Opinion survey; isolation in mainstream oral only schools

dreamchaser

Reaction score
Do you think that mainstreamed kids who don't have sign feel lonely or isolated at school? I am doing a survey. I want to know what you think and not just what the experts say.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this. If you have a story to share about a good experience or a bad experience, please share.

Rock on and happy Friday.

My answer is Hell YES! Been there - hated it - it was such an agony.

My sister ran away from an oral-only school back in the days when it was policy, not just an audist teacher's personal vendetta, to punish signers.

The idea of coping without sign isn't limited to schools. I feel lonely and isolated in any extended oral-only setting.

Yes. Off the top of my head, its fairly common for mainstream and oral organizations to have "social" issues as a topic at their conferences.

Being mainstreamed really sucked but even sucked more because I was in a strictly-oral only environment.

U wouldnt believe all the emotional/social issues I had to endure and work through to be the person who I am no thanks to be mainstreaming.

Gemma said:
My answer is Hell YES! Been there - hated it - it was such an agony.

DITTO!

Being mainstreamed really sucked but even sucked more because I was in a strictly-oral only environment.

U wouldnt believe all the emotional/social issues I had to endure and work through to be the person who I am no thanks to be mainstreaming.

DITTO!

Yes. People are definitely lonely when they are placed in mainstream oral schools. How can they communicate freely if they can't do their oral skills that well? It's too depressing to think about.

Boult, an IEP cannot really help with socialization. It doesn't help if there's a snobby/ whitebread school population or if the teachers have NO clue whatsoever how to teach kids like us. Hell.........kids with learning disabilites (most common sped disabilty) often have significent social-emotional issues.
Very often socio-emotional issues are the direct result of not having a good grasp on language. Most oral kids have OK oral skills, but they aren't sophisticated enough to use socially.

My sister ran away from an oral-only school back in the days when it was policy, not just an audist teacher's personal vendetta, to punish signers.

I was the opposite run away from deaf school when I was in h.s.

Boult, an IEP cannot really help with socialization. It doesn't help if there's a snobby/ whitebread school population or if the teachers have NO clue whatsoever how to teach kids like us. Hell.........kids with learning disabilites (most common sped disabilty) often have significent social-emotional issues.
Very often socio-emotional issues are the direct result of not having a good grasp on language. Most oral kids have OK oral skills, but they aren't sophisticated enough to use socially.

I agree. The IEP does not help with psychosocial issues, or with socialization. And, quite often, the IEP is not even sufficient to help with the educational issues. The mainstream is guilty, in the case of the deaf.hoh student, of not including services that are appropriate or sufficient for education. The majority of IEPs for deaf children do not even include input from a TOD, but are completed by a team including a general education classroom teacher, a generic special ed. teacher, a counselor,( if you're lucky!), a principal, and a very confused parent. And the teams are known to be very coercive in getting parents to sign off on the IEP with as few services as they can get away with providing.

Based on personal experiences-No.

Is there a universal answer to this question-No.

My experience is no. I did not feel isolated in mainstream education.

Based on personal experiences-No.

Is there a universal answer to this question-No.

Hi Rick, thanks for your post. I appreciate it and hope that we can find a common ground to be buds. Rock on, and I hope you and yours are well and happy.

And the teams are known to be very coercive in getting parents to sign off on the IEP with as few services as they can get away with providing.
Tell me about it! It's like the mainstream doesn't even give a shit about the quality of the education....they just want the money that comes along with the student. I mean SHEESH. I didn't get a notetaker until I was a sophomore in high school (AND I have a fine motor skill disabilty) and never even GOT a TOD. TODs services tend to suck too........Two minutes with a TOD and then the student is signed off as having been provided services.

Back