my daughter was diagnosed w/Hearing loss

Seriously don't understand why people thinking listening, talking or reading lips is exhausting. We are all different of course, but I have never found it to be exhausting

You're the only person I've ever seen that doesn't think it is exhausting. Everyone else I've known that is forced to lip read as primary means of communication and doesn't have the benefit of hearing enough to supplement the lip reading finds it exhausting as hell. I have known a few hard of hearing people that were able to hear enough with hearing aids that lip reading for them was supplemental and not primary, and they didn't find it exhausting either, but that doesn't really count. Even with my implants on its still exhausting for me, but with them off it is exponentially worse because I have to work soooooo much harder to lip read without the aid of what little sound I do get from the implants.

You're the only person I've ever seen that doesn't think it is exhausting. Everyone else I've known that is forced to lip read as primary means of communication and doesn't have the benefit of hearing enough to supplement the lip reading finds it exhausting as hell. I have known a few hard of hearing people that were able to hear enough with hearing aids that lip reading for them was supplemental and not primary, and they didn't find it exhausting either, but that doesn't really count. Even with my implants on its still exhausting for me, but with them off it is exponentially worse because I have to work soooooo much harder to lip read without the aid of what little sound I do get from the implants.

Like I said....people are different. It comes naturally to me. It just happens...no trying at all, I don't even realize I am doing it.

Like I said....people are different. It comes naturally to me. It just happens...no trying at all, I don't even realize I am doing it.

you ain't seen nothing yet....

Seriously don't understand why people thinking listening, talking or reading lips is exhausting. We are all different of course, but I have never found it to be exhausting

Maybe that's you dont understand and probably never will.

I have experienced it all of my life so I totally understand what the others are talking about.

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......

It was the opposite for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just curious what is your secret that you dont find it to be exhausting? From what I have been around with people who have hearing losses and always told me how exhausting for them to read everyones lips.

My 2 year old just took the sedated abre test.They said she can hear whispers but higher frequency sounds she has trouble hearing and therefore can't talk that well.She is going to need 2 hearing aids and speech therapy.I am 25 and I myself am hearing impaired.no, not deaf, because with hearing aids, I can hear.Im curious to see if anyone else has a high frequency hearing loss?....

I won't be doing ASL with her.No offense to the deaf culture,but I had speech for 6 years and now you can't even tell there is a problem with me bc I speak so well.

IMO,using speech is more helpful in the real world,from my experience hanging out with deaf friends in the past......
why would you keep your child in the dark life is hard ,without sign she needs to be part of the deaf culture give a choice...to be free...its not your choice its hers read my post ..and you will see its not easy like you say...

Glad you find my personal experience comical. :)

personal experience? this reminds me of scene from Crocodile Dundee.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4]Is That a Knife - YouTube[/ame]

I'm sure you're able to understand what's being said in this video since your lipreading skill is exemplary.

Maybe that's you dont understand and probably never will.

I have experienced it all of my life so I totally understand what the others are talking about.

Yeah like I said people are different.

Yeah like I said people are different.

I haven't seen anybody else except you who said lipreading is not that exhausting. of course it won't be that exhausting if you can hear pretty well enough to augment lipreading skill.

Just curious what is your secret that you dont find it to be exhausting? From what I have been around with people who have hearing losses and always told me how exhausting for them to read everyones lips.

I don't know the secret..... wish I did. I just don't find it difficult.

Were you staring at peoples lips or listening. if you listen to their voices then it can't be exhausting. If looking at someone elses lips is totally exhausting. sometimes i can read others lips but my eyes get sore! :shock:

Were you staring at peoples lips or listening. if you listen to their voices then it can't be exhausting. If looking at someone elses lips is totally exhausting. sometimes i can read others lips but my eyes get sore! :shock:

Watching people's lips. Too me it is much easier to watch someone's lips than to watch there hands moving. But that's just me. Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with. There is no right or wrong/better or worse....just preference.

My guess is that maybe you hear more than many of us do? Some hearing comprehension combined with lipreading makes it less work. For me, lipreading for 5 minutes doesn't bother me, but lip-reading a staff meeting for 2 hours kills. I won't even do it anymore, they get me an interpreter.

Watching people's lips. Too me it is much easier to watch someone's lips than to watch there hands moving. But that's just me. Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with. There is no right or wrong/better or worse....just preference.

you still don't get it.

you are augmenting your hearing loss with lipreading but you still can hear good enough to communicate... meaning you still rely more on listening than lipreading. and it's opposite for deaf people with severe hearing loss.

like I said - you ain't seen nothing yet. preference? don't be silly. everybody's got difference a preference for certain size and color of CC but lipreading and signing is not exactly a "preference". It's a matter of better or worse way to communicate.

apparently - signing is worse way to communicate with for you and that's fine with me if you prefer to talk than sign.

Back