Obtaining financial aid for school...

mizwytch

Reaction score
Hey hey...recently I've realized that I need to definitely upgrade and go back to school. I turned 42 back in Oct. and realized that after years raising kids, and having spent my hearing life stuck in menial crap jobs, this just isn't going to cut it anymore. I realized quite quickly that any of the jobs I am qualified for requires being able to hear very well and that isn't an option for me anymore either. I have found a school that offers online courses and it is situated right in my home state of Georgia in Atlanta. However, the curriculum is considered unconventional and therefore isn't eligible for the usual sort of financial aid. The school is The American Institute of Metaphysics. I've done my homework, got the staff's credentials, and this is a field of study with a LOT of opportunities and one I have a passion for. The school is legit and not a scam. (if anyone is interested here is the link: The American Institute of Metaphysics, Located in Atlanta Georgia

I'm aiming for a Doctorate in Paranormal Sciences. Anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to obtain a grant of some sort for this? I'm looking at about $3000...$2727.90 to be precise. :hmm:

Thanks for your reply Scott. No I don't have a Pell Grant and I don't know what a VR is. heh heh

Thanks for your reply Scott. No I don't have a Pell Grant and I don't know what a VR is. heh heh

Vocational Rehabilitation is VR. THey will fund you for retraining if you can't work due to your late hearing loss.

Pell Grant does have income requirements so you should check if you make too much.

Thanks Bottesini! Hmmm...I will check into the Pell Grant thing. As my income at present is very limited, because I am unemployed and my hubby is a freelance writer and jobs are 'spotty' right now at best, that might be an option.

I will check and see about what I can get done with the VR too.

I just sent an inquiry to the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation folks and guess I'll wait to see what they say. Thanks for the info!

:) Actually, deafbajagal, my interests involve more than just ghosts. I have an intense interest in the area of cryptozoology as I have had personal experience in running into things that defy explanation. Too many reports of strange creatures that are broadly considered either to be mythical or extinct. Although, my own experiences with the spiritual reality has been often as well. I love all things paranormal.:) The Doctorate program covers everything from Ancient Civilizations and the Annunaki to Lycanthropy and Vampirism.
Being a "ghostbuster" falls somewhere in between. LOL
If you are interested in checking out the Institute's site the link in my first post here.

$3000 for doctorate-level degree? I wonder about that because that would pay about 2 quarters of undergrad-level classes for me.

Hey Glenn

Hey Glenn! Nice to meet you! The Institute isn't a government funded mainstream college and therefore the usual financial aid options aren't available to me for this course of study or to the Institute and therefore I would imagine it takes a bit more to keep the Institute financed. Honestly, this is a branch of science that mainstream science has treated like a "poor relation" for a long time...but it is a field that is coming into it's own now. Most mainstream colleges could get funding for courses like this if they would offer them, but the majority of colleges don't like to be associated with this branch of science because of the rep mainstream science has given it. And, The Institute doesn't discriminate against deaf folks. They are very specific about those sort of issues. :) Since I have become deaf I have been experiencing a whole new reality and perspective of how society responds to people who have "disabilities". So, finding a school that welcomes people like me and offers the course of study I have long desired to obtain a degree in has been a stroke of good fortune for me. :)

I have a question: What do you do with this degree once you get your ph.d?

And can you tell me more about your paranormal experiences that could not be explained by the modern science? As for crytozoology....does that mean finding unicorns as well?

Hey hey...recently I've realized that I need to definitely upgrade and go back to school. I turned 42 back in Oct. and realized that after years raising kids, and having spent my hearing life stuck in menial crap jobs, this just isn't going to cut it anymore. I realized quite quickly that any of the jobs I am qualified for requires being able to hear very well and that isn't an option for me anymore either. I have found a school that offers online courses and it is situated right in my home state of Georgia in Atlanta. However, the curriculum is considered unconventional and therefore isn't eligible for the usual sort of financial aid. The school is The American Institute of Metaphysics. I've done my homework, got the staff's credentials, and this is a field of study with a LOT of opportunities and one I have a passion for. The school is legit and not a scam. (if anyone is interested here is the link: The American Institute of Metaphysics, Located in Atlanta Georgia

I'm aiming for a Doctorate in Paranormal Sciences. Anyone have any suggestions where I might be able to obtain a grant of some sort for this? I'm looking at about $3000...$2727.90 to be precise. :hmm:

you do realize that this school is unaccredited?

no VR is ever gonna pay for this kind of school. I doubt there is any grant available for this kind of school either. You won't get a Pell Grant for this because this program doesn't meet the federal requirement.

I'm sure that you expected to hear some skeptical responses from us so here it is :lol:

This "doctorate" thing from this institute is worthless. You would be addressed as "Dr. Mizwytch" only in that campus. I'd say - save your money and spend it on something else more worthwhile like... say... Applied Physiology or Cognitive Sciences. or maybe Applied Physics.

with weighty academic background from accredited colleges, you would be more likely to be able to explain a paranormal activity scientifically. It's much more fascinating to explain it scientifically than unscientifically.

Here's a scientific example that I learned long time ago. You know how you hear stories about when people were on the brink of death but came back to life... they claimed to see something so wonderful but vague - a room full of bright light... like a heaven. sometimes a mysterious figure that resembles God.

Scientific Explanation? NASA astronauts and Air Force pilots experienced exactly same thing. How? The centrifugal room where they undergo high G-force training. As the g-force gets higher, they started to blackout. That brief time period is when they saw a heaven-like vision. Bright light is the result of electrical pulse firing in your brain. As your brain suffers lack of blood flow, your brain gets extremely disoriented and confused and you will started seeing some images - which explains a hallucination. It is not surprising that during that brief period - a person interprets that event as a life-changing experience because he/she saw God or heaven.

I have a question: What do you do with this degree once you get your ph.d?

And can you tell me more about your paranormal experiences that could not be explained by the modern science? As for crytozoology....does that mean finding unicorns as well?

There are organizations and special task forces to deal with "unusual" cases. Some are government organizations...such the FBI...who keep people who specialize in these sort of subjects as consultants...as do some local law enforcement agencies that come across murder cases that have all the earmarks of being way out of the ordinary.

As for unicorns, not to likely. :giggle: Cryptozoology deals with the discovery and identification of creatures either as yet unknown in conventional Zoological sciences or the discovery of creatures thought to be long extinct most usually. However, all myths and legends do have a basis in fact. Who knows? If unicorns existed then I would imagine they were some sort of small antelope.

Back