thedeafcommunity.org controversy

The video was actually closer to 9 minutes, and towards the end there was a reference to "deaf militants".

I think any time someone professes to speak for an entire community, they are doing so in error. I also think that it is wrong to have a hearing person be behind the whole thing, if in fact there were no other individuals who are deaf involved.

I also get the vibe that Tina's idea of deaf militants is really off base and outdated. Yes, there are hardcore people who are against CI.....but acceptance of CI has grown by leaps and bounds. It's no longer 1994 anymore. I almost get the vibe the ONLY reason she calls Deaf people "militant" is that overall we think that Dhh kids should have BOTH speech and Sign. I feel sorry for her kid. Chances are that her kid will become fluent in ASL and experiance the same thing we have and did.
I wish I could point her to some of the amazing programs where dhh kids learn both speech skills (and good ones) and ASL skills!

I'll have to put that on my resume that I'm "orally skilled." Maybe Mass Rehab can help me coin other words that won't offend anyone on my medical documentation too. You know how ignorant doctors are....

I agree with what someone else said eariler in the thread, this isn't anything to get heated about. But then the deaf are hung up on labels and I see them thrown out left and right here. If everyone is so upset with her video, make one of your own and post it next to hers. Surely someone can put that together given all the skilled people on the board.

Laura

I'll have to put that on my resume that I'm "orally skilled." Maybe Mass Rehab can help me coin other words that won't offend anyone on my medical documentation too. You know how ignorant doctors are....

I agree with what someone else said eariler in the thread, this isn't anything to get heated about. But then the deaf are hung up on labels and I see them thrown out left and right here. If everyone is so upset with her video, make one of your own and post it next to hers. Surely someone can put that together given all the skilled people on the board.

Laura

they already did... in OP

and what happened in return? Tina Morris' lying and hiding around. "Amy". "Louis". real nice.

Laura

The video is not hers. The video is about her. It's not about labels.

Probably didn't put enough sarcasm in that. I don't really recommend anyone type that into google.

The video is not hers. The video is about her. It's not about labels.

Exactly.

I think my whole disgust with the situation really boils down to her use of "entire". If she had an oral-only agenda, all she had to do was say her website was for the oral-only deaf. Anybody wanting to put up a website for oral-only deaf certainly can. Anybody wanting to put up a website for ASL-only certainly can. Anybody wanting to put up a website for HA-only certainly can. And so on. You get the picture. She didn't need to hide behind a fake front and lump everyone together.

And her "bullies" section? Please.

This video is circulating all over the internet and FB, which is where I first saw it.

How about orally skilled? I think that's a better term.

No it's not. It's a reference with sexual overtures. Certainly not one that I'd feel very comfortable saying. I get picked on enough already as is. I can talk and I never use the oral word. I'm Deaf and yes I can talk.

No it's not. It's a reference with sexual overtures. Certainly not one that I'd feel very comfortable saying. I get picked on enough already as is. I can talk and I never use the oral word. I'm Deaf and yes I can talk.

lol.... didn't think of that.

Laura

Good thought. Hopefully it will bring you offers entirely commensurate with your ability. :thumb:

and those of you bitching and moaning about how the Deaf community likes to "label" people....No they don't. It's just a word describing an IDENTITY...... you'll see the same thing in other social groups.

Back