Obama Fried Chicken

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
‘Obama Fried Chicken’ Will Keep Its Name

obamafriedchicken-480.jpg

The man who caused a stir by calling his fast-food restaurant Obama Fried Chicken no longer plans to change the name, despite a growing outcry from protesters who say the name conjures up disturbing racial stereotypes.

On Monday, about 20 people, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, protested outside the restaurant, at Rutland Road and Rockaway Parkway in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

“He wasn’t a man of his word,” one of the protest organizers, Kevin McCall, said Tuesday, referring to the restaurant’s owner. “He didn’t keep his commitment of having this sign down. This is very offensive to African-Americans.”

The restaurant, previously called Royal Fried Chicken, took the Obama name in late March in a gesture of fondness for the president, said Mohammad Jabbar, the manager and spokesman for the restaurant.

Under pressure last week, Mr. Jabbar, who said he is not the owner, said the name would be changed to Popular Fried Chicken over the weekend. But on Monday, the sign was still there — a fact noted by the free newspaper amNY, under the print headline “What the Cluck?”

The White House disapproves of using the president’s name for commercial purposes, a spokesman said.

On Tuesday, Mr. Jabbar explained that the owner had changed his mind because the new sign, which he says cost about $5,000, has been embraced. He estimated that four out of every five customers have supported the name. “They’re telling us not to remove,” he said.

Mr. Jabbar added that he believed the controversy was over.

Another protest is planned for noon Saturday — news that caught Mr. Jabbar by surprise.

“We’re going to continue to keep the pressure on,” said Mr. McCall. “If he thinks we’re going away that’s not going to happen.”

wtf? this is in Brooklyn??? no way.... I'll try to visit there soon. :hmm:

Is it legal just to take a famous person's name and use it on a business?

The man can call his restaurant anything he wants.
If he wants to leave it at Obama Fried Chicken then so be it.

The White House disapproves of using the president’s name for commercial purposes, a spokesman said.
then I guess all those Obama products being sold should be removed as well or is the problem that Obama hasn't figured out how to take a cut of the owners money yet? Since Obama is not a name with a copywrite then Obama cannot insist he remove the name.

The Obamas need to make up their minds. They got all mad because the doll company wanted to make dolls of their daughters but then turned around and gushed over the Lego Company making legos of them and the inauguration.

The man can call his restaurant anything he wants.
If he wants to leave it at Obama Fried Chicken then so be it.

then I guess all those Obama products being sold should be removed as well or is the problem that Obama hasn't figured out how to take a cut of the owners money yet? Since Obama is not a name with a copywrite then Obama cannot insist he remove the name.

The Obamas need to make up their minds. They got all mad because the doll company wanted to make dolls of their daughters but then turned around and gushed over the Lego Company making legos of them and the inauguration.

Obama did stated about disapprove? I haven't hear about what Obama did make state.

It would be big deal if full Obama name is on sign but last name is just nothing, really nothing to hurt the reputation.

The protest isn't so much about hurting Obama personally as it is about the use of an offensive stereotype.

I truly don't know how I feel about this.
Due to the fact that the owner probably actually likes and worships Obama. If the owner was of color. Would this be a big issue?

I truly don't know how I feel about this.
Due to the fact that the owner probably actually likes and worships Obama. If the owner was of color. Would this be a big issue?

I may be wrong, but with a name like Mohammad Jabbar, I'd say he probably is a man of color...just not African American. And chances are, he probably did not even realize he was playing into a racial stereotype.

Obama did stated about disapprove? I haven't hear about what Obama did make state.

It would be big deal if full Obama name is on sign but last name is just nothing, really nothing to hurt the reputation.

Exactly, it would be illegal if the owner use well-known´s full name for his/her business but the owner only use last name, not full name.

Obama can tell the owner to remove the last name if he want to but he didn´t yet. Like what Obama and his wife did is told the owner to not use their daughters´s name to make dolls.

As long as people allow perceived stereotypes to run their lives these types of stories will give the race baiters and race haters something to work with.

On Monday, about 20 people, including the Rev. Al Sharpton, protested outside the restaurant, at Rutland Road and Rockaway Parkway in Brownsville, Brooklyn.
Perfect example of one who needs to keep a perceived race problem going to pad his own pockets.

*Reading the article* :roll:

I personally don´t think it´s a racist thing but I think the owner is Obama´s fan like many Obama´s fans use coins, posters, T-shirt, flag, etc.

I really don't understand why the people get offensive because black people associate with fried chicken and watermelon (excuse me for :topic: over watermelon because I remember that same situation over Obama and watermelon thread few months ago).

I think it´s ridiculous to consider those stereotype foods, black people eats as racism.

I may be wrong, but with a name like Mohammad Jabbar, I'd say he probably is a man of color...just not African American. And chances are, he probably did not even realize he was playing into a racial stereotype.

What I pretty much figured.

I really don't understand why the people get offensive because black people associate with fried chicken and watermelon (excuse me for over watermelon because I remember that same situation over Obama and watermelon thread few months ago).
I was thinking of that very thread!

Back