thedeafcommunity.org controversy

Nice try...

You might want to check your attitude. It's making you feel unwelcome to other people. I don't know why you're trying to create some passive-aggressive hostility in here.

so have you seen the video? what do you think? you support it?

Whether my reading of Heather Marsdan article from Deaf Canada today is "correct" for other countries-unknown.

Last edited:
:wave:Presumably the "local Deaf community" made up of various persons of which "deaf Militants' might be the majority. That fact might make some interactions in counterdistinction to one without

aside: whether such a situation exists in the "small city" where I live-not sure.

:wave:Presumably the "local Deaf community" made up of various persons of which "deaf Militants' might be the majority. That fact might make some interactions in counterdistinction to one without

aside: whether such a situation exists in the "small city" where I live-not sure.

Why your insistence on talking about deaf militants? Where in the video was this addressed? Hint: it wasn't.

Did you watch the video before bothering to respond here, or did you decide to just spout off more of your deaf militant nonsense?

The video wasn't even about who belongs in the d/Deaf community, deaf militants or not. The video was a response to the website's owner purporting to support the entire (the word ENTIRE was bolded) deaf community, yet the only thing she focuses on is oral-only. Forget the rest of the d/Deaf.

Sorry if I take offense that her idea of the ENTIRE d/Deaf community is oral-only. And she's using the website to hide behind authoring a few bills that are for oral-only purposes. It's a sham.

Why your insistence on talking about deaf militants? Where in the video was this addressed? Hint: it wasn't.

Did you watch the video before bothering to respond here, or did you decide to just spout off more of your deaf militant nonsense?

The video wasn't even about who belongs in the d/Deaf community, deaf militants or not. The video was a response to the website's owner purporting to support the entire (the word ENTIRE was bolded) deaf community, yet the only thing she focuses on is oral-only. Forget the rest of the d/Deaf.

Sorry if I take offense that her idea of the ENTIRE d/Deaf community is oral-only. And she's using the website to hide behind authoring a few bills that are for oral-only purposes. It's a sham.

The video was actually closer to 9 minutes, and towards the end there was a reference to "deaf militants".

I think any time someone professes to speak for an entire community, they are doing so in error. I also think that it is wrong to have a hearing person be behind the whole thing, if in fact there were no other individuals who are deaf involved.

The video was actually closer to 9 minutes, and towards the end there was a reference to "deaf militants".

I think any time someone professes to speak for an entire community, they are doing so in error. I also think that it is wrong to have a hearing person be behind the whole thing, if in fact there were no other individuals who are deaf involved.

You are right that there was a reference at the end to deaf militants - I think just one screen of it. (I had forgotten it was there because it wasn't the purpose of the video at all.) :ty:

You might want to check your attitude. It's making you feel unwelcome to other people. I don't know why you're trying to create some passive-aggressive hostility in here.

so have you seen the video? what do you think? you support it?

You're not the hall monitor, Jiro.

Speaking the truth doesn't always make you welcome. I thought you would have already figured that out.

You're not the hall monitor, Jiro.
so you're not gonna answer the questions? this thread is about the video. the OP was asking for anybody's thought about thedeafcommunity.org and you haven't said anything except to complain about d(D)eaf community which is off-topic.

Speaking the truth doesn't always make you welcome.
I doubt that's the case. "It's not what you say... it's how you say it." However, I don't know that for sure because I've never met you but it's the impression I get from you based on your posts in here.

like I said - you're more then welcome enough to join me in Boston this Friday evening and I'm happy enough to introduce you to dozens of deaf people. We'll be at Jillian's. everybody will be there - deafies, CODA, terps, ASL students, ASL teachers, oral deafies (like me), etc.

I thought you would have already figured that out.
nobody especially deafies from your state has figured out what you're saying.

I did answer the question. The original poster asked for my thoughts. The OP is mad because the woman says she represents the deaf community. I asked what the issue is because, based on the OP's logic, who is to say the woman doesn't represent the deaf community any more than the OP does.

I also posted what is now commonly known acceptance into the deaf community. Of course, I posted source because, obviously, I know nothing about the deaf community or any people attached to it. As the OP had stated, I live under a rock.

So, I ask the OP again? What's the issue? What makes you think the woman doesn't speak for the deaf community?

