Need to STOP Cochlear Implant on Deaf babies

Agreed....but again there were HA babies who did so as well......There have always been kids with a "nautral apititude for oral skills".....Also one thing needs to be brought up, and of course that's just b/c a dhh kid does well orally,it just means that they have good oral skills...That's an important thing to understand.....oralist imply that good oral skills automaticly= good life acheivement.....Oral skills are really only a small piece of the puzzle....

A small, yet very important piece. Remember, we are not training children for either deaf, Deaf or hearing communities. We are training them for all communities. So, if oral communication can be obtained to a satisfactory level(no matter how it is achieved) that's important.

I don't think you can get, "good life achievement" without communication.

A small, yet very important piece. Remember, we are not training children for either deaf, Deaf or hearing communities. We are training them for all communities. So, if oral communication can be obtained to a satisfactory level(no matter how it is achieved) that's important.

I would rather stick with Deaf communities than being in the hearing community. I am more comfortable in that area. :(

i am disappointed with Deaf school that they didn't share the fact as to why students with CI who recevied CI at a early age such as todders. They end up being placed in Deaf school instead of hearing school.

i am disappointed with Deaf school that they didn't share the fact as to why students with CI who recevied CI at a early age such as todders. They end up being placed in Deaf school instead of hearing school.

Why in the world would deaf toddlers had to put up with getting CI from both the medical community and parents? If they can not do well in the nursery school especially when it come to trying to understand what the teacher and classmates are talking about. If they are not ahead with other deaf/hearing classmates, then they fail. CI toddlers are far behind in their classwork. Another thing is maybe the CI devices have failed which the CI toddlers are not responding to the sounds. :dunno:

So that is probably the reason why they were being send to the Deaf school later, not in the toddler years. CI toddlers have to wait until they are old enough to go to the Deaf School.

Beside, they would be more comfortable understanding the teachers who sign in the nursery school than trying to understand in the mainstream school especially if there were ASL interpreters (unless the mainstream schools are not providing ASL interpreters).

In Deaf schools, we need ASL teachers to teach them necessary subjects, like Math, English, Science, Geography, Social Studies and others. It is much easier to understand. If they go to mainstream school, they are being wasted by hearing teachers with no ASL.

I would rather stick with Deaf communities than being in the hearing community. I am more comfortable in that area. :(

You can certainly pick social interaction, but it's doubtful anyone can avoid the hearing community all together. Barring living by oneself in the wilderness of course.

If deaf promoted more of a culture were we produced and sold things, it would certainly make us, as a sub group, stronger. There would be a choice of whom to buy goods, etc. However, size wise I don't think we are large enough to have that big an impact.

Precisely...............that is why I'm extremely pro full toolbox.There's value with spoken communication but its like the value that being able to speak English has for Spanish speakers......It should be promoted as a VERY useful skill,rather then as the be all and end all...And many deaf schools (with the exception of USDB) do have awesome supplemental speech services...matter of fact I thought the percentage of ASL only kids was actually pretty small...

one of the plms in the above is most who push these things do so hell bent on the opposite idea.

Last edited:
On top of everything else, I just can't get behind altering someone else's body before they have the ability to tell me "no". It isn't right! I wouldn't want someone to do that to me, how could I ever do that to someone else??

I've lived in both worlds....the hearing world is FAR superior....keep implanting babies so they have a chance to live in the hearing world!!! If they choose not to later, they simply don't wear their processors..easy as that.

i think Germany IT more force parents do this...i read about some parents who had child taken away and parents classed as cruel not allowing CI awful situation

I've lived in both worlds....the hearing world is FAR superior....keep implanting babies so they have a chance to live in the hearing world!!! If they choose not to later, they simply don't wear their processors..easy as that.

:noway: You are definitely a big time audist.

That goes for this, too. Very big time audist. **nodded** :roll:

*sigh* Why does one have to be superior? To me they are equal. I wish we could bridge the gap. They yeah french and Spanish in public schools, why not teach ASL too? People want easier communication, period. Only ASL have a harder time communicating in hearing situations same as hearing have a hard time in Deaf groups..... why isolate????

EXCUSE ME!!!! don't presume to dictate or tell me hearie world is superior....allot hallow nerve you have
"""keep implanting babies"""" you would like to do it against the will of Deaf parents. its not just about the processor man. they implant and do there best to deny sign and deaf culture to babies.
what do you think is happening. by targeting the babies they are trying to extinguish DEAF
if you would of signed this to my face i would of knocked your teeth out

Last edited:
In other countries, they have laws or policies that all deaf babies must be implanted and be in oral only programs. I think it is that way in Germany. France, I am not sure. That just stinks!!!

I'm pretty sure that is false. I'll reconsider if you give some reliable source.
Parents should have a choice about their children.

Forcing or denying a CI is wrong.

I'm pretty sure that is false. I'll reconsider if you give some reliable source.
Parents should have a choice about their children.

Forcing or denying a CI is wrong.

Norway? Pretty sure they have that program.

Precisely...............that is why I'm extremely pro full toolbox.There's value with spoken communication but its like the value that being able to speak English has for Spanish speakers......It should be promoted as a VERY useful skill,rather then as the be all and end all...And many deaf schools (with the exception of USDB) do have awesome supplemental speech services...matter of fact I thought the percentage of ASL only kids was actually pretty small...

Until Deaf education progresses to a point where Deaf children are EXPECTED to be on par or ahead of hearing children, not much will change.
We all know that ASL is very different from written and spoken English but not being able to construct understandable sentences in written English is not a failure of a Deaf individual, it is a failure of the education system.

If we keep maintaining that ASL is just as complex and full of life as written English (and other languages) we have to ensure that Deaf children are literate. Actually LITERATE, an 18 year old reading Nancy Drew books is not good enough.

Your expecting Deaf children in school to be able to express themselves or have reading comprehension in english a language they do not speak nor hear, nor use as a first language, at the same level of comprehension with children who speak english as a first language and also can hear English?
O I C

Back