Robots/machines to build houses in 5-10 years!

deafdude1

Reaction score
Caterpillar Inc. Funds Viterbi 'Print-a-House' Construction Technology

USC - Viterbi School of Engineering - Caterpillar Inc. Funds Viterbi 'Print-a-House' Construction Technology

3D printer for printing houses. Uses less materials than other construction techniques. Videos from a few months back.

LiveLeak.com - Contour Crafting House Printer

Automation of Whole House Construction Using Contour Crafting

Automation of Whole House Construction Using Contour Crafting

Contour Crafting | archiCentral

Could This Robot Build A House In A Day? - CBS News

robot can build house in a day!

my comments This will drop the cost of houses from $50-$75 a square foot to around $15! The land will cost the same or slightly more. People will be able to afford much larger houses. I expect to see 2, 3, 4 story houses of 5000 to over 20000 square feet! I can get 2 acres of land for $20k in north Georgia. Add $120k for 8000 square foot 3 story house and im looking at $140k total.

Some rich person or family could buy 5 acres of land in south Florida(Loxahatchee/acreage) for $250k and build a 100x100 square mansion of 4 stories=40k square feet at a $600k cost plus land for $850k total. Right now, that would get you 7000 square foot of house. With robots, you could be looking at 40k square feet mansion! No more illegals, they can go back to Mexico! :D

I don't support because my hubby could lose his job! :ugh:

Meh, it's going to be a lot longer than 5-10 years, if ever. Building a house is not a simple task. It is very complex and requires many angles and approaches, and the sequence for how a house is built changes depending on the architectural design. Also, when you're working with natural elements like wood and concrete, there is always an unpredictability factor. How would a machine know that it has split a 2x4 or roof joist, or that the concrete didn't set properly? And what if a pipe gets laid improperly and then covered over with walls before anyone can catch the mistake. I see so many problems with this, that I would never buy a house built by a robot.

The next is the pill. You place it on the ground, and drop of water on the pill. It grow into a regular house for amazing day and start to live in there.

There was talk about robots that could build skyscrapers...but haven't seen any yet.

There was talk about robots that could build skyscrapers...but haven't seen any yet.

They already have been used for skyscrapers.

For a house, I would prefer to have people build it.

And to deafdude: Feel free to think that way. There's no way in hell materials alone will be that cheap. (I know, because I've been into some construction myself. I also worked at Home Depot and I've seen their "at cost" prices. )

My friend had his 5,900 sqft house built for 326k. That was pretty cheap.

............... It is very complex and requires many angles and approaches, and the sequence for how a house is built changes depending on the architectural design. ......
How so? To my understanding the sequence a house is built in is fairly consistent and only varies slightly and that has more to do with scheduling the trades as opposed to design. But please correct me if I am wrong.

I can see how in a pre-fabrication scenario robots can do the job. Quality control would insure everything is corret.

It won't take a day for robot/machine to build a house. Because it will take days for people workers to set up the machine, after the house is done then it will take days to remove the machine.

Anyway, I would rather buy a house that is built by people rather than built by machines.

Homes built by people, in my opinion, would be better constructed. My brother is a finish carpenter and does custom built staircases, bannisters and baseboards. Not to mention the bookcases and all kinds of things. The company he works for, even in the recession, still does not have to advertise and has 7 homes they are currently working on and more waiting. During the winter they work in shop to get all the custom jobs done to be ready for installation in the spring.

It sure would take the artistic aspect out of designing houses and many people will lose jobs.

It is too stupid because it can threat to people lose job .

I vote right along with you, SuperChris. Illegal or legal, many people need jobs to work in construction to build homes. It is okay to have robots work
in automobiles company if there were no workers to do the assembly lines. I would rather have people work in construction than robots. :cool2:

I think I love that idea. Yes, you are right that we need to kick illegal Mexicans out of our country because the Mexicans stole our people's job.

I agree with you that it is a big problem for our American builders that might lose their job. But, too many young people are not interested to be a builder because they want to go to a college and get a degree to be a doctor, engineer, computer programmers - they rather to work as white collar so that they make their life a little easier. They don't like to work outside in the hot or coldest days.

A constructor or builder, working at a factory is a blue collar as hard workers. I found out that from PBS The Old House TV show. They also said that many constructors are still making more mistakes because the building codes are too complicated. Some building codes are ridiculous.

Actually, in fact, many people are moving in and pay robotic registers at a grocery store? It is just same idea for a robotic construction system.

I think I love that idea. Yes, you are right that we need to kick illegal Mexicans out of our country because the Mexicans stole our people's job.

I agree with you that it is a big problem for our American builders that might lose their job. But, too many young people are not interested to be a builder because they want to go to a college and get a degree to be a doctor, engineer, computer programmers - they rather to work as white collar so that they make their life a little easier. They don't like to work outside in the hot or coldest days.

A constructor or builder, working at a factory is a blue collar as hard workers. I found out that from PBS The Old House TV show. They also said that many constructors are still making more mistakes because the building codes are too complicated. Some building codes are ridiculous.

Actually, in fact, many people are moving in and pay robotic registers at a grocery store? It is just same idea for a robotic construction system.

FYI, our biggest immigrant problem is NOT the people from Mexico. They're the Asians that are illegal, and a ton of them make $80k a year in California.

FYI, our biggest immigrant problem is NOT the people from Mexico. They're the Asians that are illegal, and a ton of them make $80k a year in California.

we built transcontinental railroad and ya'all brought us here :wave:

i don't believe this but we shall wait and see.....

Let me say to those who are rich and can afford a custom built(or any) house by humans, good for you. Many of us are on a budget and a machine made house fits our budget. Look at cars, most of them are made by machines and no one is complaining. The high end cars are built by humans and can cost over $100,000. The cheaper cars cost around $20,000 thanks to machines.

We will be seeing the same with houses. Machine built houses will be costing in the $50,000 to $100,000 range(including land) while high end man made houses will cost $250,000 to over a million. Older houses(before 2020) will fetch a premium over machine built houses. Yes some jobs will be lost but I don't feel sorry for the illegals. Americans don't want those jobs anyway, that's why the illegals take those jobs.

uh... I can build a very comfortable house for $5,000. simple - just buy a shipping container.

containerhome.jpg

Back