Relationship with one of your hearing family

Hearing Families

I can hear pretty well, but I sometimes cannot hear how loud I talk and it drives me nuts when I am in a restaurant with my daddy and he keeps saying, "please lower your volume!" I also have a bad habit of starting over what I was saying when someone tells me to lower my volume. Also, sometimes the librarians at the library (who are all my friends) have to remind me to talk quietly. The Head Children's Librarian knows I cannot always hear myself. I am comfortable when people tell me to talk more quietly ONCE but I am not when they tell me more than once.

What can be really bad sometimes is when the downstairs neighbor has his radio turned up full volume and it's so painful to me that I practically start having a fit and I call up my mother and say how miserable it makes me and she says she understands but I don't know if she really does. And Daddy thinks I'm louder than the neighbor, which is not the case! (I used to play my stereo loud when I was young.) I would never turn up my stereo so loud that it makes a neighbor uncomfortable.

I am only one deaf in whole realtives and family.. yes I agreed with you.. being left out.. or bored shitless..
since i have kids.. its like forced me to go events or family cuz of kids' sakes.. but since few years. i started to less attending relatives events, but i dropped off my kids either at their place or go with their grandma.. they picked on my mom or my brother or my sister.. they asked...where is annie? her kids are here.. but where is she? that makes my mom and others realized.. they tried hard to keep me company not left out.. few times i tried to attend few of events.. i only show up for 15 or 30 min.. to make sure kids will have ride back home if they want stay.. i went off on my own.. go home and kick my shoes off and get some rest.. and enjoy my couple hours of free time.. but now.. recently, my brother felt the same.. he felt so much burden since he have a kid and wife (and expecting 2nd too).. plus 2 huge dogs that he has to be limited outing time.. we just talked about christmas eve that our traditional to get together with relatives.. I told him, this year maybe from now on.. we stay home on christmas eve.. and celebrate with families on christmas day... my brother agreed.. he said we get so tired on christmas day cuz we stayed up so late night before (christmas eve).. its like it robs our energy for our own family together to celebrate..
so wait and see.. :)

Yeah I know how all of you feel. Even though my parents interpret things for me sometimes, I feel very left out and I often feel bored. I like it better when I have a deaf friend around to chat with so I don't get bored. They would all laugh at a joke and not tell me about the joke until after.... my father was good though, he would interpret during the joke so I would get it and be able to laugh at the same time as the others. I hate being left out.

Not only that, but with other people outside the family, my parents didn't bother interpreting, so when I'd ask what happened they'd go "not now"... so of course if I ask them later, they either can't be bothered to explain or they have forgotten... it is annoying. I have joined in with a friend whose family is almost all deaf and I have seen the amazing difference, how they all easily communicate with each other and everything is understood and no one is ever left out. Deaf people with deaf families are so lucky.

:roll: Hi, I grew up in hearing world. I was born deaf. I am married to hearing husband and my children are hearing as well. They signs really well. When I was growing up, I am used being in hearing world. Right now, I am getting involved in deaf community cause I know that is who I really am and I am enjoying it so much. I am showing my children where I really am from. My husband is learning about the cultures and its history and all that. :thumb: So, I am telling you, that I m happy and I dont want anything to change for who I am.

I grew up in the hearing world too. I have great relationships with my hearing relatives, which I am thankful for that. I do not believe in deaf culture, but I do attend deaf events sometimes, if I have the time. :)

I was born Deaf and I know for real, I have no regrets for being Deaf. When I grew up in hearing world, I realized that I dont belong there but of course, I have to be part of hearing world because of my hearing relatives and I respect them fully. I recongize the Deaf world and I knew that is where I do belong to, because they do meet my needs that the hearing cultures doesnt. :scatter:

I totally understand how you feel. I was the only deafie in my whole family. I was always left out, and every time I wanted to know what was being said, I'd ask my mom what was being said, she always replied, "I'll tell you later on." When it came to later, I asked her what was said, she said," What? I forgot. I'm sorry...." I just spent the time keeping my daughter busy, until I met my 2nd hubby who was deaf, we could chat during those boring times with our families and we have no problem with our hearing people now they ask us what are we saying. :) Now they can see how we feel. LOL!

yeah huneybear75, that is exactly what I have gone through when I was growing up. My husband have always been my interpeter when it comes to my family and relatives when we get together with them so that I wouldn t feel left out... like I used to. He knows that I deserve to know exactly what s going on around me.... :P

Whenever I go to see my family with my fiance my dad always talks to my fiance as if I am not there and that really makes me so mad. I live a 3 hour drive from my family and only see them every 3 weeks and I thought that my dad would be pleased to see me and tell me what he has done etc but no he goes on and on and on at my fiance and hardly says anything to me.

My grandma always looks at me to get my attention before she says anything. She has always done that :D and if I don't understand she will write it down. She has always had patience with me. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the family.

Anne
x

My Sister ^Angel^ and I always felt left out when we have a family gather the only time they will really talk to us if we have it at our house.. which for birthdays for our children.... My dad is aware of how we felt.. but then he says he is trying to put us involved but doesnt really much involves us... But we have eachother to talk to and Now that Roadrunner is part of the family so that makes 3... (smile)

My & Jeremy's family never left me out of anything.. they talk to me all the time and make sure I am involved in everything. So I don't have a problem with it really. Some of my family doesnt know sign language so they would try to read lips with me or write down on a piece of paper. So things are great! :)

Back