Should I Learn ASL?

Calvero

Reaction score
I've been interested in learning ASL since I was a little kid. My school counselor on the other hand thinks that it would be a bad idea. He thinks that I would use it as a crutch and an excuse to speak less often. The second problem is that I've been asocial most of my life, so without anyone on my side I don't think I'd ever be able to motivate myself to learn a second language. What should I do?

Sorry if this is a dumb question or if this is in the wrong forum.
Ashamed_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif

If you want to learn it.... learn it. If you don't, then don't... Simple as that. Don't let others govern your life or life choices, period.

I've been interested in learning ASL since I was a little kid. My school counselor on the other hand thinks that it would be a bad idea. He thinks that I would use it as a crutch and an excuse to speak less often. The second problem is that I've been asocial most of my life, so without anyone on my side I don't think I'd ever be able to motivate myself to learn a second language. What should I do?

Sorry if this is a dumb question or if this is in the wrong forum.
Ashamed_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif

You are in the right place here at the Sign Language and Oralism section. It all depend on what you are most comfortable oral or ASL. If you want to sign ASL, then by all mean you can learn to sign ASL. ASL is much better for us to communicate so that we don't feel left out. It is good to be in the Deaf communities.

Only place where you can learn to sign ASL will be either at the community college if there is one and also Hearing Society. Maybe you can go to Vocational Rehabilitation Service, they might help you find ASL class for you if you are living in the city. Good luck on finding ASL class for you. :)

You are in the right place here at the Sign Language and Oralism section. It all depend on what you are most comfortable oral or ASL. If you want to sign ASL, then by all mean you can learn to sign ASL. ASL is much better for us to communicate so that we don't feel left out. It is good to be in the Deaf communities.

Only place where you can learn to sign ASL will be either at the community college if there is one and also Hearing Society. Maybe you can go to Vocational Rehabilitation Service, they might help you find ASL class for you if you are living in the city. Good luck on finding ASL class for you. :)

I have no idea how comfortable I'd be signing, but with how bad I am communicating orally it just seems like it couldn't possibly be worse.

We don't have many of those sorts of programs, here. I think my only option would be community college.

Your counselor is an idiot. I learned ASL and it didn't affect my speech skills. Pls pass this information to your counselor.

Learn ASL! You will love it!

If learning ASL is something you want to do, then go for it! I started learning BSL just over two years ago and I'm really enjoying it. Once you've learned the basics, there's something really magical about using your hands to communicate. So much so, that I pity people who don't know how to tap into the richness of sign language. Note that I still use speech everyday. I don't see it as an either/or thing like your school counsellor, but as a both/and thing. I have an extra communication tool in my bag. My only regret is that I waited until my 40s to start learning BSL.

Ok, your counselor sounds like an idiot, so I'm going to disregard his advice entirely. The two things that seem relevant in your post are (1) you've been interested in learning ASL since you were a little kid (me too:)) and (2) you don't think you'd be able to motivate yourself to learn a second language.

I am a huge supporter of the idea of people learning to sign, but putting that aside, this is how I feel about any interest (ok any healhty interest) where you have (1) and (2) playing against each other:

Try it.

If you enjoy learning it maybe you'll stick with it, or at least learn enough to be in some way satisfying to you, which will be great: something you'll have in your life/experience that you didn't have before. If you find you're not able to stick with it, what have you lost?

Trying things out (in life in general) is how you find out what you're really interested in, what you're good at, what you enjoy, what you want. It's how you have a richer life. I would totally go for it, without putting any pressure on yourself.

Normally, learning an additional language, any language, opens up more doors of opportunity. I would encourage anyone to learn as many languages (including sign languages) as possible.

You'll have more opportunities for socialization, education, and employment. It will also be a boost to self-confidence as an accomplishment.

I see no downsides to learning ASL.

If you're actually going to stick with it and go to classes and socialize, which are essential, then yes.

Your counselor is an idiot. I learned ASL and it didn't affect my speech skills. Pls pass this information to your counselor.

Learn ASL! You will love it!

In my case he might be right. I tend to take the path of least resistance.

If learning ASL is something you want to do, then go for it! I started learning BSL just over two years ago and I'm really enjoying it. Once you've learned the basics, there's something really magical about using your hands to communicate. So much so, that I pity people who don't know how to tap into the richness of sign language. Note that I still use speech everyday. I don't see it as an either/or thing like your school counsellor, but as a both/and thing. I have an extra communication tool in my bag. My only regret is that I waited until my 40s to start learning BSL.

It is something I want to do. I was thinking that I was starting too late. I'm 26 years old.

Ok, your counselor sounds like an idiot, so I'm going to disregard his advice entirely. The two things that seem relevant in your post are (1) you've been interested in learning ASL since you were a little kid (me too:)) and (2) you don't think you'd be able to motivate yourself to learn a second language.

