I got a crate of the reman 4L60E tranny today from Chevy dealer

Attachments

• IMAG0103.jpg
    IMAG0103.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMAG0104.jpg
    IMAG0104.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 5
Junk? *laughing raciously* Not true, sorry to say. Automatic transmission can last a long time if designed right and take care of it as well. I have a 2000 Honda with original automatic transmission and it has 124k miles on it. My parent's 1993 Honda Accord had 185k miles with same automatic transmission.

Proper A/T service maintenances = longer A/T operations

I got a crate of the reman 4L60E tranny today from Chevy dealer

did you check to see if the servo is the upgraded one? its a 40 part for a vette to prevent slippage and no hard 1-2 shift on those 4l60E's.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

deafsmogtech said:
Miles?

That's why I won't buy any an automatic transmission car for myself. The automatic transmission's design are junk.

No matter. I like both auto/manual transmissions. I hate CVT too.

What's wrong with cvt from a mechanic's point of view?

Yup, saw that when taking that lousy GM tranny that he was talking about. That is the one that I lost trust with GM and yeah your right in any kind of transmission, always have clutch, and the sole purpose of clutch is to disconnect the energy from engine in order to shift the gear. Not disconnecting from engine while shift can damage to the gear teeth.

Umm there is clutches. I bet you never rebuilt the automatic transmission before.
0905gmhtp_23_z+factory_clutch_pack_top+century_clutch_pack_bottom.jpg

The automatic transmission won't work without clutches.

Yup, saw that when taking that lousy GM tranny that he was talking about. That is the one that I lost trust with GM and yeah your right in any kind of transmission, always have clutch, and the sole purpose of clutch is to disconnect the energy from engine in order to shift the gear. Not disconnecting from engine while shift can damage to the gear teeth.

Actually that is not correct. In automatic transmission the only thing that disconnect engine energy is putting it in park or neutral. The clutches engage and disengages in order to shift gears while driving.

Huh? you don't get it you already said which I pointed out. So are you saying there is no shifting gear in Automatics, EH?

In order to shift gears, they must disenange from the engine before shift the gear, that is the purpose of clutch, usually in the torque converter.

I already took apart the transmission and got the idea.

Actually that is not correct. In automatic transmission the only thing that disconnect engine energy is putting it in park or neutral. The clutches engage and disengages in order to shift gears while driving.

because he wants fast one :roll:

LOL CVT version of the car is generally a bit faster than the one with regular automatic. The CVT does help with the engine's powerband on demand. I guess he doesn't like it because of reliabity issues? I wonder how reliable is that Honda Civic HX with CVT tranny from the late 1990's.

Huh? you don't get it you already said which I pointed out. So are you saying there is no shifting gear in Automatics, EH?

In order to shift gears, they must disenange from the engine before shift the gear, that is the purpose of clutch, usually in the torque converter.

I already took apart the transmission and got the idea.

I've rebuilt them for a company that rebuilds them so I do understand. I suggest you read my post again cause I did say that they do shift gears. Torque converters are not clutches however some of them do have lockup clutches built into them to improve MPG.

Torque converters is what allows automatics to shift gears without having to "disengage" engine energy. Gears shifts are done by releasing clutches and engaging clutches built into transmission so that shifting can be done. On top of that, in the older transmission that has 3 gears, all the clutches are released. By releasing all clutches in transmission, all gears rotate together as one piece. I'm not sure how they are done with higher gears in modern transmissions.

LOL CVT version of the car is generally a bit faster than the one with regular automatic. The CVT does help with the engine's powerband on demand. I guess he doesn't like it because of reliabity issues? I wonder how reliable is that Honda Civic HX with CVT tranny from the late 1990's.

That makes sense since CVT are always connected directly. They don't have gears like manual and automatics does. They are belt driven. I know they do have metal belts (don't ask me how they did that) As a car speeds up, the ratio changes so in theory, they are always in perfect ratio for not making engine work harder than it has to ( in other words, lugs the engine for those that has driven manuals.)

Secretblend said:

That makes sense since CVT are always connected directly. They don't have gears like manual and automatics does. They are belt driven. I know they do have metal belts (don't ask me how they did that) As a car speeds up, the ratio changes so in theory, they are always in perfect ratio for not making engine work harder than it has to ( in other words, lugs the engine for those that has driven manuals.)

Yeah that's correct. :) I think they use rubber with metal belt sort of like the steel belted tires.

Nissan, Toyota, Honda and several other manufacters use cvt transmissions today. Subaru invented it but abandoned it and others took over because they thought it was a good technology.

Exploding thread. Wow. I'm very busy to working on the vehicles and able not reply today cuz I have a lunch break in 15 minutes. Sorry, I will reply this thread tonight. Dst

What's wrong with cvt from a mechanic's point of view?

CVT is worse ever and it is very short life than Auto, DCT, and Manual. It's wont recommend for towing, more than 160hp, and any AFT fluids. One wrong type of AFT fluid then burn CVT out so quick unlike auto tran. That's why there is no CVT for semi-truck.

Back