Sign-to-English translation.

Kitturtle

Reaction score
So, I was watching people interpret songs into ASL, and I saw one sign that came up frequently: run front of hand down cheek, flip over hand, run back of hand down cheek. Can someone please tell me what this sign means? It's driving me nuts. :dizzy:

So, I was watching people interpret songs into ASL, and I saw one sign that came up frequently: run front of hand down cheek, flip over hand, run back of hand down cheek. Can someone please tell me what this sign means? It's driving me nuts. :dizzy:

I think it mean "ashamed". You have to do that two times to make the sign "ashamed". :hmm:

I think it mean "ashamed". You have to do that two times to make the sign "ashamed". :hmm:

Not saying you're wrong for your area, but the sign OP described is not ashamed in any of the 6 dictionaries I checked.

Could you provide a few examples?

I can't post in on here, but if you search "Grenade ASL," the first video should be by "Kelly Greer." Fantastic video, but the example is at 1:01.

No it's not ashamed ... I'm trying to think of a good English meaning for it - in the video she's using it as a gloss for "pain" - more specifically meaning "experiencing physical and emotional pain/heartache etc."

I can't think of a good English word for it though - maybe Reba will have a better Gloss for it?

No it's not ashamed ... I'm trying to think of a good English meaning for it - in the video she's using it as a gloss for "pain" - more specifically meaning "experiencing physical and emotional pain/heartache etc."

I can't think of a good English word for it though - maybe Reba will have a better Gloss for it?
I feel like I've seen it before (I think I know what it means, ASL-wise)... but I also have no idea of an English word for it (heck, I don't even know where I've even learned it from, as it wasn't taught in class and my out-of-class sign environments have all been educational settings, childcare, and concession stands largely... :hmm: I'm getting off topic, so I'm just gonna shut up now...).

There is one thing that Helen Keller was signing when she was a little girl. She was doing the same thing twice and I think it is her response for "Mama". It is like a nickname for her mother.

If you use only once instead of run front of hand down cheek, flip over hand, run back of hand down cheek, then it would be shame like Travis said. Not Ashame. just take the "a" out of the ashame to make it shame.

Bebonang - unless she's repeatedly signing it wrong, she's not signing shame/ashamed etc ...

"Shame" (or the concept) also doesn't fit with the lyrics there...

Bebonang - unless she's repeatedly signing it wrong, she's not signing shame/ashamed etc ...

"Shame" (or the concept) also doesn't fit with the lyrics there...

It fits with the song if you sing it...

"I'd catch an ashame for ya... put my hand on ashame for you, jump in front of ashame for ya"

It fits with the song if you sing it...

"I'd catch an ashame for ya... put my hand on ashame for you, jump in front of ashame for ya"

???? I'd catch a grenade for you (yeah, yeah, yeah) Throw my hand on a blade for you (yeah, yeah, yeah) I'd jump in front of a train for you (yeah, yeah, yeah) You know I'd do anything for you (yeah, yeah, yeah) Oh, I would go through all this pain Take a bullet straight through my brain Yes, I would die for you, baby But you won't do the same

Just watched it. I think she's signing HUMILIATION. Basically, "I go through all this humiliation for you". I believe her roommate in college was Deaf (when Greer made all these videos), so her videos tend to be stronger ASL than the average ITP student.

~ Audrey Arndt, hearing, ITP student

Back