my daughter was diagnosed w/Hearing loss

TXGolfer - I guess you missed all those stories of us having migraines as kids when we were mainstreamed from the concerted effort to lipread in class at the same time we were learning to speak.

It takes far more energy and effort to lipread people than it does for a hearing person to hear what someone else said. If I spent all day around hearing people and trying to lipread them and they are not enunciating clearly, or mumbling, or have food in their mouth or turning around, or if i'm in a group, figuring out who's speaking turning to look at them, missing half of what they said then figuring out whose voice is responding, turn to look then miss what they said, etc etc etc, then it takes even more labourious effort to understand and mentally piece together all the "heard" words to fill in the blanks where we didn't catch the words. After a day like that, I'm exhausted and not very sociable by night time and prefer to be left alone so I can relax for a change.

TXGolfer, what's your hearing levels again?

My guess is that maybe you hear more than many of us do? Some hearing comprehension combined with lipreading makes it less work. For me, lipreading for 5 minutes doesn't bother me, but lip-reading a staff meeting for 2 hours kills. I won't even do it anymore, they get me an interpreter.

Yeah, I :dunno: my hearing is pretty bad. I am glad you have the option of an interpreter. I definitely think it is up to each individual to decide what works best for them.

TXGolfer - I guess you missed all those stories of us having migraines as kids when we were mainstreamed from the concerted effort to lipread in class at the same time we were learning to speak.

It takes far more energy and effort to lipread people than it does for a hearing person to hear what someone else said. If I spent all day around hearing people and trying to lipread them and they are not enunciating clearly, or mumbling, or have food in their mouth or turning around, or if i'm in a group, figuring out who's speaking turning to look at them, missing half of what they said then figuring out whose voice is responding, turn to look then miss what they said, etc etc etc, then it takes even more labourious effort to understand and mentally piece together all the "heard" words to fill in the blanks where we didn't catch the words. After a day like that, I'm exhausted and not very sociable by night time and prefer to be left alone so I can relax for a change.

I only have one hearing ear.....It's in the 85-95 range. I understand lip reading is more difficult for some. I am merely stating that I personally do not have this difficulty.

Yeah, I :dunno: my hearing is pretty bad. I am glad you have the option of an interpreter. I definitely think it is up to each individual to decide what works best for them.

You have no idea what your hearing levels are? really?

oh never mind, just saw your last post - one good ear huh? ah, no wonder you find lipreading so easy and can't understand why it's hard for others.

Yeah. The more hearing you have, the less tiring lipreading is. There's definitely a correlation there.

You have no idea what your hearing levels are? really?

oh never mind, just saw your last post - one good ear huh? ah, no wonder you find lipreading so easy and can't understand why it's hard for others.

No, maybe that was confusing. The left ear is in the 85-95 range. In the right ear I had a labyrinthectomy.... Zero hearing

You just described my life on a daily basis when I was growing up especially as a teenager and as a young adult before I learned ASL. Just reading that is giving me the headaches I used to end up at the end of the day. Mental exhaustion was a constant issue for me.

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......

I am at loss here, you said you are hearing impaired, no not deaf because with hearing aid to make you hear? Big lie here, I am sorry to say this. Most of my friends who wear hearing aid can hear and talk on the phone but they still are deaf to me because they still not hear 100 percent. I feel bad for your 2 year old child, refuse to give child some signing language. My sister used to be hoh till she got hearing test at school, she failed hearing test then had a surgery to fix her both ears. I never forgot what she told me, she said she was struggled in school and had to sit front of teacher to hear what the teacher said. She was behind in school till she was 12 when she got surgery. She got her hearing back and was shocked what a big different world between with hearing loss and hear 100 percent. Yet you won't let your child to use ASL, I am proud to teach my 2 year old grandson to use ASL and I love it when he signed. sooo darn cute. So sad you are shame of your own deafness.

I only have one hearing ear.....It's in the 85-95 range. I understand lip reading is more difficult for some. I am merely stating that I personally do not have this difficulty.

some? try MOST.

I wonder if you'll still say same that lipreading is not that difficult once your hearing range drops down more. I wonder if you'll still say same to those who can't speak properly (those with chicken lips, rambo lips, heavy mustache, etc.)

some? try MOST.

I wonder if you'll still say same that lipreading is not that difficult once your hearing range drops down more. I wonder if you'll still say same to those who can't speak properly (those with chicken lips, rambo lips, heavy mustache, etc.)

Guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it. *shrug*

hence Post #44.

Why not quote post #44 instead of expecting us to find it? At this point I, for one, do not remember what post 44 said and have no idea how far back I would need to scroll to find it!

Why not quote post #44 instead of expecting us to find it? At this point I, for one, do not remember what post 44 said and have no idea how far back I would need to scroll to find it!

All the post numbers are on the right side of each post. Yours was #75, so that gives you an approximate idea of where #44 would be.

All the post numbers are on the right side of each post. Yours was #75, so that gives you an approximate idea of where #44 would be.

I know where the numbers are but it just seems like common courtesy to post the quote that the person just giving the number obviously knows.

Back