Switched At Birth - Cancelled (cue The Hearie Outcry)

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
My niece called me today in tears because her favourite show was cancelled; Switched at Birth.

I was delighted as I hate that show with every fiber of my being, but the thing that really struck me was she said to me 'But Maisie, you guys won't be represented anymore. People were just starting to understand..'

This got to me a bit, because she does have a point; Switched at Birth did bring a lot of recognition to a lot of deaf issues and just us as people who are deaf in general. Granted that it did glamorize being deaf.

What do you guys think? I just thought it was an interesting thought process and my niece was generally horrified at the fact that she can't talk about Switched at Birth and her 'cool deaf aunt' at school anymore because the show is ending

Do hearing people demand this shows to be cancelled?

Hate to see deaf actors out of a job, but if it subdues the teen girl cool factor a bit that will be a plus.

Agreed. But at least now we'll hopefully see those actors going on to do better things. Can always use more deaf actors in Hollywood :mrgreen:

Do hearing people demand this shows to be cancelled?

If that were true there would have been a lot more cancellations than there were over the years lol.

Likely budget or TPTB decided.

*TPTB-- "The Powers That Be" aka Management or CEO or whoever is running the network.

I doubt that. Shows come to an end for many reasons.

If that were true there would have been a lot more cancellations than there were over the years lol.

Likely budget or TPTB decided.

*TPTB-- "The Powers That Be" aka Management or CEO or whoever is running the network.

Ok, that why I got confused with "que The Hearie Outcry" on title.

It looks like contract could be expired and the producer decides not review - that what I learned from MTV about education with TV production.

It looks like contract could be expired and the producer decides not review - that what I learned from MTV about education with TV production.
It should be "cue."

Ahh I see your confusion- makes sense. She meant cue the 'hearing fans/teenybopper fans of the show'.

I think I only saw one or two episodes of the show. The only one I remember was the one that was entirely signed except for the last line.

Ahh I see your confusion- makes sense. She meant cue the 'hearing fans/teenybopper fans of the show'.

I think I only saw one or two episodes of the show. The only one I remember was the one that was entirely signed except for the last line.

Yeah that's what I meant. Oops! Sorry. I didn't mean to confuse you all :hug:

I liked the show for the story part, hated that everyone was like 'oh you must watch switched at birth since you can sign'..... I also hated my hearing friends that wanted to be deaf to learn asl.... so I am not to sad but at the same time I liked the idea and story of the show.

I am currently watching the first season. It is definitely a teen soap opera. I do actually enjoy seeing the signing. I don't like the poor signing skills from Regina but other than that it's not too bad. Yeah I know there are times where the Deaf person just magically can hear or lip read everything the hearing person says but I guess that's the TV show's pacing, otherwise it would take hours to really make it realistic. Just my thoughts. :)

Back