Speech reading barriers

Did you reply the same way? "Yeeeeessss.... IIIIIII... caaaaaaannnnnn." ;)

:laugh2::laugh2:

Haha, No. I don't think I would want to look stupid by doing that. When they do that, I usually make a weird look and I'm like......"Uh Okay."

Last night at the public library, I was on volunteer duty, returning books to the shelves. A young lady approached already speaking in a rapid and breathless manner:

". . . uh . . . you know . . . like . . . lost my book . . . your book . . . the library’s book . . . that was . . . you know . . . I mean . . . like due last . . . um . . . week . . . you know. . . ."

Held up my hand to stop her. “I’m deaf,” I said, also making the sign for deaf. “But I can speech read if you can go a bit slower.” By that time I had waded through her lip movements, shrugs, and facial contortions to understand that she was trying to say: “I can’t find my overdue library book. What do I do now?”

She then spoke v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. “Is . . . uh . . . some . . . uh . . . one . . . some . . . body . . . you know . . . a person . . . that . . . ur . . . can . . . like, you know . . . talk . . . and . . . um . . . here?”

The last phrase could have been “can talk and hear” or “can talk here.” Who knows? But it was delivered with a deep frown, eyes darting around like she was looking for an escape route.

Anyway, I said, “Sure. I’ll take you to the checkout desk to speak to the librarian.”

She never smiled, never looked grateful, never offered thanks, but when we got to the desk, she said to the librarian (not to me, the retard), “He . . . um . . . like . . . you know . . . talks . . . um . . . I mean . . . real . . . um . . . good.”

Lots better than you, I thought, but didn’t say out loud. If you speech read, what are some of the barriers you encounter?
I am a hearing person and I know that teenagers (like myself) and children always throw words such as "like" or "um.." and other phrases like those that into their speech. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lipread when people pause and use unnecessary words in their speech.

I am a hearing person and I know that teenagers (like myself) and children always throw words such as "like" or "um.." and other phrases like those that into their speech. I can only imagine how hard it must be to lipread when people pause and use unnecessary words in their speech.

Seeing the problem is sometimes the beginning of the solution, so thank you. But the barriers caused by filler phrases, kewl talk, and expletives isn't just on the part of children and teens.

On a recent People's Court TV broadcast, I saw by closed captions a 24-year-old repeating a conversation:

"I was like ya know who're you to diss me, and she's all like she's I mean so glitter and we're like so gutter what crap ya know." Ha ha ha, the judge had to stop and ask for a translation.

You're right; it's pure hell for speech readers.

:laugh2::laugh2:

Haha, No. I don't think I would want to look stupid by doing that. When they do that, I usually make a weird look and I'm like......"Uh Okay."
Hahaha...

Well, someone did that to me once. I replied like a normal person. The face expression they made... priceless. ;)

But the barriers caused by filler phrases, kewl talk, and expletives isn't just on the part of children and teens.

On a recent People's Court TV broadcast, I saw by closed captions a 24-year-old repeating a conversation:

"I was like ya know who're you to diss me, and she's all like she's I mean so glitter and we're like so gutter what crap ya know." Ha ha ha, the judge had to stop and ask for a translation.

That kind of conversations drives me up the wall! The judge is not the only one who would like a translation.

Also it's no wonder why young people question themselves of why they can't get pass the first interview for a job!

That kind of conversations drives me up the wall! The judge is not the only one who would like a translation.

Also it's no wonder why young people question themselves of why they can't get pass the first interview for a job!

Agreed. Also, it's already confusing when things are broken in a sentence. That kind of thing flies over my head and I'm like... "Say what? You lost me."

Gee I oughta kick myself in the head because I tend to use the word "like" in some of the sentences but I try not to make it a habit to talk like that. :lol:

Agreed. Also, it's already confusing when things are broken in a sentence. That kind of thing flies over my head and I'm like... "Say what? You lost me."

I don't usually get to say even that. While I'm still trying to fit meanings and context, those kinds of speakers roll their eyes, say "never mind," and are gone.

"Never-minds" are another big barrier to speech reading. Having had it happen a number of times, lots of us speech readers are intimidated into rushing our conclusions of what's said -- not wanting them to repeat, as it's usually in the same confusing style.

What is even worse is something like:
""Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

From wikipedia ( Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." is a grammatically correct sentence used as an example of how homonyms and homophones can be used to construct complicated constructs. It has been discussed in literature since 1972 when the sentence was used by William J. Rapaport, currently an associate professor at the University at Buffalo.[1] It was posted to Linguist List by Rapaport in 1992.[2] It was also featured in Steven Pinker's 1994 book The Language Instinct. Sentences of this type, although not in such a refined form, have been known for a long time. A classic example is the proverb "Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you".

Sentence construction

The sentence is unpunctuated and uses three different readings of the word "buffalo". In order of their first use, these are

* c. The city of Buffalo, New York (or any other place named "Buffalo"), which is used as an adjective in the sentence and is followed by the animal;
* a. The animal buffalo, in the plural (equivalent to "buffaloes"), in order to avoid articles (a noun);
* v. The verb "buffalo" meaning to bully, confuse, deceive, or intimidate.

