Percent vs dB?

lovezebras

Reaction score
I was with my best friend this weekend (who is deaf) and we were talkin bout our hearing probs, etc. and we were tkn bout how much hearing she has lost..but i was a bit confused..she said she has lost 43% or 48% of her hearing, but im used 2 just decibels since my audi. tells me in dB's...so what's the conversion i guess?...

Hi lilitalia89,

In my intro, I also mentioned a percentage loss. IMHO, when expressed as a % loss, that is speaking in generalities. I have a detailed graph of my hearing loss in frequency (Hertz - Hz) versus decibles (dB) loss as compared to a reference signal level (or intensity). Rather than stating my loss is decibles, I usually speak in a percentage loss. Most people can better "relate to" the percentage loss comparison.

My 2 cents anyway... LOL

Dave

that doesnt really answer my question tho..where is all your information?

My intro here ?

I mentioned 80% which is just a generic statement IMHO.

:) Dave

P.S. I don't think there is an accurate way to get from a percentage to decible loss unless the person's hearing loss is "flat" across all audible frequencies.

P.S.S. <edit> I see where I cannot spell decibels correctly... LOL

It's pretty inaccurate to express hearing loss in percentages. Most people say Mild, Moderate, Severe, or Profound.

The typical hearing test covers range of 0-110dB (sometimes as high as 120dB); it also covers a range of frequencies at those loudnesses. Given that the test is nearly on a 0-100 scale, and thus a percentage, it is almost the same as the -dB.

But doing the math will get you the actual dB loss. For example, a 40% hearing loss would indicate that sounds in the 0-44dB (40%*110) level couldn't be heard.

However, as I mentioned dB are tested over a range of frequencies. So, while a person might have a 40% in a frequency, they might have a 70% at another, and a 0% loss in yet another.

It's pretty inaccurate to express hearing loss in percentages. Most people say Mild, Moderate, Severe, or Profound

But that's actually more inaccurate since they cover ranges
Mild 21 to 40db
Moderate 41 to 70db
Severe 71 to 95db
Profound 96 to 110dB

Mild to Moderate hearing loss
or Moderate to Severe...

I have heard that as well.

Interesting...as much as I know that not everyone in the Deaf community is deaf (profound loss) it amazes me how I can see someone whose loss is about the same as mine and they identify as Deaf, because I don't think I could ever identify myself as Deaf because I grew up hearing. I would feel like I was trying to fool someone by calling myself that.

I'm so glad this forum is here...I learn so much every day.

My middlest daughter defines herself as Deaf. She has a moderate loss. She never says hoh. When kids ask her why she has those "things" in her ears. She smiles," Because I am Deaf." They ask," Why do you have them?" She smiles," So I can hear."

She amazes me how confident she is about her hearing loss, and she is PROUD to be Deaf.

I've never said 'mild, moderate, profound, any of those terms' just cause i get confused by them... Usually if i have to explain what my hearing loss is I have a habit of saying % instead of db.

I was with my best friend this weekend (who is deaf) and we were talkin bout our hearing probs, etc. and we were tkn bout how much hearing she has lost..but i was a bit confused..she said she has lost 43% or 48% of her hearing, but im used 2 just decibels since my audi. tells me in dB's...so what's the conversion i guess?...

I have severe and profound loss of reverse slope type. In my opinion, it's not right to state loss in percentage rather than in decibels ! There are so many different losses in hoh and deaf people.. Some people have high frequency loss , some flat, some reverse slope like me and so on... each group has different hearing loss properties . so percentages cannot fairly express losses .

i dont like the percents either..makes it confusing and harder to understand, i understand the dB's better...my audiologist is good to use db with me i think...i would be too confused with percents..i get enuf of those in math and at work and such. im at a mild loss with only 35-40 dB loss in the right and 25 dB loss in the right..if the right gets any worse i need to get HA tho..but for now i just use fm for school..

it amazes me how I can see someone whose loss is about the same as mine and they identify as Deaf, because I don't think I could ever identify myself as Deaf because I grew up hearing.
I grew up Hearing too, but I still ID as Deaf b/c I'm not, nor could I ever totally be Hearing. I am both, and I "label switch" ....Just like my gender idenity is fluid, so is my dhh identity. I find hearing culture wonderful.....Like I'm listening to a CD right now, and I LOVE sound....When I get new hearing aids, I'm always fasincated by the fact that I can hear stuff, like soda bubbling or the nuances of the wind......but at the same time I do not hear like a hearing person. I am a visual person. I am not "hearing impaired"......rather my eyes are my ears.
RainGurl, that's awesome! I envy your daughter growing up like that. Growing up not as a "hearing impaired" person, or as a person on the margins of hearing mainstream society, but rather as a dhh person with a full toolbox. I think she's gonna be a very well adjusted adult.....sure would be neat to do a study comparing emoitional-social/ self esteem issues in hoh kids raised in a Hearing Impaired Hearing Health style, vs. Full Toolbox style.

Moderately severe: between 56 and 70 dB

I used to have that in my right ear.. but not anymore... as i have profound now but with hearing aid its in severe area.

and

in my left ear too it used to be severe but now profound. with hearing aid- i dunno.. prolly still the same.. LOL

I figure out my right ear is 75 db and guess my hearings are severe.

if you were severe.. you would be able to hear a little?? i yell and yell.. u are DEAF.

in my right ear.. i can hear some.. even without my hearing aid, remmy??

starrygaze i also want to say u cant figure it out.. the audiogram will say what your hearing loss is at. im sure you have taken them back in school? if so then look at the test and see ??

Back