Name Signs

zethrine44

Reaction score
so i am an ASL student (teaching myself) and i was wondering how does one go about getting a name sign? the only way i know of, which i pulled from switched at birth, is that you have to be given a name sign by a deaf or hoh person. is this true?

Yes I learned the same thing...a name sign MUST be given by someone who is deaf.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Also, not every person has a name sign. There are plenty of Deaf people who's 'name sign' is their name or initials fingerspelled - especially if they have a short or easy to spell name.

I think hearing people tend to think that they have to have a name sign to "belong" etc - this isn't true.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

For example, I'm hoh/deaf from birth - my name is short so it's just fingerspelled.

Another thing many hearing people don't realize is that one's name sign isn't (necessarily) "permanent" - it can change when someone becomes an adult, moves to a new area etc.

Last edited:
My real name is 9 letters long, so I hope I eventually get a name sign in the years to come! ;)

Lol...mine is seven. Finger spelling took some getting use to. My fingers did not want to cooperate at first.

I don't really have a name sign. It's the same sign I've had since I was in elementary school. It was the same kind of sign that everyone used, but as everyone got older... they developed their own name signs... except me. I guess I'm just... simple. (Or boring?) ;)

Yes this is true. I am an ASL student as well and I have taken many years of ASL and you must be active in the Deaf community for a few years and a Deaf person will give you a name sign. That is their way of accepting you into the Deaf community and their culture!

wow thanks guys there was so much info there my real name is only 5 letters long and can eve be abbreviated from there so i guess it would be pointless to have a name sign but it still might be neat to have one. my school friends call me bear (a nickname derived from when i was little i would wake up from a nap and growl at people) so when theyre talking to be they do the sign for bear.

Back