Should I fight for an interpreter?

Yeah! Deaf camps during the summer are always so much fun !! :)

I went to one but at that time I was such a big time audist thinking I was superior over the signing deaf so it didnt go to well for me. My loss. At least now, I know I was wrong and the Deaf community in Phx have forgiven me. :)

:lol:

Just because you're in love with CSign doesn't mean you need to bash everyone else's advice about finding camps, distance, and even scholarships. And that it can be done. And that her son can appropriate access his surroundings. Sorry if you don't like the tone that went with it. :)

Oh, since you conveniently forgot, we offered her this BASED ON HER POST:

We helped her find some. Oops, SORRY !!!!!!! Our bad.

Not about me....it's the parents who come in here trying to find information and direction. Maybe even some validation. Imparting a negative tone isn't going to help. We don't know what the parents' constraints are in the first place. But, you know, who cares. Right? But militant attitudes ain't going to win these parents over, either.

I went to one but at that time I was such a big time audist thinking I was superior over the signing deaf so it didnt go to well for me. My loss. At least now, I know I was wrong and the Deaf community in Phx have forgiven me. :)

How hard was it to get forgiven? ;)

Oh, the militant attitudes some parents have? Well put! :)

(We tried to eliminate as many constraints as we could think of by explaining driving time, scholarships. You still want to bash us? Okayyyyyyyyyyyy.)

Not about me....it's the parents who come in here trying to find information and direction. Maybe even some validation. Imparting a negative tone isn't going to help. We don't know what the parents' constraints are in the first place. But, you know, who cares. Right? But militant attitudes ain't going to win these parents over, either.

But like we said, you haven't been here.

How hard was it to get forgiven? ;)

When I left for Gallaudet, I was trying to learn ASL for about 2 years but had a hard time interacting with the Deaf community in Phx because I was really nasty about being able to speak and being in the hearing world so they didnt warm up to my wanting to learn ASL quickly. So, I left for DC and then returned for a visit in a year after that. Saw some members and they were so impressed with how fluent I had gotten in ASL and applauded me. I told them that I was so sorry for my attitudes towards them and that I really had NO idea nor how ignorant I was. Word got around and each time I returned to Phx, many of want to see me. :) I couldnt see any of them last weekend because it was my weekend with my daughter. Maybe in August.

What's up with this: I'm right on the border of MA and RI, and neither one has a listing here? All the deaf kids from hereabouts seem to go to isola bella. You'd think there's be something on the Cape to give me an excuse to ... you know .. visit. Daily.

Careful with the constraints. Else they'll think less of ya!

When I left for Gallaudet, I was trying to learn ASL for about 2 years but had a hard time interacting with the Deaf community in Phx because I was really nasty about being able to speak and being in the hearing world so they didnt warm up to my wanting to learn ASL quickly. So, I left for DC and then returned for a visit in a year after that. Saw some members and they were so impressed with how fluent I had gotten in ASL and applauded me. I told them that I was so sorry for my attitudes towards them and that I really had NO idea nor how ignorant I was. Word got around and each time I returned to Phx, many of want to see me. :) I couldnt see any of them last weekend because it was my weekend with my daughter. Maybe in August.

I, too, learned sign language at Gallaudet. Interacted, signed, and had a good time. I still interact with Deaf people just as I continue to interact with hoh, deaf, and late deafened people.

What's up with this: I'm right on the border of MA and RI, and neither one has a listing here? All the deaf kids from hereabouts seem to go to isola bella. You'd think there's be something on the Cape to give me an excuse to ... you know .. visit. Daily.

Not even in Boston?

Not even in Boston?

Careful with the constraints. Else they'll think less of ya!

:laugh2: Oh, I know ... I could broaden the options significantly: there are many AGB activities in this area and we have two Clark schools with summer camps and several mainstream programs that offer summer sessions. But you really think people would think more of me if we pursued that sort of thing? :evil:

I'm just surprised that CA has soooo many, and there's not a single ASL deaf camp listed on the Gally site within MA or RI. Wouldn't you think: Martha's vineyard ... ?

(4 more years, and Huntsville, here we come!)

:laugh2: Oh, I know ... I could broaden the options significantly: there are many AGB activities in this area and we have two Clark schools with summer camps and several mainstream programs that offer summer sessions. But you really think people would think more of me if we pursued that sort of thing? :evil:

I'm just surprised that CA has soooo many, and there's not a single ASL deaf camp listed on the Gally site within MA or RI. Wouldn't you think: Martha's vineyard ... ?

I didn't mean it that way at all. I didn't say anything about AGB. I didn't say anything about Clark or mainstream programs.

I was under the impression that that area of the east coast had a large deaf population, so I would have been surprised that the Boston area didn't have anything. Me not living there just caused wonder: "not even in Boston?" .............

ah............. so you're saying that the gallaudet website should be an end-all for "deaf camps"?

I didn't mean it that way at all. I didn't say anything about AGB. I didn't say anything about Clark or mainstream programs.

I was under the impression that that area of the east coast had a large deaf population, so I would have been surprised that the Boston area didn't have anything. Me not living there just caused wonder: "not even in Boston?" .............

I know. Same old thing. "Oh you mean blahblahblahblah" .... "no, we didnt say that."

Camps are spaced fairly well in California.

deafcampscalifornia.jpg

Cool map! Where'd you find that?

I could offer more, but will shut my apparently big fat mouth right about now.

We don't know what the constraints are. Just because one lives in California, which is an awfully big state, she could be living in some small town, way off somewhere from any nearby big cities. I wouldn't be so dismissive off of her right away.

Camps are spaced fairly well in California.

Alright, now your previous post is moot. Thanks for helping out.

Alright, now your previous post is moot. Thanks for helping out.

The point of that map was to provide an easy to see information and let the parents *decide* whether the constraints or limitations they have can be met without passing any judgement (whether intentionally or not) their way. But to throw it back in their faces they won't come back and see what can really be offered....camps in several different locations that could be reachable. Again, even with that in mind, we still don't know what those constraints are and perhaps they cannot be met even with the map information. That's not for us to decide....it's the parents'. And this can be done without appearing pushy or with a negative tone, too.

Back