Petition against "dirty signs" book publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, those Deaf people brought it upon themselves to protest. She just got free advertising/publicity about her book. No game. It just happened.

Kind of like Rush Limbaugh, yes?

Thank you for the feedback, sorry you feel that way.

Funny, because there are Deaf people who do agree with the protest and those who don't agree with the protest think it is stupid. Just because one has an opinion that might be contrary to what other people feel has nothing to do with disrespecting "Deaf culture" for having an alternative opinion. Otherwise to say that is a cop out just because people won't agree with ya.

" full of blank pages by a deaf person? " what title of book is that?

and you mentioned false advertising which was recent? what is the link

No words from koko. I figure out that koko are making up about the blank book and false advertising. Thats OK.

I think he referred to James Kittell who sold something about "What Audiologists Know About Deaf Culture (or Deaf Community?)". But, he only sold blank books with a few sentences, so it was really rip off.

Yeah, that's the guy. It was all over the "deaf" internet about that stupid book once people found out about it. A lot of deaf people got angry when they got their book in the mail only to find out it was full of blank pages.

Yeah. A lot of Deaf people didn't appreciate being fooled with false adverts and pour money into a totally useless book to them. You can find more of them in Google.

Yeah, that's the guy. It was all over the "deaf" internet about that stupid book once people found out about it. A lot of deaf people got angry when they got their book in the mail only to find out it was full of blank pages.

Yes, I can imagine that. At the least, he did make an apology, but I still commend his work for ASLE. His DVDs really helped me a lot, but I only practice a bit... due to personal plans, college stuff, and etc.

no no, she IGNORED Deaf community, not on her behalf, she flatly didnt get a shit. no behalfs at all.

I guess what you probably meant she ignored the fact she should have gone on behalf, but even THAT, I DON'T want!, I NEVER ever fucking want a hearing do anything with Deaf peoples' values and cutlures on 'behalf', Hearies have NO BUSINESS afterall they have cause way too much damage, and why should we trust them? I don't!!

Interpreters, -professional ones only, QUALIFIED that is, AND I also believe we should have a board of representative So Deaf people can decide to black list, ban or reprimand, or even deregister an interpreter is they misbehave, get rid of interpreters' asociation..."professional development' my ass!!

Here is a whole laundry list of problems.

Starting with there is a shortage of qualified interpreters, especially male interpreters. I've seen a lot of people start out gung ho to learn sign language as an easy way to earn big money. When they find out ASL isn't that easy to master they drop out.

Next is the problem that many terps feel that because they passed the board exams they are in fact the experts on ASL and many think they know more about "correct" ASL than Deaf children of Deaf adults. I'm not deaf and it irritates me to be told, "You are signing the old correct way. This is the 'NEW' correct way."

Next is the problem of money. Hearies without jobs look at $20 an hour as an offer from heaven. Many employers with tight budgets don't want to fork over the money for a fully qualified interpreter when they can talk a minimally skilled person to do it for one sixth the pay of the fully qualified interpreter.

The bolded part.

Deaf people, in my view, have lost way to much control over ASL, Official dictionaries, and the standards interpreters should abide by.

DEFINITELY What is and is not ASL should be decided on by a panel of culturally Deaf people selected by culturally Deaf people.

Certainly all lexicographers should be Deaf. (They may be, I don't know.)

Yes, I can imagine that. At the least, he did make an apology, but I still commend his work for ASLE. His DVDs really helped me a lot, but I only practice a bit... due to personal plans, college stuff, and etc.

Ever hear of the expression "a fly by night guy"?

Here is a whole laundry list of problems.

Starting with there is a shortage of qualified interpreters, especially male interpreters. I've seen a lot of people start out gung ho to learn sign language as an easy way to earn big money. When they find out ASL isn't that easy to master they drop out.

Next is the problem that many terps feel that because they passed the board exams they are in fact the experts on ASL and many think they know more about "correct" ASL than Deaf children of Deaf adults. I'm not deaf and it irritates me to be told, "You are signing the old correct way. This is the 'NEW' correct way."

Next is the problem of money. Hearies without jobs look at $20 an hour as an offer from heaven. Many employers with tight budgets don't want to fork over the money for a fully qualified interpreter when they can talk a minimally skilled person to do it for one sixth the pay of the fully qualified interpreter.

The bolded part.

Deaf people, in my view, have lost way to much control over ASL, Official dictionaries, and the standards interpreters should abide by.

DEFINITELY What is and is not ASL should be decided on by a panel of culturally Deaf people selected by culturally Deaf people.

Certainly all lexicographers should be Deaf. (They may be, I don't know.)

im aware of that...
but we can still figure out ways...i got ideas...but to be broadcasted here anyway I dont trust audist lurkers...

im aware of that...
but we can still figure out ways...i got ideas...but to be broadcasted here anyway I dont trust audist lurkers...

I remember in my sophomore year, in band, my section leader at the time was my enemy. He always acted like he knew everything about the deaf culture. So one time we had our sectional, and we were taking a break. He decided to give me a sign name. He signed Deaf, with a K. because my name is Kirsten. And a lot of my friends laughed at that idea and I felt hurt because I mean yes I am deaf but i can do more than that. My sign name is signed as working with a K, my old teacher who was deaf gave me that sign name because i'm always a hard worker and that name stuck with me ever since.

It's disappointing how many hearing people think they can make up any signs and then brag saying "oh thats not the right sign, THIS is the right sign." I have had hearing people done that to me before. I feel like we, as deaf people, can be better teachers to the hearing about this. I mean theres always an easy way and the hard way. Sometimes we have to do the hard way. It's disappointing. And with this "dirty signs" thing going on, thats even more depressing. I mean, where's the common sense? I think this young woman needs to go back into school and do another course on deaf culture and ASL. If her college sees this i'm sure this will be an embarrassment for them. Including her family. But i highly doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back