To declaw cats or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandGal

Reaction score
I had thought about getting my 2 cats declawed but I somehow felt it was kind of cruel so I started to ask around for suggestions and opinions. I decided right away not to have my cats declawed after I saw these websites posted in another forum. I thought I'd share them with other cat owners in here.

Declawing! What You Need To Know

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

Declawing (Warning, there are some pictures that may make you feel sick but there are some stories that are valuable to read.)

The Facts About Declawing

Here is another one

Little Big Cat

What are the potential complications of declawing?

Post-surgical complications: Abscesses and claw regrowth can occur a few weeks to many years after surgery. Chronic or intermittent lameness may develop. In one study that followed cats for only 5 months after surgery, nearly 1/3 of cats developed complications from both declaw and tendonectomy surgeries (digital tendonectomy is a procedure whereby the tendons that extend the toes are cut; it's sometimes promoted as an "alternative" to declawing. However, because these cats require constant maintenance and frequent nail clipping to prevent injury, most are eventually declawed anyway). Biting and urinating outside the litterbox are the most common behavior problems reported, occuring in over 30% of cats.

Pain: It is impossible to know how much chronic pain and suffering declawing causes, because cats are unable to express these in human terms. However, we can compare similar procedures in people. Nearly all human amputees report "phantom" sensations from the amputated part, ranging from merely strange to extremely painful (about 40% of such sensations are categorized as painful). Because declawing involves at least ten separate amputations, it is virtually certain that all declawed cats experience phantom pain in one or more toes. In humans, these sensations continue for life, even when the amputation took place in early childhood. There is no physiological reason that this would not be true for cats; their nervous systems are identical to ours. Cats are stoic creatures, and typically conceal pain or illness until it becomes overwhelming. With chronic pain, they simply learn to live and cope with it. Their behavior may appear "normal," but a lack of overt signs of pain does not mean that they are pain-free.

Joint Stiffness: In declawed (and tendonectomized) cats, the tendons that control the toe joints retract after surgery, and these joints become essentially "frozen." The toes remain fully contracted for the life of the cat. In cats who were declawed many years earlier, these joints often cannot be moved, even under deep anesthesia. The fact that most cats continue to make scratching motions after they are declawed is often said to "prove" that they do not "miss" their claws. However, this behavior is equally well--and more realistically--explained as desperate but ineffective efforts to stretch those stiff toes, legs, shoulders and backs.

Arthritis: Research has shown that, in the immediate post-operative period, newly declawed cats shift their body weight backward onto the large central pads of the feet, and off the sore toes. This effect was significant even when strong pain medication was given, and remained apparent for the duration of the study (up to 40 hours after the surgery). If this altered gait persists over time, it would cause stress on the leg joints and spine, and would lead to damage and arthritic changes in multiple joints. A recent study showed that arthritis of the elbow is very common in older cats. When contacted, the researchers admitted that they did not ask or record whether the cats were declawed, perhaps preferring the "don't ask, don't tell" policy so as not to anger those many veterinarians who make a lot of money from declawing.

Litterbox Problems: Experts say that declawed cats have more litterbox problems than clawed cats, and the statistics prove it. Not many people would choose urine-soaked carpeting (or floorboards, sofa cushions, walls, bedding, or mattresses) over a few scratch marks, but this is a distressingly common outcome. In one survey, 95% of calls about declawed cats related to litterbox problems, while only 46% of clawed cats had such problems - and most of those were older cats, many of them with physical ailments that accounted for the behavior. Some households with declawed cats have spent thousands of dollars replacing drywall, carpets, and subfloors to repair urine damage.

Biting: Some experts believe that cats who are declawed are likely to become biters. Many declawed cats do seem to "notice" that their claws are missing, and turn to biting as a primary means of defense--not a good choice for a cat in a home with children or immunocompromised individuals.

Change in Personality: This is a common complaint: "my cat has never been the same." A friendly, delightful kitten may become a morose, fearful, or reclusive cat, never to recover its natural joy, grace, and love of exploration.

Neglect, Abandonment, and Abuse: Declawing that results in biting or inappropriate elimination outside the litterbox may result in the cat being permanently locked in the basement, dumped at a shelter, or simply abandoned. Many cats are exiled to a life outdoors because of these unwanted behaviors. There, they also risk injury or death by dogs, cars, wild predators, disease, poison, and other hazards of outdoor life; even more so than clawed cats who retain their primary defenses. People who work with feral cat Trap-Neuter-Release programs often find declawed cats in their traps--cats who should never have been outside at all. These cats once had homes, but were abandoned in an alley or field--almost certainly due to behavior problems resulting from declaw surgery. The claim by veterinarians that "declawing keeps cats in their homes" clearly isn't true for these declawed cats who lost their homes and were abandoned to an uncertain fate. There is no way to know how many cats are dumped this way, but based on experiences in Denver, a typical urban environment, the number is likely in the many thousands.

Death: There is always a small but real risk of death from any general anesthesia, as well as from bleeding or other surgical complications. If a declawed cat that develops a behavior problem is taken to a shelter, such behavior makes him unadoptable, and he will promptly be euthanized (killed). For exiled cats, it is unfortunately common for outdoor cats to be stolen and used as defenseless live bait to be torn apart by fighting dogs, or sold to laboratories or biological suppliers. It's an ugly reality that a tame, friendly, declawed cat makes an ideal experimental subject.

Yes.. both cats are declawed.. Vet wont declaw cats unless it is promise to keep cats indoor.... we keep cats indoor... cats has to be 6 months old to be declawed...

I don't think it's cruel, I had my cat front paws declawed and is planning on getting the mother cat and her kittens declawed too, they're all indoor cats..

I don't think it's cruel, I had my cat front paws declawed and is planning on getting the mother cat and her kittens declawed too, they're all indoor cats..