Marking each "buffalo" with its use as shown above gives

Buffaloc buffaloa Buffaloc buffaloa buffalov buffalov Buffaloc buffaloa.

Thus, the sentence when parsed reads as a description of the pecking order in the social hierarchy of buffaloes living in Buffalo:

[Those] (Buffalo buffalo) [whom] (Buffalo buffalo buffalo) buffalo (Buffalo buffalo).
[Those] buffalo(es) from Buffalo [that are intimidated by] buffalo(es) from Buffalo intimidate buffalo(es) from Buffalo.
Bison from Buffalo, New York who are intimidated by other bison in their community also happen to intimidate other bison in their community. [...]

... This Buffalo is confused.... :hmm:

No, there is a certain look..I think others who grew up orally know what I am talking about. With that big "Joker"-like grin and the constant nodding of the head but the conversation is one-way with me doing the talking rather than two-way with a healthy dialogue. It is hard to explain via Internet but I know when someone really doesnt want to deal with me simply because of my different needs of communication as a deaf person.

Nervous grin? Sometimes I wonder how much the person understand my speech.

I don't usually get to say even that. While I'm still trying to fit meanings and context, those kinds of speakers roll their eyes, say "never mind," and are gone.

"Never-minds" are another big barrier to speech reading. Having had it happen a number of times, lots of us speech readers are intimidated into rushing our conclusions of what's said -- not wanting them to repeat, as it's usually in the same confusing style.

I fix them with my piercing gaze. Honestly, if I want to communicate with them, they don't usually dare leave! Sometimes they can't understand me, but I make them do that too!

No, there is a certain look..I think others who grew up orally know what I am talking about. With that big "Joker"-like grin and the constant nodding of the head but the conversation is one-way with me doing the talking rather than two-way with a healthy dialogue. It is hard to explain via Internet but I know when someone really doesnt want to deal with me simply because of my different needs of communication as a deaf person.

That grin, i see it all the time too, i hate it also its so patronising. yea i noticed that too the one way thing it's like they somehow closed up with a wall in a way that make it so unconfortable to beg to repeat or parapharse or 'come down' on a level for commonication - not to 'order' us.

That grin, i see it all the time too, i hate it also its so patronising. yea i noticed that too the one way thing it's like they somehow closed up with a wall in a way that make it so unconfortable to beg to repeat or parapharse or 'come down' on a level for commonication - not to 'order' us.

To me, it is like they are ready to get themselves out of this situation as fast as they can.

Indeed, It's as if we are lost into translation. Also, when someone pronounces the numbers, it can be confusing. For instance, a person would say 15 and I'd have probably think the person is saying 50. There are also some words that are pronounced in a similar way but yet, it is totally different. It's already bad enough when things are already thrown out of the loop.

Indeed, It's as if we are lost into translation. Also, when someone pronounces the numbers, it can be confusing. For instance, a person would say 15 and I'd have probably think the person is saying 50. There are also some words that are pronounced in a similar way but yet, it is totally different. It's already bad enough when things are already thrown out of the loop.

I have the same issues with the numbers too. I always ask them "as in five and zero or as in one and five." That is when people give me this weird look but I have to compensate somehow..:)

I have the same issues with the numbers too. I always ask them "as in five and zero or as in one and five." That is when people give me this weird look but I have to compensate somehow..:)

Yeah, I don't know what's worse by getting a weird look or just to shrug it off. I've often got attitudes from others with a frustrated sigh or plenty of "never-minds". Like you, I have to compensate it one way or other. At times, there will be people who are nice enough to clear it up but that isn't always the case for the rest of them.

I do that, too. Apparently I couldn't hear the 'n' in the end so I had to ask to just make sure. I also prefer someone to say 'can not' rather than 'can't'. I have read that it is vowels that is very easy for us to hear but it is some of the consonants that are difficult for us.

Once at NTID, I saw a poster that shows how we really hear. It showed a paragraph where some of the consonants were missing. How can one understand it like that? It is difficult to figure out what the poster was saying but I got it. I wish I knew where to buy that poster.

Last night at the public library, I was on volunteer duty, returning books to the shelves. A young lady approached already speaking in a rapid and breathless manner:

". . . uh . . . you know . . . like . . . lost my book . . . your book . . . the library’s book . . . that was . . . you know . . . I mean . . . like due last . . . um . . . week . . . you know. . . ."

Hell, I'm hearing and I think I would have stopped her and told her to slow down too!

I was in a department store with a friend, bought a sweater. The teenybopper behind the counter with her bubble hairdo looked and said:

"Oh, like, wow, y'know, like that sweater is like, totally, like...raw!"

Her coworker chimed in, "Yeah, it's really, like y'know, totally like, tubular!"

At that point my friend leaned forward and calmly asked, "Excuse me, do you have a glossary?"

The girl looked confused, and asked, "like...what?"

"You know, a glossary," my friend repeated.

The girl looked left, right, then gave a perfunctory confused glance under the counter, looked up and said "um....no..."

"Never mind." :lol:

Back