Nail polish? Curious question

AJunkyardDog

Reaction score
I am a beginner to ASL, and when I started out I never wore nailpolish. I took a break from school, and am getting ready to go back after deciding I would like to study ASL.
Lately I have gotten into wearing bright nail polish. I know this is considered inappropriate for translators, but I am just looking for an overall opinion from members of the deaf community.
How do you feel about nail polish? Is it obnoxiously distracting no matter who is wearing it? Or just unprofessional for translators?

Thanks.

A nail polish color that is "gaudy" or bright would be a distraction for me when watching an interpreter. (Which is funny because I used to live to wear gaudy nail polish colors. I was in a green, blue, orange, etc. phase for a bit :lol: ) Other than that, I don't have a problem. That's just for me, though. (I'm deaf, not an interpreter.)

I love nail polish...but I'm not an interpretor...the last interpretor that I used, was an older woman, who was wearing black nail polish....I couldn't help but to notice it when she was interpreting...wasn't too much of a distraction, tho'. But an array of rings and bracelets would be more distracting!

When you become an interpreter (not translator), and you are "on duty," you should keep visual distractions to a minimum. That means no unnaturally colored or patterned fingernails, and keep them clean and neat. Also, no tatts showing on hands and arms, no bracelets, and limit rings to one only (or one ring "set" such as a combination engagement/wedding ring).

These "rules" are even more important when interpreting for clients who have vision problems.

In the meantime, practice your receptive skills with other signers who wear psychedelic shirts, numerous tatts and piercings, brightly patterned fingernails, t-shirts printed with the worst obscenities, glitter-sprinkled hair and eyelids, and an endless supply of bracelets and rings. Then, dim the room lights, turn a projector on facing you, and ask your friends to parade back and forth between you and the signer. That will prepare you for the real world of interpreting. :lol:

I am a beginner to ASL, and when I started out I never wore nailpolish. I took a break from school, and am getting ready to go back after deciding I would like to study ASL.
Lately I have gotten into wearing bright nail polish. I know this is considered inappropriate for translators, but I am just looking for an overall opinion from members of the deaf community.
How do you feel about nail polish? Is it obnoxiously distracting no matter who is wearing it? Or just unprofessional for translators?

Thanks.

Nail polish of any kind doesn't bother me, and neither does hand/finger jewelry. I like to wear nail polish myself. I am currently wearing hot pink and black nail polishes, alternating the colors on each finger. It's fun!

In the meantime, practice your receptive skills with other signers who wear psychedelic shirts, numerous tatts and piercings, brightly patterned fingernails, t-shirts printed with the worst obscenities, glitter-sprinkled hair and eyelids, and an endless supply of bracelets and rings. Then, dim the room lights, turn a projector on facing you, and ask your friends to parade back and forth between you and the signer. That will prepare you for the real world of interpreting. :lol:

LOL, I dress that way! And I'm planning to get my first tattoo soon, if I get enough money from xmas. I can't wait!

very neutral color that almost blends with your hands are fine for me. I had interpreter who have beautiful nails. She got a very soft dull pink but they are very pretty. She had nice nails they were not very short but normal like every women got nails. Sometimes she likes to change the color like following the seasons, such as fall, winter, spring and summer. Just not too loud colorful nails that is very distraction.

For an terp on duty, I agree with Reba.

For personal reasons I never wear nail polish. My son let me know when he was very young that it bothered him when I was signing. I stopped wearing it then, and because I have so many deaf people I have contact with on a daily basis, I just never bother with it.

For an terp on duty, I agree with Reba.

For personal reasons I never wear nail polish. My son let me know when he was very young that it bothered him when I was signing. I stopped wearing it then, and because I have so many deaf people I have contact with on a daily basis, I just never bother with it.
I never bother with polish either. I prefer a good buffing; it gets the ridges out and leaves a smooth surface.

I think clear nail polish or french manquire should work ok.. but as long not too LONG nails lol ;) and i love nail polish myself but lately it kept screweing up for no reason oh well I have to fix it soon lol and go nail salon before christmas eve... but hope it's still on sale 20% off.. :D but no fake nails for me cuz nearly damanged my nails took me 6 months to heal ugh

I was wondering about this myself. I have shorter nails and usually paint them in soft neutral colors or pale pink frost and sometimes French manicaure. I've heard that with signing, one should keep the distractions to a minimum, and that made sense to me. But, considering how visible and on display your hands are, I think also think that they should always look nice - both men and women.

Back