School for the Deaf denies deaf child with Down Syndrome placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you say.:cool2: But then, you say quite a bit that you can't support. Oh, well.

I support what I say. You must be confusing me with DeafDyke.

I support what I say. You must be confusing me with DeafDyke.

No you don't. You have yet to support anything you have claimed. In fact, you have gone out of your way to avoid supporting what you have claimed, to the degree that you have twisted other's posts and played the victim, not to mention bringing up issues that are not applicable in an attempt to deflect.

There are different roads you can take to achieve an end. Due process is not the only option. In some cases it is, but it is not necessary when the educational agency has violated state and federal laws. A compliance complaint can be filed, and the educational agency will be given corrective action as was done in this case.

Be skeptical all you want- her primary category of eligibility is deafness.

There is protocol that has to be followed in these issues. You seem to think that you can dazzle everyone with your words and get them to believe that you are capable of the impossible. Guess what? No one buys your BS.

Then she is not eligible for services just because she is deaf. Deafness, in and of itself, is not qualification for an IEP. An IEP must be written to determine accommodation. Therefore, the DS becomes the condition on which services are provided.

No you don't. You have yet to support anything you have claimed. In fact, you have gone out of your way to avoid supporting what you have claimed, to the degree that you have twisted other's posts and played the victim, not to mention bringing up issues that are not applicable in an attempt to deflect.

She also called out another poster, which, I find distasteful as well.

This is dangerously close to harrassment. I hope you know this.

Are you kidding me? Harassment? Whatever.

I'm pointing out the fact that DD has repeatedly made statements about how all children with Down syndrome have Apraxia. She is stating that's why there is an expressive language delay. I'm stating otherwise, and I supported my statements with facts. I asked DD to support her statements re Apraxia and Down syndrome and she hasn't.

If people were to view this thread objectively, they would come to the conclusion that I'm being harassed. And no- I'm not "playing the victim" I'm stating the facts.

:blah::blah::blah:

Huge difference in what I do and what you just did. But I don't expect you to grasp that. Poor, poor CSign. Everyone picks on her. Wah, wah, wah.

Are you kidding me? Harassment? Whatever.

I'm pointing out the fact that DD has repeatedly made statements about how all children with Down syndrome have Apraxia. She is stating that's why there is an expressive language delay. I'm stating otherwise, and I supported my statements with facts. I asked DD to support her statements re Apraxia and Down syndrome and she hasn't.

If people were to view this thread objectively, they would come to the conclusion that I'm being harassed. And no- I'm not "playing the victim" I'm stating the facts.

So? Dispute her with studies and facts to back up your position. Don't flame her, which in fact, was blatant.

Then she is not eligible for services just because she is deaf. Deafness, in and of itself, is not qualification for an IEP. An IEP must be written to determine accommodation. Therefore, the DS becomes the condition on which services are provided
Actually correction. It would be severe disablity, not nessarily Down's.
Down's effects kids on a spectrum, from mild (at my mainstream high school there were a couple of Down's girls who were in the A level, which was the Academic level English classes) to severe.....That classfication wouldn't mean that she wouldn't get Dhh services. Just that she would get the type of Dhh services that kids with severe disabilties would get. It's not unheard of for kids with all sorts of mental handicaps to have other issues.
And as a matter of fact in the 80's post mainstreaming, a LOT of kids in schools for the deaf were mild and even mild/moderate mentally handicapped.
Most more severely mentally handicapped kids tend to have been served by mentally handicapped programs, or even deaf-blind programs. But she's stuck in the middle. Meaning she is moderate MH with a very severe language delay. So she doesn't fit into the mild MH (which tend to make up the majority of mentally handicapped kids and she doesn't quite make it (by virture of her IQ) with severe or profound kids.

CSign, I can't find it right now as I cut and pasted and then my computer restarted it. But you said that in order for Austine to have a formal austism program, it prolly had a higher number of autistic kids. Nope. It may have had two or three, but Austine is one of the smaller Deaf Schools out there. What happened was that they saw a need, and filled it.(and it's possible they did so due to being smack dab in the middle of a region with not many deaf Schools. (NH does not have a Deaf school and Maine's program is more academic) They have a boarding program, both five day and seven day for this program/population.
As to your harping on the reason the student has limited expressive Signed language, I asked a friend of mine who is a speech language pathologist with more severe kids and this is what she said:
With Down Syndrome, there will nearly always be an underlying language delay. The severity of this delay will vary. In addition to the language delay, there is nearly always an articulaton disorder. Low muscle tone and an enlarged tongue interferes with speech production, but motor planning issues (not true apraxia) are often co-existent. Long story short, introducing ASL/AAC may help the person overcome their artiulation issues but it will not remediate the underlying language delay...
Remediate means totally remediate....it will help a lot, and they'll be able to use Sign/ACC at a more sophsicated level then just speech. BTW, you're essentially saying that this student is globally expressively aphasic....

Mod note:

Thread is closed for a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back