Sicken gm automatic transmission

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
I had my Chevy Astro van with delay clutch engaging in reverse/forward and clutch slippage in an automatic transmission about 3 weeks ago, I first detected the clutch slipping when the engine flares up as I throttle up after exit of the corner. I suspect the ATF in tranny is low level, went to check the ATF dipstick, found level ok, sniffs ATF, no burnt. The tranny won't response in drive or reverse positions when shifts from Park position, will engaging clutches in late time like more than 30 seconds not like before. Possible clogged tranny filter. Changed a new filter/ refill fresh ATF after replaced new timing chain set/ timing cover, oil pan gasket, new water pump/radiator/hoses. I took test transmission operation, same problem, like I says Finished. I decided I am not going to overhaul this tranny (I did rebuilt this tranny in 2005), no time for O/H tranny. I ordered a GM reman 4L60E automatic transmission from Chevrolet dealer, hope it will deliver to my work this week. The price tag for reman tranny is $1,600ish. Lot money. I cant wait.

I had my Chevy Astro van with delay clutch engaging in reverse/forward and clutch slippage in an automatic transmission about 3 weeks ago, I first detected the clutch slipping when the engine flares up as I throttle up after exit of the corner. I suspect the ATF in tranny is low level, went to check the ATF dipstick, found level ok, sniffs ATF, no burnt. The tranny won't response in drive or reverse positions when shifts from Park position, will engaging clutches in late time like more than 30 seconds not like before. Possible clogged tranny filter. Changed a new filter/ refill fresh ATF after replaced new timing chain set/ timing cover, oil pan gasket, new water pump/radiator/hoses. I took test transmission operation, same problem, like I says Finished. I decided I am not going to overhaul this tranny (I did rebuilt this tranny in 2005), no time for O/H tranny. I ordered a GM reman 4L60E automatic transmission from Chevrolet dealer, hope it will deliver to my work this week. The price tag for reman tranny is $1,600ish. Lot money. I cant wait.

Miles?

That's why I won't buy any an automatic transmission car for myself. The automatic transmission's design are junk.

Sorry, I forget the odometer. About 182k miles on clock. Last tranny overhaul was 115k in 2005 I think. The transmission shop quoted me $1500-$1800 for rebuilt same tranny and 1 year warranty includes R&R tranny. I go with a GM reman tranny w/ 3 years warranty, I can do R&R tranny myself.

Junk? *laughing raciously* Not true, sorry to say. Automatic transmission can last a long time if designed right and take care of it as well. I have a 2000 Honda with original automatic transmission and it has 124k miles on it. My parent's 1993 Honda Accord had 185k miles with same automatic transmission.

Junk? *laughing raciously* Not true, sorry to say. Automatic transmission can last a long time if designed right.

I thought so. How often do you need clutch replacement in automatic transmission? lol

I thought so. How often do you need clutch replacement in automatic transmission? lol

Very rare unless if you do burn outs (spinning wheels). Then tranny will burn out earlier.

Junk? *laughing raciously* Not true, sorry to say. Automatic transmission can last a long time if designed right and take care of it as well. I have a 2000 Honda with original automatic transmission and it has 124k miles on it. My parent's 1993 Honda Accord had 185k miles with same automatic transmission

Honda is not GM. This topic talk about GM. (slap) Anything, Two of my instructors (ASE master for over 20years) love american cars but they admitted that Japanese is very better designed for automatic transmission than american. Some students got upset to heard that. :lol: Do you see any GM with over 150k miles? :aw: For me? Rare, I see a lot Japanese vehicles still alive over 200k miles. Nothing news.

hell, Even I still see Chevy's auto transmission got failed at 5k miles due bad body valve at the dealership.

Another problem.
GM recalls the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze for steering, trans issues

It's 2011 and still problem already. My wife's old ford focus's auto transmission got failed at 85k miles (mostly time highway and country road) It's got fresh AFT and replaced filter. Same problem. My Subaru RS's transmission still fine at 130k from racing, heavy traffic city from chicago, and full-time AWD.

Real reason why auto transmission are junk because heavy than dual clutch and manual, poor MPG, very bad control for snow without ETC(keep change gears like crazy), expensive, and complex to repair.

The dual clutch transmission is better than auto transmission for light weight, better mpg, easy repair (almost same like manual transmission), and quick change gears but expensive (I guess about price since it's new technology).

The manual transmission is better for almost everything but only bad for no skill driver. You can find problem right away and very very very cheap to repair and replace a new part without problem for american and Japanese, not Euro supercar.

That's why most semi-trucks use manual tran. So I believe they get dual clutch tran due low maintenance than manual tran. The dual clutch transmission don't need to clutch pressure plate unlikes manual transmission.

It's very very rare......... Because there is no clutch in autos.

Umm there is clutches. I bet you never rebuilt the automatic transmission before.
0905gmhtp_23_z+factory_clutch_pack_top+century_clutch_pack_bottom.jpg

The automatic transmission won't work without clutches.

It's very very rare......... Because there is no clutch in autos.

Ah yes......................... I was referring to the torque converter and such.

So that's mean you referring to the torque converter as "Because there is no torque converter in autos" Right?

Then automatic transmission won't work without torque converter. :laugh2:

Automatic transmission SHOULDN'T come with tiny transmission cooler or without.

Everytime I buy vehicles I put aftermarket transmission cooler BIGGER than factory.

Like you remember Ford Explorer in 1992-1994 that was worst transmissions trouble?

I bought 94 Explorer and knew it was bad but when you drive in cities and stop check transmission cooler radiator. It BURN my finger when touch for 5 sec. That way HOT for my prefer. I replaced that factory cooler with 3 times LARGE cooler now it warm or cool to touch after hard drive in cities with tools/stuff in back that weight closely to 500-800 lb.

Automatic transmission SHOULDN'T come with tiny transmission cooler or without.

Everytime I buy vehicles I put aftermarket transmission cooler BIGGER than factory.

Like you remember Ford Explorer in 1992-1994 that was worst transmissions trouble?

I bought 94 Explorer and knew it was bad but when you drive in cities and stop check transmission cooler radiator. It BURN my finger when touch for 5 sec. That way HOT for my prefer. I replaced that factory cooler with 3 times LARGE cooler now it warm or cool to touch after hard drive in cities with tools/stuff in back that weight closely to 500-800 lb.

Blame to bad engineer. Right?

and the thread died....

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Swap with a rwd tranny from a Toyota Hiance. LOL.

Back