student in Austin, Tx

sunflower05

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm an asl student from austin, I am starting an asl club at my school-the first one ever! We have a HUGE deaf community in austin that I'm DYING to get involved in but I was wondering if you had any ideas on fun activities and whatnot that my club could go do or how we could get more involved? Thanks so much for any suggestions you have, they are much appreciated! :wiggle:
Sunflower

Have the hearing kids spend time being "deaf" wearing earplugs to see what it's like to be deaf or hard of hearing.

Make arrangements for the hearing students to attend a deaf club event and so forth..in order for them to have the chance to interact with other deafies. :)

Austin Deaf meetings

I'd only heard of one group that meets way south once a month. I'd like to be part of something closer to downtown.

I've just moved from Houston and am learning ASL on my own. I'm looking for more social and practice groups in Austin!

Tell us more!

-John

So what happned to sunflower?

Posted, asked for response, but doesn't seem to be here anymore!

johnesco said:
I'd only heard of one group that meets way south once a month. I'd like to be part of something closer to downtown.

I've just moved from Houston and am learning ASL on my own. I'm looking for more social and practice groups in Austin!

Tell us more!

-John
The deaf club on Slaughter lane is ALOT of fun and is open alot. They have TINGO on the first Friday of every month and other things on other nights. There are also things that go on at the school for the deaf. Austin is a really neat city with lots of things to do and a quite established deaf community so I'm sure if you ask around you will find alot.

Tingo?

My wildest guess is that TINGO is BINGO minus a B (due to looking like a 4?)

Thanks for the info, but I'm very new to Austin so if you have any exact addresses or web sites, it would help.

Thanks!
John

Thanks for the info

Thanks! I'm going to try to make it to bowling tomorrow!

-John

Bowling leage

I did have a good time meeting new people, but the league was not for casual bowlers, they are meeting once a week for many games of bowling. My ASL was, of course, much slower than anyone else's there, but I found I could communicate, but I just didn't feel I could commit the BOWLING time required.

I'm still looking for a chat/social group.. and I'm looking for work at the Texas School for the Deaf as they have many positions that do not require a high level of ASL as long as you are willing to learn fast.

PS.. can someone tell me how to sign "casual" I kept signing "NOT SERIOUS" but that didn't quite have the same meaning to me.

-John

I don't know casual. But now I'm curious.
Have you checked out the deaf club? They have quite a few social events there.

Finding a job

I've been too busy looking for work... but do eventually want to find a nice friendly ASL chat group so that I can practice and learn.

Where should I check out next?

You can email me direct at john[at]citycafe.com

-John

*waves* I lived in auz, n im deaf lol but I relocated to houston last month.. I'd say just go to any of the TSD games, but be wary-some of the kids can be cruel lol, basketball seasonls started..deaf club's usually most of the older people (im 18 so tht shld give u an idea of what "older" is for me) :)

I have a cousin and a few deaf friends that lives in Austin, too.

Hey. Austin and San Marcos has a strong deaf community. The deaf community in San Marcos is Texas State University, and very active with outreach programs, free ASL beginner classes and stuff. They also go up to Austin occasionally go to various event like deaf socials at Travis HS and other events like occasionally open captioned movie.

Austin community tied to San Marcos, and we do many thing together. Also want to say San Marcos have Deaf World event during Deaf Awareness Week in March. You can IM me to talk more if want to.

Last edited:
TheSpirit said:
Hey. Austin and San Marcos has a strong deaf community. The deaf community in San Marcos is Texas State University, and very active with outreach programs, free ASL beginner classes and stuff. They also go up to Austin occasionally go to various event like deaf socials at Travis HS and other events like occasionally open captioned movie.

Austin community tied to San Marcos, and we do many thing together. Also want to say San Marcos have Deaf World event during Deaf Awareness Week in March. You can IM me to talk more if want to.
Sigh.. i miss that strong community so much.. It was a lot of fun. Someone needs to get the people in Omaha organized like they are in San Marcus/Austin.

Back