I am a huge supporter of the idea of people learning to sign, but putting that aside, this is how I feel about any interest (ok any healhty interest) where you have (1) and (2) playing against each other:

Try it.

If you enjoy learning it maybe you'll stick with it, or at least learn enough to be in some way satisfying to you, which will be great: something you'll have in your life/experience that you didn't have before. If you find you're not able to stick with it, what have you lost?

Trying things out (in life in general) is how you find out what you're really interested in, what you're good at, what you enjoy, what you want. It's how you have a richer life. I would totally go for it, without putting any pressure on yourself.

Do you know of any way that I could try it without having to risk losing money? The community college class costs about a month's salary before even paying for the book.

Are you hearing or deaf?

Hearing.

Normally, learning an additional language, any language, opens up more doors of opportunity. I would encourage anyone to learn as many languages (including sign languages) as possible.

You'll have more opportunities for socialization, education, and employment. It will also be a boost to self-confidence as an accomplishment.

I see no downsides to learning ASL.

I could definitely use a self-confindence boost. It took me a year just to gather the confidence to post this thread.

If you're actually going to stick with it and go to classes and socialize, which are essential, then yes.

I think if I kept coming to this forum I'd be able to keep up with. It's already helped so far.

You're only 26? That is definitely not too old. :lol:

OK, it is easier for children to acquire languages BUT you are a more mature student and that also counts because you'll take your studies more seriously.

Just don't stress over signing and don't worry how awkward it seems at first. If you keep at it, eventually you'll get over that hump and begin to enjoy it. :)

Like people here have said, it's never too late to try something new.
If you can't take a class, try online Lifeprint.com is a great start and totally free.
You can learn your ABC's, numbers and the top 100 used words fairly easy.
I hope you give it a try.

Good Luck!!!

You're only 26? That is definitely not too old. :lol:

OK, it is easier for children to acquire languages BUT you are a more mature student and that also counts because you'll take your studies more seriously.

Just don't stress over signing and don't worry how awkward it seems at first. If you keep at it, eventually you'll get over that hump and begin to enjoy it. :)

It feels old when all the other students are 10 years younger.

At the same time, taking them too seriously might be more of a problem. I tend to be overly concerned with doing things the right and taking way too long to figure out exactly what that is.

I'll try focusing on the fun aspect. That'll help me to not worry about making mistakes. Afterall, I'm sure even people who've been signing their whole lives make some mistakes.

Do you know of any way that I could try it without having to risk losing money? The community college class costs about a month's salary before even paying for the book.

There are people who teach it on you tube no risk at all. Look up Bravo Family on you tube and use that.

People have pretty much said what I wanted to say, but I wanted to offer my two cents. Well, maybe it's 3 cents.

1) Would your counselor have reacted the same if you said you wanted to learn French or Spanish or whatever? I have a feeling your counselor is just biased against ASL.

2) I love lifeprint and think it would be a good starting point for you. If you find you like it, then maybe you can take a formal class. (see below)

3) I found an ASL class through my town's adult education and it was relatively inexpensive. $75 for 8 weeks, including materials. It's actually cheaper than French, Spanish, etc. If you can't find one in your town, try the neighboring towns. They usually accept out of town students (for an additional $10-20). Maybe it's just my area, but its worth looking into.

The real question begs it. Why shouldn't you learn ASL? :)

I don't know what your school counselor has against ASL, but there are definitely no disadvantages to learning ASL. There are a lot of online resources to learn this wonderful language and I would encourage you to take ASL classes if this language is what you desire to learn. More than often not, ASL instructors will establish the requirement to attend ASL social events because there are not many places where you can easily pick up on ASL outside the class.

Being late-deafened...and upon enrolling into a deaf school, I was not allowed to sign or use ASL in class...I was told to speak...that was many years ago....and to this day, I'm not fluent in ASL. But know enough to communicate with other deafies...wish I would have learned more ASL and became fluent!...But my daily living is mainly vocal...but am overjoyed whenever I do meet a "new friend" that is deaf or knows ASL....

Go for it!.,..practice makes perfect...you'll be glad you did...as I've encouraged other people to learn ASL...be flexible...Communication is a major part of our daily lives....everyone deserves understanding what is being said or trying to be said.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of my word list? The ones with the checks next to them are the ones I've been able to find. So far, It doesn't seem like I can guess which words will have a sign.

Unless I commit some horrible faux-pas could you avoid correcting any of my mistakes? I know I will make a ton, but, as a new-learner, I believe I have to be strong about continuing to try after I make mistakes. (Correcting my English, on the other hand is perfectly OK)

Calm✔
Stroll✔
Thunder✔
Hum✔
Butterfly✔ wings✔
Emerald rings✔
Utterly under✔ control✔
Excited✔
Aloof
Giraffe✔
Deep✔
Sheep✔