"One seventy nine, please."

Oh, have I ever been there! Many times friends have tapped to clue me that salespeople were talking to me (usually louder and louder). The friend tells the salesperson I'm deaf; instead of an honest, "Oh, I didn't know. I was asking how I may help you" most go into an elaborate coverup.

It often begins, "Oh, I knew that!"

Then the salesperson pretends I'm not there and talks only to my friend.

Or the person says and does something foolish like "I know how to speak deaf" and signs the number ten.

I'm thinking it's these people who spawn the dubious statistic that ASL is the third most "spoken" language in the U.S. after English and Spanish.

I don't know that it is the 3rd most spoken fluently, but then I would question the assertion that Spanish is the 2nd most fluently spoken, as well. When those statistics are gathered, they don't figure fluency into the equation. But then, I know some people whose native language is English, and they aren't neccesarily fluent in the use of that, either!:giggle:

Amazing fluency there. :D

Well, I might have turned around and said, "Oh, hello there, Smoky Fingers; I understand you were just yelling at me". :giggle:

Dunno about following up with a slap, tho; maybe Dixie's gotten slap-happy shoving dem turkeys around at the plant! :giggle:

Eh, I remember one time when I went to Bojangles to order some dinner. I wrote what I wanted on a notepad. The cashier look at it and began to talk to me.

Of course I went "Huh?" and tried to read her lips. But to no success and she even tried over again and again. I did not understand why she resisted to understand that it's pointless with me and could have went ahead and write on notepad. I think around that time I tried to point to the notepad to encourage her to write instead.

Slowly but surely it dawns on her that I could not read her lips and she wrote on the notepad and she apologized to me. I just smiled and nodded like it's no big deal.
In notepad, she wrote she thought I could read the lips.
I assumed that she had a deaf customer or know someone who can read lips and assumed that all deaf people can do it too. lol At least she was nice enough to say sorry.

Stereotype can be a dangerous thing lol.

Well, I might have turned around and said, "Oh, hello there, Smoky Fingers; I understand you were just yelling at me". :giggle:

Dunno about following up with a slap, tho; maybe Dixie's gotten slap-happy shoving dem turkeys around at the plant! :giggle:

:rofl: maybe so - but to be honest with you I really do work with some people down there that could use a good slapping! :giggle:

OK maybe a back handed follow up isnt the best idea but it sure would relieve my tension if only for a moment!

In retrospect of what I originally posted perhaps the best comeback would be to start signing to them and when they dont understand get mad at them, then write down - oh I thought you knew sign! :lol:

In retrospect of what I originally posted perhaps the best comeback would be to start signing to them and when they dont understand get mad at them, then write down - oh I thought you knew sign! :lol:

Why don't you put this into practice when the occassion arise? Then let us know how that went down :lol:

hey speaking of slapping each other two hispanic ladies got into a slapping fight at work the other day, :lol:

This story reminds me of friends/ people in

college. When we were out at clubs they would YELLLLLLLLLL into my left ear. All I would feel was a TINGLE that ITCH the heck out of my ear. I repeatedly told them, "you are better off talking normal in front of my face so I can read your lips versus YELLLLINGGG into my DEAF ear. Bless their hearts, they were not trying to be rude - they just couldn't quite grasp it!:stupid:

Back