Yeah.. Vet told me he wont declaw any cat unless they are staying indoors.. so both of cats are indoors.. at first i did not want one of cats to be declawed .. but he kept clawing my finger until bleeding while i moved around in my sleep... grrrrr.. and whenever i sit in my computer chair he always climbed on back of chair and it rocked.. so i decided to have him declawed... he was fine with it...

Declawing is definitely cruel. In fact, it changes their body structure in the long run.

They literally rip the claws out of their paws, and yes... it's a painful procedure for the cats to go through with. Try to imagine your fingernails being pulled out of your hands... that's what it's like for the cats.

In fact, it's banned in several countries around the world. It's illegal in United Kingdom for cats to be declawed. Sorry, but I just don't believe it's a necessarity.

Declawing is definitely cruel. In fact, it changes their body structure in the long run.

They literally rip the claws out of their paws, and yes... it's a painful procedure for the cats to go through with. Try to imagine your fingernails being pulled out of your hands... that's what it's like for the cats.

In fact, it's banned in several countries around the world. It's illegal in United Kingdom for cats to be declawed. Sorry, but I just don't believe it's a necessarity.

No Vet does not rip claws out.. they get them under heavy sedation and remove claws..... they would be fine... both of my cats were declawed.. they were not in pain....

Yes and not only the claws are taken out but also pieces of their bones. I just cannot bear the thought of the cats going through it.

I do applaud these countries that ban declawing the cats.

Hon, it's entirely up to you, since they're your cats if you feel it's cruel thing to do to a cat, then don't do it, but I see it differently, I'm sorry and I'm still going ahead with the declaws on my other cat and kittens...

IslandGal.. it is your choice.... both of cats here in my house are happy ...

No Vet does not rip claws out.. they get them under heavy sedation and remove claws..... they would be fine... both of my cats were declawed.. they were not in pain....

Cats are known for hiding their pain. It's in their nature to appear strong and not in pain. It's part of being a predator. They do feel pain, but they're not going to let you know because they view it as a weakness.

Yes, they do rip the claws out. The claws are in fact, attached to their bones. Meaning they have to cut some of the bones along with it. You're only kidding yourself by thinking they won't be in pain after their operations. They are more likely to develop arthritis and other health problems as a result.

If people care more about their furniture than their cats' welfare... then maybe they shouldn't have pets to begin with. If people feel offended by what I said, well... too bad.

The only reason why it's not illegal here or in the USA is because the veterinarians like to profit from these operations. Quite a good amount of veterinarians will refuse to declaw a cat, no matter what because they know it's wrong.

I'm against declawing.

There are better alternatives to declawing, such as using Soft Claws.

Soft%20Claws.jpg

This will prevent cats from scratching up your furniture and scratching you.

Hon, it's entirely up to you, since they're your cats if you feel it's cruel thing to do to a cat, then don't do it, but I see it differently, I'm sorry and I'm still going ahead with the declaws on my other cat and kittens...

There is no need to apologize because I know they are your cats but it was just that I was a bit surprised to see you saying that you think it is not cruel to do that to cats because I thought maybe you would change your mind after looking into these websites but I guess I was wrong.

I am not going to have my cats declawed but I will get these Soft Claws for them.

There is no need to apologize because I know they are your cats but it was just that I was a bit surprised to see you saying that you think it is not cruel to do that to cats because I thought maybe you would change your mind after looking into these websites but I guess I was wrong.

I am not going to have my cats declawed but I will get these Soft Claws for them.

its like this.. having a cat with claws vs. furnitures..... i have a cat myself.. with claws and its ruining my couch especially around the armrests. Its gonna cost me 1,000 dollars or more to get a new couch.. having the cat declawed is much cheaper and more safer if its an inside cat. I wouldn't have it declawed if she goes outside often, but my cat is an inside cat and seriously ruining my couch, love seat and computer chair.

I also.. work at the Vet.. I'm a kennel assistant.. I've watched cats and dogs getting spayed and nuetered.. is it cruel to have them spayed or nuetered.. i think not... its the same as having the cats declawed. Yes the cats do go under heavy sedatives and feel no pain. When the cats wake up.. they get woozy a bit for about a day. Then they're up and running.

I understand you feeling the pain for cats. but think of it as saving money for you and being able to keep your cat inside without worrying what he/she going to tear or rip.

I never have any my cats' declawed at present or in the past. When they were small, if they use scretching or something, I squeezed their paws alittle and say NO NO to let them know they can not use their nails. After few ancidents then they stop using ever since. Same way when I pet kittens, they normal stretching their nails out, I said very lightly no no.... then pet again. They understanding immediately. I kept trimming their nails bi-weekly to keep those nails in good shape. They got used to.

Let me tell you one funny story. One time I took one cat to the Vet, somehow my cat got mad and he was "boxing" with me in front of Vet, immediately the Vet stepped way back. I laughed. Vet came over to me to see if I'm alright and I said of course .. no stretch marks on me at all. My cat didn't use his nails to box with me, he just used both his paws. haha my vet was very impressed about it.

So I just treat kittens as I treated 1-2 yrs old kids (just like if kids wanna to get something off the shelves or tables). Kittens can be smart, they just picked up the idea of no no at usually third time. Perhaps smarter then 2-3 yrs old kids. Kittens/Cats have never ruin my furnitures even antiques ones.

I don't think it's cruel for declawing cats when cats live indoors, but I do think it is cruel for declawing cats when they're living outdoors, they cannot defend themselves against other wild animals.

Why would you want a couch being ripped up by a cat's claws, making your home look like a homeless shelter? You should care about your home as much you'll care about your pets. What about small children? Is it fair for children to get scratches from cats?

Don't judge those cat pet owners if they had their cat delcawed. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back