NY passes 1st US gun control bill since massacre

In an effort to touch on all four of those elements, the president recommended requiring criminal background checks for all gun sales; reinstating the assault weapons ban; restoring a 10-round limit on ammunition magazines; eliminating armor-piercing bullets; providing mental health services in schools; allocating funds to hire more police officers; and instituting a federal gun trafficking statute, among other policies. The cost of the package, senior officials estimated, would be roughly $500 million, some of which could come from already budgeted funds.

Because these recommendations require congressional approval, the administration is supplementing its proposal with 23 executive actions that will be taken immediately. Those actions include requiring federal agencies to hand over relevant data for a background check system; providing law enforcement officials, first responders and school officials with better training for active shooting situations; directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence; and many more.

Obama Gun Control Proposals Unveiled, Marking Biggest Legislative Effort In A Generation

See? The assault weapon ban will require the congressional approval and I doubt that federal will ban on assault weapon in anytime soon.

I have expectation for Obama - don't go beyond the constitution limit.

I don't think that's a fair statement.

I agree with you, I have nothing to against on gun owners since my view on gun rights is centrist. I have no problem for state to pass the law to allow open carry or concealed carry, however I'm concerned or heavily questions about sensitive area, such as school. I have 2 ways to against on left and right, such as arm the teachers and renew the federal assault weapon ban, because both of them don't solve anything, just very small influence.

Diehardbiker, don't assume me as anti-gun rights but I don't agree with you about laws and the courts. I have much doubt about the court and I don't take expectation about the court ruling, including gay marriage. I could state my hope about the court ruling, but I don't have any hope on gun rights because I don't have much interest with guns in the real life, but the video game is different story because I'm gamer. NRA said you have to follow state, federal and local laws so it is part of your responsibility to follow the law, even no matter if you don't agree with laws, but you can fight in the court. I have no problem with gun regulation, especially background check and banning anyone with felony record to armed.

Ask questions about criminal - please ask those questions to members who support gun control law, especially CrazyPaul and Jillio. I have mixed thinking and doubt about criminals because it is hard to find out about correlation with societies.

then state police or federal agents will enforce the law, also Mueller isn't judge of highest court, so his view about unconstitutional is opinion and he can't use his opinion on us.

I think you are too overreacted because Obama can't ban on assault weapon with executive order and he only use executive order to follow the existing laws - see my post or VacationGuy's post (in other thread).
Here Are The 23 Executive Orders On Gun Safety Signed Today By The President - Forbes

More accurate list of the Executive Orders. (Note "Order" not "action"....words matter)

President Barack Obama said Wednesday he will take these actions by Executive Order:

1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background-check system.

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background-check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background- check system.

4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate an ATF director.

12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to healthcare providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency-response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within Affordable Care Act exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

List of Obama's Executive Orders on Gun Control, Assault Rifle Ban

This law is a waste of time as guns owners names and addresses been printed in the NY news papers so people that can't buy guns will be breaking into guns owners homes to steal their guns! I bet the crime rate will be going up when people can't buy a gun , they will only have to see you have a gun and break into the house.

When arguing for gun rights, one should not be using crime as a walking stick. The second amendment is ULTIMATELY designed to protect you from the tyranny of government. It's really that simple. We must remember modern day horrors such as Rwanda and the Holocaust. Even sterilization here in the US up until the mid 80's.

This law is a waste of time as guns owners names and addresses been printed in the NY news papers so people that can't buy guns will be breaking into guns owners homes to steal their guns! I bet the crime rate will be going up when people can't buy a gun , they will only have to see you have a gun and break into the house.

That is a pretty safe bet. The violent crime rate in the UK skyrocketed after their gun ban.

385225_475697762465601_1497191267_n.jpg

he said violent crimes.... not just homicides.

_44009033_trends_in_vio_gra416.gif

There were 1,046,437 offences of violence against the person recorded by the police in 2006/07, which represented a fall of 1%. There were also falls in sexual offences, down seven per cent to 57,542, but robberies rose three per cent to 101,370.

Recorded violent crime has more than doubled in the eight years between 1998/99 and 2006/07. The Home Office attributes this increases in recording of violent crime following the introduction of the National Crime Recording Standard (NCRS) in April 2002.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6906554.stm

Hardly correlation.

did you know most of guns especially military weapons in black market (south-eastern area like CA) were sold/supplied by.... our own government? and lied about it by blaming us?

Operation Fast and Furious. BUSTED!

At least a few that went to Mexico and killed a U.S. Border Patrol Agent and some Mexican citizens as well I'm sure.

nothing? but we already have plenty of gun laws in place and government isn't even enforcing it.

so why bother passing even worse law with no intention to enforce it? Project Exile makes a much better sense to enforce than this ridiculous bill.

Whatever Project Exile is?

yep. and plus a handful of shooters stole the guns from their family members.

actually under this new law... it would be illegal to have a possession of high capacity magazine. same thing with NJ. so if you relocate to somewhere... buy a gun w/ high-capacity magazine... and then move back in... well - you'd have to sell it before you move back in or you could get in deep trouble.

that's what happened to Brian Aitken. His jail sentence got commuted by Governor Christie but not pardoned because of hollow-point ammunition. It's illegal to bring HP rounds outside your home.

The whole thing is ridiculous isn't it?!

Hardly correlation.

one thing you need to learn about socioeconomics and criminal statistics... there's always hardly any solid correlation ever. you can't even come up with one yourself either.

you just need to apply some common sense and critical thinking... and you'll find one.

It doesn't prove that gun ban is correlation to increase the violent crime for short time, so I don't see anything to support your claim.

This was my only claim....

The violent crime rate in the UK skyrocketed after their gun ban.

Your link said it doubled.

one thing you need to learn about socioeconomics and criminal statistics... there's always hardly any solid correlation ever. you can't even come up with one yourself either.

you just need to apply some common sense and critical thinking... and you'll find one.

I believe that strengthening the gun rights to reduce the crime is much pretty myth.

Back