Oh serious.. please...

posts from hell

Reaction score
Interpreters should have a damned good English.
I read some interpreter's introduction and such - their English sucks. That alone makes me shudder and wonder about MY interpreters that I use.

.... sigh...

I read some interpreter's introduction and such - their English sucks. That alone makes me shudder and wonder about MY interpreters that I use.

.... sigh...

damn. "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Nobody is perfect.

:shrug:
While I understand the passive nature of this statement it should not go unnoticed that when you're in court telling your story about an accident you were involved in. You start pointing to the right rear side of your neck and say that the pain is still there running down your neck and there is something wrong with it. The interpreter tells the court there is something wrong with your head.

(This actually happened)

Oooooo. Now the court thinks you're not normal anymore..... But again, nobodys perfect, we must accept and move on, correct?

We need to be proactive in these situations.

While I understand the passive nature of this statement it should not go unnoticed that when you're in court telling your story about an accident you were involved in. You start pointing to the right rear side of your neck and say that the pain is still there running down your neck and there is something wrong with it. The interpreter tells the court there is something wrong with your head.

(This actually happened)

Oooooo. Now the court thinks you're not normal anymore..... But again, nobodys perfect, we must accept and move on, correct?

agreed. it's a professional job and I expect the professionals to know it. "Nobody's perfect" is not an acceptable excuse or justification for one's shortcoming especially when he/she is a professional... at least for me. I'm that anal :o

(This actually happened)

Oh please. LOL.

yeah like royal said, noboy is purrfect. if you follow your interpreter fine then thats fine. If not then request for another interpreter???

Do we have to expect an interpreter to have perfect English while we need them to SIGN good for us....that's the most important part. We just need notetakers that have good English, which is the other important part. I don't care about what English skills a sign language interpreter has as long he/she can sign fluently that I care about.

(This actually happened)

That example is particularly unacceptable. :mad: Legal interpreters are supposed to be the most qualified, and certified in that specialty.

Do we have to expect an interpreter to have perfect English while we need them to SIGN good for us....that's the most important part. We just need notetakers that have good English, which is the other important part. I don't care about what English skills a sign language interpreter has as long he/she can sign fluently that I care about.

I do not expect them to know perfect English but I expect his/her English to be at proficient level. The interpreter is converting English into ASL for you. If his English is bad.... he's useless! It leads to mistranslation.... which leads to miscommunication..... which leads to possible costly errors.

This is a legal situation. HE MUST BE PROFICIENT AT BOTH ASL AND ENGLISH!

Yes, interpreters are supposed to be fluent in all languages that they use.

When a sign language interpreter "voices" for a deaf client, the English that the interpreter uses will influence the impression that the hearing client has of the deaf person. Rightly or wrongly, it does happen.

Voice interpreting requires an extensive English vocabulary, proper grammar, and appropriate inflection. Matching the English production to the deaf client's signs, age, mood, sex, etc., is important. I don't voice the same way for a 12-year-old boy and a 68-year-old granny.

Needless to say, verbal "glossing" is OUT, verboten, no-no, and unsat.

I do not expect them to know perfect English but I expect his/her English to be at proficient level. The interpreter is converting English into ASL for you. If his English is bad.... he's useless! It leads to mistranslation.... which leads to miscommunication..... which leads to possible costly errors.

This is a legal situation. HE MUST BE PROFICIENT AT BOTH ASL AND ENGLISH!

Yeah, as long the interpreter is doing their job...I'm ok with that. The interpreter would have to convert my sign language to English...that's one of the tough parts.

Yes, interpreters are supposed to be fluent in all languages that they use.

When a sign language interpreter "voices" for a deaf client, the English that the interpreter uses will influence the impression that the hearing client has of the deaf person. Rightly or wrongly, it does happen.

Voice interpreting requires an extensive English vocabulary, proper grammar, and appropriate inflection. Matching the English production to the deaf client's signs, age, mood, sex, etc., is important. I don't voice the same way for a 12-year-old boy and a 68-year-old granny.

Needless to say, verbal "glossing" is OUT, verboten, no-no, and unsat.

Really? I never knew that, interesting about voicing with different ages, sex and mood or whatever.

No kidding! That was one reason I made the decision to get a CI, making sure the interpreter was on the same page as I was a frustrating experience sometimes. But really, there are good professionals too, but I admit I don't have much patience to review everything the interpreter said. I feel better communicating on my own, knowing I am giving the right message across. :)

Yeah, as long the interpreter is doing their job...I'm ok with that. The interpreter would have to convert my sign language to English...that's one of the tough parts.

Really? I never knew that, interesting about voicing with different ages, sex and mood or whatever.

all for more reason why terps should be proficient in both English and ASL as Reba said.

.... sigh...

Your link leads to a mini city. Is it supposed too?

Jiro said:
agreed. it's a professional job and I expect the professionals to know it. "Nobody's perfect" is not an acceptable excuse or justification for one's shortcoming especially when he/she is a professional... at least for me. I'm that anal
Although I have come to view you as somewhat of an ass at times, I don't believe that you are being "anal" over this situation ;)

Curious... how bad is the terp's English?

Although I have come to view you as somewhat of an ass at times, I don't believe that you are being "anal" over this situation ;)

can't help it about me being a Scorpio :bowlol:

Back