Need to be constantly aware of humidity dosage
6 - Same goes for ocean salt water mist on the beach
5 - Just like women's hair, some good hearing days, some frustrating
4 - Determining when a mapping is necessary
3 - Not waterproof
2 - Equipment suddenly wears out, need replacement ASAP
1 - On rare occasions, head is sore from constantly wearing headpiece

(I'll be damned if David Letterman will come with one on CIs, LOL)

this is bad. can you guys tell the doctor to do something about it?
Like... make battery lasts long time and help you move actively?

Nice solution, get 3 batteries. Use one and charge the others. and when that battery need charging, you recharge that one, then you always can use the other one that is already charged up.

I'm not using rechargeable batteries.

Also, implants aren't like hearing aids; the battery life is dependant on the map you get for your CI.

Also, implants aren't like hearing aids; the battery life is dependant on the map you get for your CI.

Good point - I got about 5 days out of my batteries on the 800cps setting, I get 2 days with 1800 and I think I got just barely 12 hours on the 2400 setting.

Deafilmedia,

Your only suggestion is to turn it off or whatever to save energy, while this may be a good suggestion.

It doesn't help when you are trying to learn to listen. I don't care if a person has had the CI for 20 years, there is always a new sound to identify and get used to hearing.

The point to having a CI is for sound recognition. If we always turned off our CI's then what was the point of getting one?

Not all CI's have rechargable batteries either. And I have yet to find a standard 675 hearing aid battery that is rechargable. Some of those CI's use standard 675 hearing aid batteries.

Also ingoring a sound, while it may be irrating, is not recommended. It is recommended that you identify sounds. The first time I heard the VP ringing I was like huh? whats that? If I had ignored that sound, I would never have identified it as a VP ringing, thus missing alot of calls even with a flasher thingie.

Bear,

3. When first putting on the CI it sounds so loud!! lol

That's normal to me.. Did you watch "Through Deaf Eyes" ? there's a aspect of video made by a filmmaker who has bilateral CI and he showed what happens when he put on his CI... it was titled "Equilibrium" by Adrean Mangiadri, a deaf filmmaker.
[yt]8mhzF8N90Rs[/yt]

and I have always experienced those goof up made by hearings like for example, when I get in the car as passenger, I get jumped because my friends or relatives forgot to turn down the sound before turning stereo off or car off. It will go blaring right away.. same thing when i walk into my dad's den and turn on TV, I jumped back because the tv was so LOUD and I has to turn down quickly.. lol.. same thing when you put on the coil.. it take few seconds to adjust (oh yeah think of it as modem making connection I mean the 56K modem eh.. it will scrreeech and such like that then goes silent after making a final handshake) so you are bound to hear the sound little louder then you get acclimated. You will get used to it over the year.

lolol ... funny and interesting video.

I have experienced sound explosion on occasion with my HAs, when I forgot to turn down the volume from highest to lower after changing battery.... ouch!

Fuzzy

1) Not as sweatproof as I would like it to be.

huh?

2) Short battery life.

can you turn it off to save energy in battery... just turn it off
when you don;'t need it?

3) Would love to see a wireless version so the coil and transmitter wouldn't be necessary anymore.

how about a SATELLITE COCHLEAR IMPLANT!!!!:fingersx:

Otherwise, I have no complaints.

Good.

In reply to #1 - Sweatproof as in when one is sweating and the sweat has the tendency to run over the microphone cover. Not a good thing. I would just like it to be less problematical.

In reply to #2 - That is not an option for me. I much prefer to hear all the time and that uses battery power. I know eventually (maybe the next processor) the processors will use less energy over time as technology always improves things.

In reply to #3 - Ummmm, I can see the potential there to receive music and news in addition to hearing stuff ;)

Back