new 4 me

girlygti

Reaction score
I went to the book store to buy some books on sign , but I am not sure which is best for me to learn first.
ASL or SEE?

My brother can read lips but it would be nice to surprise him with more then finger spelling.

That's a tough question. What is your brother's grammar level? If his grammar level is high, then you're fine with ASL. If his grammar level is low, then get SEE for that will help him improve his grammar.

Well my brother and I communicate with reading lips and also just talking. I wanted to learn sign but he really did not have the time to teach me.
Now he does... And I want to communicate in general with people... I can sign to him or whom ever.

My brother said he learned esl then asl. But he is not sure what would be best for me to start out with....

Thanks so much!

girlygti said:
Well my brother and I communicate with reading lips and also just talking. I wanted to learn sign but he really did not have the time to teach me.
Now he does... And I want to communicate in general with people... I can sign to him or whom ever.

My brother said he learned esl then asl. But he is not sure what would be best for me to start out with....

Thanks so much!

ASL IS BEST FOR YOU TO START.

girlygti said:

Thanks so much!

I'd go with whatever he is the most familiar and comfortable with, personally.

Now that you mention that, ASL would be the best choice. I grew up on SEE/ESL and that helped me with my English through school. After graduating, I've already understood the full structure of English that using ASL wouldn't be a problem for me. Now, I'm mixed of ASL and SEE. Since your brother already knows ESL, then he should be aware of the structure so ASL should not really have much of an effect on him. How old did you say he was?

girlygti said:
Whoa... he's old enough! Go ahead with ASL. He's smart enough to understand and stick with his English.

VamPyroX said:
Whoa... he's old enough! Go ahead with ASL. He's smart enough to understand and stick with his English.

Oh, yeah, definitely. Here I was thinking he was like...13 or 14. LOL

lol... I went to best buy and bought a computer set to teach me ASL (4 cd set) plus went to library and got signing for dummies! since I feel like a dummie... maybe this will help!
WIsh me me luck! When I get good, I have to sign to you all!! some how....

girlygti said:
lol... I went to best buy and bought a computer set to teach me ASL (4 cd set) plus went to library and got signing for dummies! since I feel like a dummie... maybe this will help!
WIsh me me luck! When I get good, I have to sign to you all!! some how....

Hi there..just came across this thread -- I was now wondering how things are going so far for you in picking up ASL and communicating with your brother?
Don't fret over feeling like a dummy -- it's normal to be a new beginner on learning a new language. It takes time to pick it up and be able to use it quite well and fluently in time. :)

Relax and enjoy learning! :thumb:

Back