signal clicker flashers for deaf drivers

webexplorer

Reaction score
Sound Matters

Hearing-impaired drivers face unique challenges.

Q I have been hard of hearing for some time. That means I have trouble hearing the turn signal clicker, so I often fail to turn it off if it does not cancel after a turn. I also have trouble hearing sirens until the emergency vehicle is almost on top of me. Is there anything that can help?

A It is estimated that nearly 28 million Americans, more than 9 percent of the population, suffer from some sort of hearing loss, so you are not alone. Fortunately, there are devices available that may be able to help you drive more safely.

The turn signal flasher unit in most cars controls both the flashing of the turn signal lights and makes the distinctive clicking sound that alerts drivers with normal hearing of its operation. Some auto parts stores sell flashers that are noticeably louder than others, so you may want to see if a replacement part is available for your car.

Flasher units simply plug into an electrical socket, so making the swap should be easy – once you locate the unit. Finding it, however, can be a challenge. Vehicle makers hide it in a wide range of locations. Fortunately, finding a working unit is made easier by the ability of the mechanic doing the work to zero in on the sound it makes when operating. Many auto parts stores also have charts showing the location of the turn signal flasher in many makes and models.

At one time, some manufacturers offered turn signal flashers that clicked louder after they had been on for about 45 seconds. Also, there are relatively easy to install warning lights, available at some auto parts stores and from mail-order suppliers, that are far brighter than the pale green turn signal indicator lights on the instrument panel.

As for sirens, there are special devices that warn a hearing-impaired driver of an approaching emergency vehicle. Some units are so sophisticated that they can distinguish between a wailing siren and the blare of car horn. For more information, contact the appropriate social services organization in your area for referrals to companies that provide products and services for hearing-impaired drivers.

(This article is from AAA Journeys, AAA Journeys Magazine - Zip Code Verification)

As for sirens, there are special devices that warn a hearing-impaired driver of an approaching emergency vehicle. Some units are so sophisticated that they can distinguish between a wailing siren and the blare of car horn. For more information, contact the appropriate social services organization in your area for referrals to companies that provide products and services for hearing-impaired drivers.

What happened to good old fashion keeping an eye on traffic all around? Works for me! I have a hard time understand why this is a challenge for anybody deaf. What do we have here...driving coffins?

*driving coffins* good point!

in all seriousness, i sometimes forget to turn off my turn singal, BUT i do check now and then when i relize it left it on i just * off* it as for sirens i always have my eyes on road and rear veiw mirrors and doing the 2 thousand alliagtor check on both sides to ensure there is no emergency vechiles on either side but 99% of the time i pull over before ANYONE does and has confused hearies who are in my vechile, dad was one of them and the expression on his face was like HUH? and i said u'll see in a second, and 2 seconds later zoom they pass me after me pulling over under a minute before they came up and dad's like whoa! how did u know and how can u hear, i said dad; the mirrors are my * ears* he :-X on that, and same time mom asked me why i pulled over and i said fire department is coming she was like looking around and i said see 3 blocks over? no left or right turn lights on so i knew it was coming towards us and going at high rate of speed so i knew to just pull over, other time i pulled over cuz of cops flying by so i pulled over and there was several cops going by and the last one pulled up behind me i was like wtf! he just came up to say thanks for pulling over and i said i saw u guys a mile back going high rate so i practice safety :-D and he said they shld do the same if they d get off the cell phones! and he left and i went on my merry way, think about it we use our eyes instead of our ears SO PLEASE put away ur SIDEKICK AND UR BB AND UR TREO WHEN ON THE ROAD! and pull over for emergency vechiles!

Uh, I am driving my homemade black coffin car. It fills with bones. I saved them for my two dogs for their snacks.

I have never seen the signal clickers and the type of the sirens for the device. Now, I see your point. I guess that I take your advice.

Maybe, all new cars will have a video camera in the back of the car. I hope that it is not required by the law. I think it is a good idea to have one that would make them to pay attention to make sure there is no child behind the car.

Actually, most deaf people are good drivers. :wiggle:

I tried to convince my friend not to use the SK2 when he drives on the road. He does that all the times. I wished that his SK2's batteries die ...or I would use a special little device button to shut it down without his knowledge.

Simple... be more alert.

Make it a habit to check your board from time to time.

If you were low on gas or low on oil, the same excuse applies... "I didn't know." Why? Because the warning light appeared and you didn't look. So, the same thing applies to the blinker. If you're driving and you forgot to turn off your blinker, checking the board frequently will help you realize you forgot to turn off your blinker.

As for emergency vehicles, staying alert still applies. Look around you and observe your surroundings. If you're at a stop light and you notice the car next to you moving out of the way, check your mirror and look around. It's probably cuz an emergency vehicle is approaching. If you're on the road, check your mirror often.

A good driver is always alert... not only by sound... but by sight too.

*driving coffins* good point!

in all seriousness, i sometimes forget to turn off my turn singal, BUT i do check now and then when i relize it left it on i just * off* it as for sirens i always have my eyes on road and rear veiw mirrors and doing the 2 thousand alliagtor check on both sides to ensure there is no emergency vechiles on either side but 99% of the time i pull over before ANYONE does and has confused hearies who are in my vechile, dad was one of them and the expression on his face was like HUH? and i said u'll see in a second, and 2 seconds later zoom they pass me after me pulling over under a minute before they came up and dad's like whoa! how did u know and how can u hear, i said dad; the mirrors are my * ears* he :-X on that, and same time mom asked me why i pulled over and i said fire department is coming she was like looking around and i said see 3 blocks over? no left or right turn lights on so i knew it was coming towards us and going at high rate of speed so i knew to just pull over, other time i pulled over cuz of cops flying by so i pulled over and there was several cops going by and the last one pulled up behind me i was like wtf! he just came up to say thanks for pulling over and i said i saw u guys a mile back going high rate so i practice safety :-D and he said they shld do the same if they d get off the cell phones! and he left and i went on my merry way, think about it we use our eyes instead of our ears SO PLEASE put away ur SIDEKICK AND UR BB AND UR TREO WHEN ON THE ROAD! and pull over for emergency vechiles!

Heh I did it once, but I think I confused other drivers and even made em angry because I pulled over to slow lane and went slow so that they can pass by. I don't know if the drivers were actually aware that they were coming or just because I slow down on the slow lane. I tried to go slow because there were light ahead and I was afraid if I reach the light and had to stop at the red light and I could have blocked the road they wanted to take.

Hubby and I used to have Dodge Chargers (his was a '73, and mine was a '72). On the tips of the front fenders they had little flashers that blinked when the turn signals were on, and could be seen by the driver.

I've notice the new Ford trucks (and maybe some SUV's?) have turn signal lights that flash on their side mirrors.

Those would be some neat visual alternatives to the audio signals.

Simple... be more alert.

If you were low on gas or low on oil, the same excuse applies... "I didn't know." Why? Because the warning light appeared and you didn't look. So, the same thing applies to the blinker. If you're driving and you forgot to turn off your blinker, checking the board frequently will help you realize you forgot to turn off your blinker.

As for emergency vehicles, staying alert still applies. Look around you and observe your surroundings. If you're at a stop light and you notice the car next to you moving out of the way, check your mirror and look around. It's probably cuz an emergency vehicle is approaching. If you're on the road, check your mirror often.

:gpost:

Simple... be more alert.

That's what I do when I drive. :) Always be alert of your surroundings and keep checking your instrument board time to time, that's not hard to do.

Back