It's the OP's thread. I'm sure OP can answer in her own thread without benefit of help.

I did answer the question. The original poster asked for my thoughts. The OP is mad because the woman says she represents the deaf community.
not quite. we're angry because that woman was operating in the manner of dishonesty and obfuscation. we would have no problem with her setting up such an organization whatever and however she wants as long as it's clear to everybody what her agenda is but the way she operated was dishonest and unethical.

I asked what the issue is because, based on the OP's logic, who is to say the woman doesn't represent the deaf community any more than the OP does.
in case you didn't know - several well-known big deaf organizations' views are in agreement with the OP as well as other deafies in this thread and they are against thedeafcommunity for misleading people.

I also posted what is now commonly known acceptance into the deaf community. Of course, I posted source because, obviously, I know nothing about the deaf community or any people attached to it. As the OP had stated, I live under a rock.

So, I ask the OP again? What's the issue? What makes you think the woman doesn't speak for the deaf community?

It's the OP's thread. I'm sure OP can answer in her own thread without benefit of help.

nice try but no you didn't really answer the question. this is about thedeafcommunity.org site... not the deaf community.

a simple question is - what do you think of the thedeafcommunity owner's action behind this? do you find her method very shady or not? do you support it?

I did answer the question. The original poster asked for my thoughts. The OP is mad because the woman says she represents the deaf community. I asked what the issue is because, based on the OP's logic, who is to say the woman doesn't represent the deaf community any more than the OP does.

Becoming ridiculous here.

1) I am not mad.

2) If you want her representation of the "ENTIRE" deaf community (again, bolded in the video) to be oral-only, then that's your choice, I suppose. (Extremely ironic given all your other posts as of late vehemently opposing who exactly belongs in the d/Deaf community.) Do you not understand? If anything, you and I are on the same side here in regards to that a d/Deaf community is not comprised only of oral-only. The bills she is sponsoring/authoring in legislature are oral-only, and exclude sign.

I fail to understand why on earth you are being hostile in this thread. I understand you don't like my posts and opinions. But instead of taking it out inappropriately and on everyone, take it up via PM.

so you're not gonna answer the questions? this thread is about the video. the OP was asking for anybody's thought about thedeafcommunity.org and you haven't said anything except to complain about d(D)eaf community which is off-topic.

I doubt that's the case. "It's not what you say... it's how you say it." However, I don't know that for sure because I've never met you but it's the impression I get from you based on your posts in here.

like I said - you're more then welcome enough to join me in Boston this Friday evening and I'm happy enough to introduce you to dozens of deaf people. We'll be at Jillian's. everybody will be there - deafies, CODA, terps, ASL students, ASL teachers, oral deafies (like me), etc.

nobody especially deafies from your state has figured out what you're saying.

You classify yourself as oral deaf?

not quite. we're angry because that woman was operating in the manner of dishonesty and obfuscation. we would have no problem with her setting up such an organization whatever and however she wants as long as it's clear to everybody what her agenda is but the way she operated was dishonest and unethical.

in case you didn't know - several well-known big deaf organizations' views are in agreement with the OP as well as other deafies in this thread and they are against thedeafcommunity for misleading people.

nice try but no you didn't really answer the question. this is about thedeafcommunity.org site... not the deaf community.

a simple question is - what do you think of the thedeafcommunity owner's action behind this? do you find her method very shady or not? do you support it?

I agree Jiro, exactly. misleading to owner. that is why it is serious thedeafcommunity public reason disgrace. we are already know . we not happy to review thedeafcommunity sites. it is very serious.. you know on right

thedeafcommunity owner's not imply is dishonest.. won't support!

I classify myself as deaf. I'm just putting out all kinds of labels because we are inclusive, not exclusive. and no one cares if I can talk.

He shouldn't because I saw him a few weeks ago and his ASL has improved so much since I saw him 3 years ago. Lol

He shouldn't because I saw him a few weeks ago and his ASL has improved so much since I saw him 3 years ago. Lol

I agree that I saw him three years ago and saw him again thru vp recently. Its a big different from three years ago. HIs ASl has been improved way more than I thought. :D I hope to meet you and jiro in the fall. I know I talk too much but need to take an action!

Last edited:
oh oops - I meant "the talking deaf". not to be confused with oralism or oralist or similar. :)

Back