Question

SilverRoxy

Deaf/ASL user
Premium Member
Reaction score
What year did it become legalized for Deaf people to drive in USA??

I'd venture to say that deafness alone was never a reason for disallowing a driver's license. I'd definitely opine that there's loads of hearing people out there who I think got their driver's license at the local Woolworth's!! Hahahaha

Or from a box of Cracker Jack ! Cracker Jack use to have a free prize in their boxes when I was kid not sure if they still do this .

I don't know if it was truly illegal or not but in this article it does say that Deaf people had to fight tooth and nail to be able to drive in the 1920s...

https://axleaddict.com/safety/Deaf-People-Drive

Ahh shoot- she posted that link...
more info
https://www.modernghana.com/news/568216/can-deaf-people-drivesome-surprising-facts.html

Another though I cringed at "Hearing impaired" everywhere...
http://blog.esurance.com/the-truth-about-hearing-impaired-drivers-2/#.V8CKIK3y16I

The Deaf community has had to fight for this important right. In the United States in the 1920s, when states were adopting their first motor vehicle laws, several states enacted laws denying Deaf people the right to obtain driver's licenses. By educating hearing people that Deaf drivers posed no threat to public safety, the National Association of the Deaf and its state committees were able to win the repeal of these discriminatory laws.

I don't know if it was truly illegal or not but in this article it does say that Deaf people had to fight tooth and nail to be able to drive in the 1920s...

https://axleaddict.com/safety/Deaf-People-Drive

Ahh shoot- she posted that link...
more info
https://www.modernghana.com/news/568216/can-deaf-people-drivesome-surprising-facts.html

Another though I cringed at "Hearing impaired" everywhere...
http://blog.esurance.com/the-truth-about-hearing-impaired-drivers-2/#.V8CKIK3y16I

Thank you for posting the links!

Interesting about the butterfly thing! 26 countries banned deaf people from driving! I am sure there are little more than that. Some states prohibited deaf people from driving in 1920s. Thanks for the info!
Yeah I know crazy stuff! I was born 26 years later so I guess I was lucky to be able to drive . A woman I know had asked me 3 difference times if I drive b/c I am hoh .

Yeah I know crazy stuff! I was born 26 years later so I guess I was lucky to be able to drive . A woman I know had asked me 3 difference times if I drive b/c I am hoh .

I get asked that question many times. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some people are. I am so glad that I do not live in 1920s!

I get asked that question many times. It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant some people are. I am so glad that I do not live in 1920s!
Me too b/c I like being able to be independent and not have to relies on someone to drive me around. I know one day I may have to give up driving and it will be
b/c of old age and have nothing to do with me HOH. We should ask the person how can ignorant people be able to drive . LOL !

Me too b/c I like being able to be independent and not have to relies on someone to drive me around. I know one day I may have to give up driving and it will be
b/c of old age and have nothing to do with me HOH. We should ask the person how can ignorant people be able to drive . LOL !

Don't be silly, poor vision or mental condition in old people are usually contributed to loss of driving.

Old age alone isn't the cause to stop driving. My grandfather drove well into his 80s. My parents still drive in their 70s and they drive better than most younger people though my mother doesn't like driving on highways anymore (can't say I blame her...).

Your 'we should say this or that' many times smacks of passive aggressiveness- good way to turn people off of you. I would rather either just ignore it, educate them a little or smile and let it go. Why get the other person butt-hurt- doesn't solve anything.

But hey.. go spread your lil ray of sunshine- but keep it on your side of the line ;).

Old age alone isn't the cause to stop driving. My grandfather drove well into his 80s. My parents still drive in their 70s and they drive better than most younger people though my mother doesn't like driving on highways anymore (can't say I blame her...).

Your 'we should say this or that' many times smacks of passive aggressiveness- good way to turn people off of you. I would rather either just ignore it, educate them a little or smile and let it go. Why get the other person butt-hurt- doesn't solve anything.

But hey.. go spread your lil ray of sunshine- but keep it on your side of the line ;).

I'm wonder about WDYS has macular degeneration? If so, it could be problematic with this forum.

Last edited:
In Poland deaf pple were allowed to drive as long as I remember.
I don't know about now, probably not anymore, but in the 70-ties the deaf pple used to must (sorry for the bad grammar) display a yellow half - circle on their cars all the time.

Fuzzy

In Poland deaf pple were allowed to drive as long as I remember.
I don't know about now, probably not anymore, but in the 70-ties the deaf pple used to must (sorry for the bad grammar) display a yellow half - circle on their cars all the time.

Fuzzy
I don't think it is around anymore because I can't find a google picture of the Poland car sticker.

I'm wonder about WDYS has macular degeneration? If so, it could be problematic with this forum.

dunno-- I wouldn't speculate about that. Some people with Dx of Macular Degneration can still drive as sometimes it is a very slow moving disease and it could be years before vision is affected badly enough to prevent driving or ease of moving around well enough.

Back