Tattoos on Interpreters

breelligerent

Reaction score
Hey all! :wave: What is your opinion on interpreters with tattoos?

I decided recently that I want to be an interpreter. It's too bad that I didn't realize that before I got my two tattoos! :roll: I have a large dark one on my left forearm and a tiny one (smaller than a dime) on my left hand under the pinky finger knuckle.

I know that I will need to cover them when I work. Interpreters are supposed to fade into the background, not draw attention for whatever reason. I'm not a huge fan of long sleeves.

What do you think of something like this product: Tattoo Cover Up Covers ? Would it be distracting? Have you used an interpreter that had tattoos?

I guess you need to try out the cover up product on your own arm to see how it looks. A lot probably depends on your skin tone and texture.

If your tattoo isn't too low on the arm, you could maybe wear 3/4 sleeves. They're a little more comfortable than full length.

Acceptability of tattoos depends on the clients but in general, I would say most don't want them to show. It's a distraction, just like piercings, bright hair color, patterned clothing, etc.

I guess you need to try out the cover up product on your own arm to see how it looks. A lot probably depends on your skin tone and texture.

If your tattoo isn't too low on the arm, you could maybe wear 3/4 sleeves. They're a little more comfortable than full length.

Acceptability of tattoos depends on the clients but in general, I would say most don't want them to show. It's a distraction, just like piercings, bright hair color, patterned clothing, etc.

I don't believe that 3/4 sleeves would cover it much, unfortunately. I'd much prefer to wear those than full sleeves! I'll definitely play around with covers. I just don't want them to have a shine or restrict movement, because I think those would be too distracting for the consumer. Is that accurate?

:ty: Thank you for your info! I know you're one of the most respected terps and just general poster on the forums and I appreciate your knowledge.

Long sleeves, black are helpful for people with low vision.

Thanks for asking that, I had been wondering myself! Mine starts at my wrist and goes up my arm, so I see long sleeves in my future for interpreting. Whoops!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Bottesini said:
Long sleeves, black are helpful for people with low vision.

More specifical - a colour that contrasts the interpreters skin colour.

For those with light coloured skin, clothing should be solid dark colours (black, navy, burgandy, dark green). For those with dark skin light colours (white, tan/beige, light blues etc).

nah jsut say you discovered deafs are pissed off too, they like punk rock too LOL

For those with light coloured skin, clothing should be solid dark colours (black, navy, burgandy, dark green). For those with dark skin light colours (white, tan/beige, light blues etc).

Specifical? Right, I guess I shouldn't assume people could extrapolate.

Bottesini said:

Specifical? Right, I guess I shouldn't assume people could extrapolate.

Here ... Never know ;)

I know several interpreters with wrist/forearm tattoos, including one of the best terps I know. He wears an opaque sleeve, kind of like http://www.amazon.com/AlphaBrace-Compression-Support-Forearm-Brace/dp/B002STWEX2 but matching his skin tone (no colored stitching). You can barely tell the sleeve is there, let alone a tattoo under it.

Another friend with a tattoo on her wrist has one of http://www.amazon.com/Wrist-Support-Around-Elastic-Black/dp/B0006GDAUU/ to cover it up but she doesn't always wear it and hasn't had complaints.

That product doesn't seem like it would be too distracting, but it does seem like it would be a hassle for you every day, as would makeup. I would see about some sort of fabric cover up that's easy to put on and take off quickly.

Back