"One seventy nine, please."

InnocentOdion

Reaction score
Okay, this happened a few weeks ago. I thought this was sad, but funny.

My wife and I had just come out of class with our sign teacher; we were all going to the butchers (us for a snack, him for his dinner tonight). He went in there, and spoke (note, although his pronunciation is great, he does have the Deaf accent):

"Can I have some mince beef, please?"
The lady at the counter frowned and said, "Huh? What?"
'Mince beef' he said and signed.

This made our teacher embarrassed. He pointed at where the mince beef is (covered by glass) and mouthed, 'Mince beef'

"Sausages?"
'Mince beef'
"Sausages?"
He sighed and brought his hand over the counter and pointed to the mince beef, practically touching the bowl. Her face lit up.

"Ohhhhhhh! Mince beef?!"

He nodded. She then picked up the sausages.

My teacher frowned, tapped my wife and signed to her, 'Tell her I'd like some mince beef. She doesn't seem to understand me.'

"He said, he'd like a pack of mince beef, please."

The lady frowned, and mumbling, gave him some mince beef in only the small thin plastic bag it comes in anyway--no decent carrier bag, so he would be able to feel it. He looked at my wife and she said, "He'd like a bag, please."

She mumbled and then whilst she was getting a bag, our teacher put a £2 coin on the counter and started texting someone on his mobile (cell phone).

"One seventy nine, please." she said. He didn't respond.
"One seventy nine, please." she said louder. Still no response.
"ONE SEVENTY NINE PLEASE." She screamed, really really loud.

I laughed and said, "He can't hear you" and my wife said, "He's Deaf."

Then, she said. "Oh, I know."

And then, when she gave him his bag and the change, he signed "Thank you" to her. She didn't sign back, and my wife said, "That's thank you."

She said, "Oh, I know. I know Sign Language, I lived next to some deaf and dumb children when I was growing up."

This is a true story. :giggle::pissed:

Okay, this happened a few weeks ago. I thought this was sad, but funny.

My wife and I had just come out of class with our sign teacher; we were all going to the butchers (us for a snack, him for his dinner tonight). He went in there, and spoke (note, although his pronunciation is great, he does have the Deaf accent):

"Can I have some mince beef, please?"
The lady at the counter frowned and said, "Huh? What?"
'Mince beef' he said and signed.

This made our teacher embarrassed. He pointed at where the mince beef is (covered by glass) and mouthed, 'Mince beef'

"Sausages?"
'Mince beef'
"Sausages?"
He sighed and brought his hand over the counter and pointed to the mince beef, practically touching the bowl. Her face lit up.

"Ohhhhhhh! Mince beef?!"

He nodded. She then picked up the sausages.

My teacher frowned, tapped my wife and signed to her, 'Tell her I'd like some mince beef. She doesn't seem to understand me.'

"He said, he'd like a pack of mince beef, please."

The lady frowned, and mumbling, gave him some mince beef in only the small thin plastic bag it comes in anyway--no decent carrier bag, so he would be able to feel it. He looked at my wife and she said, "He'd like a bag, please."

She mumbled and then whilst she was getting a bag, our teacher put a £2 coin on the counter and started texting someone on his mobile (cell phone).

"One seventy nine, please." she said. He didn't respond.
"One seventy nine, please." she said louder. Still no response.
"ONE SEVENTY NINE PLEASE." She screamed, really really loud.

I laughed and said, "He can't hear you" and my wife said, "He's Deaf."

And then, when she gave him his bag and the change, he signed "Thank you" to her. She didn't sign back, and my wife said, "That's thank you."

She said, "Oh, I know. I know Sign Language, I lived next to some deaf and dumb children when I was growing up."

This is a true story. :giggle::pissed:

That doesn't make sense at all! That woman is a idiot!

Yep, I've been there too.

There are people who think they understand deaf people and there are those who contradict themselves. Sad.

From the way you tell it she did it on purpose just to annoy him. I'd have had a chat with the manager and insisted she be told her position was temporary if she kept treating customers that way. If she really is that dumb she shouldn't have a job around sharp meat-cutting equipment anyway.

From the way you tell it she did it on purpose just to annoy him. I'd have had a chat with the manager and insisted she be told her position was temporary if she kept treating customers that way. If she really is that dumb she shouldn't have a job around sharp meat-cutting equipment anyway.

That is what I thought too. Yeah, I think a talk with the manager is needed. I'd inform him I'd not shop there any more if this happens again.

Boy, that woman is very discriminating. Like Arachyd said that she did that on purpose just to ignore him with his frustration on getting his mince beef. She should not have work there at the store. We, deaf, will probably get discriminate every time we go into public to get something we want or need to get attention from hearing people who work in stores, movies, fast food places and etc.( meaning blah, blah, blah and so on) Ugh, that is terrible and I don't like this discrimination doing this on our Deaf communities. :pissed:

Well, I can't say that I am shocked!

On a brighter note, I think your angel is very uplifting and so is Logan (GalaxyAngel), congratulations!!

Have a Happy and safe New Years Everyone. The boys in blue are crackin' down in preparation for the holiday, stay clean and sober or designate a driver...please!

John

What if that woman is the manager??

Then I would speak to the owner. If the owner is the woman, I would choose to do my business elsewhere, and inform every deaf person I know of her rude and inconsiderate behavior.

That woman is the dumb one for behaving like that.

I would have reached across the counter slapped her a time or two for that last comment! (and I wouldnt care if they banned me from the premises, I wouldnt return anyway after that incident). Oh wait I resolved to be less violent this year, :lol: One slap would do. :D

Oh, I know (not!)

"He's Deaf."

Oh, have I ever been there! Many times friends have tapped to clue me that salespeople were talking to me (usually louder and louder). The friend tells the salesperson I'm deaf; instead of an honest, "Oh, I didn't know. I was asking how I may help you" most go into an elaborate coverup.

It often begins, "Oh, I knew that!"

Then the salesperson pretends I'm not there and talks only to my friend.

Or the person says and does something foolish like "I know how to speak deaf" and signs the number ten.

I'm thinking it's these people who spawn the dubious statistic that ASL is the third most "spoken" language in the U.S. after English and Spanish.

Back