Mental issue due to play GTA game?

I disagree with your statement on violent games. The game developers and game publishers worked hard to develop the rating system that ensure parent to be informed about how violent is game, also ESRB restructured the rating to make more visible. Many retail stores already banned to sell the mature games to under 17 years old. ESRB is one of most effective rating system, far better than MPAA rating (film).

The problem is poor treatment/lack of access for mental illness and some people with mental illness don't understand about how real is films/games. Other problem about some parents are unable to read due to poor education during their childhood in many years ago, more than 30 years ago before more states make graduation exam as mandatory to receive the HS degree. There is plenty of education about video games in many stores and Gamestop employees know about whichever games are violent or not.

The ratings system is obviously failing and sadly people are dying because of that. And women are being degraded because of that. Besides, if video games were so harmless, why would they need a ratings system in the first place?

It is pretty scary to think the fate modern society is in the hands of a GameStop employee.

I disagree with you and you cut some of my quote out, so there is no point to argue about ridiculous agenda again.

The rating system that used in games and films help parents to have an informed choice, so it will tell about any violence involved.

The degrade of women aren't only problem in video game, also it does involve with film as well. It is usually cultural and society of our country.

Last, like I said - good luck to you.

I'm going take someone's advice to not feed troll and that will be my last argument above. I'm not interested to discuss that lack of sense and lack of understanding about video game.

I have strong sense about whichever game is violent or not violent, also there is many types of violence, such as real world, fantasy, cartoon, etc. Mickey Epic is fantasy violence and GTA is real world violence. Some of violences are heavily involved with story progression.

So art is creating reality instead of reality creating art? I think not.

Same here, I don't think so.

It is just like violent comic books went majority issue in 1950's but not much anymore.

I disagree with you and you cut some of my quote out, so there is no point to argue about ridiculous agenda again.

That's cool. We can agree to disagree. In my last post to you I quoted the part I was responding to in order to avoid confusion. I do this often.

The rating system that used in games and films help parents to have an informed choice, so it will tell about any violence involved.

Sadly that ratings system is failing.

The degrade of women aren't only problem in video game, also it does involve with film as well. It is usually cultural and society of our country.

Last, like I said - good luck to you.

Sadly the degradation of women is prevalent in many of the arts. Hopefully we can change that someday and people will stop supporting that degradation.

Good luck to you as well. :)

When I say good luck - that's refer to people want to change the law or having national campaign about violent games. I know it is impossible because art is protected under freedom of speech and legislators use technique against on video game as excuse to score their rating - they have done to comic and film for many years before game evolved in 1970's. That's not reality when come in legislator's mind to pass the law to regulate on art. There were some national campaign that covered on film and comic went small or unsuccessful.

It is very difficult for mental illness to stay away from guns and video game, for me as regular citizen, I can't stop them but only could report to law enforcement about suspicious activity and I can execute my self defense if my life is in danger.

The event mentioned in OP has occurred pretty close to my home and work and I'm surprised it happened. Unfortunately, media choose to blame on video game for this car-hijack/shooting spree. I have never played GTA (not kind of my cup of tea), but I have played lot of first person shooting - never at once I have ever feel like going out and shoot at people.

The event mentioned in OP has occurred pretty close to my home and work and I'm surprised it happened. Unfortunately, media choose to blame on video game for this car-hijack/shooting spree. I have never played GTA (not kind of my cup of tea), but I have played lot of first person shooting - never at once I have ever feel like going out and shoot at people.

The person who did this may not have felt that way in the past either. :dunno:

Yup, but that's you. The debate has some questions and merit to it. It's arguing about if people can be affected by video games and take them into reality. I would say it is possible, especially for mentally ill people. There are no laws that prohibit the mentally unstable from staying home and playing a video game like GTA.

Do you remember Columbine, Virginia Tech, and Oslo, Norway?
I think those were all cases of someone who is mentally unstable or depressed. They played games for their escape from reality and result may have influenced their actions to the world around them.

Yup, but that's you. The debate has some questions and merit to it. It's arguing about if people can be affected by video games and take them into reality. I would say it is possible, especially for mentally ill people. There are no laws that prohibit the mentally unstable from staying home and playing a video game like GTA.

I think those were all cases of someone who is mentally unstable or depressed. They played games for their escape from reality and result may have influenced their actions to the world around them.

Same for Sandy Hook and Aurora. Both were into violent games.

Incorrect, Aurora incident - not related to violent game, just film only.

James Holmes did play nonviolent games only, that it.

Yes, I played GTA for years and I never feel like going out and shoot at people.

Those situation is usual for mental illness who haven't seeking any help and the word - "mental illness" is important key than violent game. The mental health service in US is getting worse, based on my experience with treatment for PTSD, OCD and anxiety.

It would appear that it is, sadly.

Are you saying there were no carjackings, murders or prostitution before there were video games? Are you further stating the writers such as Homer dictated the brutality of man rather than recorded it? Throughout time art has been a mirror to nature from the first cave drawing.

Are you saying there were no carjackings, murders or prostitution before there were video games? Are you further stating the writers such as Homer dictated the brutality of man rather than recorded it? Throughout time art has been a mirror to nature from the first cave drawing.

The carjacking, murder and prostitution does exist before film came in 1920's and video game in 1970's-1980's.

In old time, video game was mostly arcade like Pacman, Space Invaders and Ping Pong. The violent game based on real life didn't exist until 1990's.

Incorrect, Aurora incident - not related to violent game, just film only.

James Holmes did play nonviolent games only, that it.

Like the Norwegian killer Anders Breivik, Holmes was a devotee of violent computer games, particularly the hugely popular fantasy game World of Warcraft, which could only have strengthened his detachment from the real world.

Read more: James Holmes: How did a painfully shy straight-A student become America's most hated killer? | Mail Online

Well, World of Warcraft is RPG that only contain fantasy violence, that's not same as GTA game.

Still, James Holmes case is very strictly to Batman film.

The carjacking, murder and prostitution does exist before film came in 1920's and video game in 1970's-1980's.

In old time, video game was mostly arcade like Pacman, Space Invaders and Ping Pong. The violent game based on real life didn't exist until 1990's.

Does the destruction of a spaceship, be it some imaginary ship or the shuttle Challenger not mean the ship and all inhabitants are dead, in a literal sense? Whether imaginative or real, those games only mirror what humans already know, death is real.

Video games are really only interactive literature. If you argue all literature is bad then there would be no books. I can think of a few books that I think should be banned, but that wouldn't solve the problem. The solution is not censorship, it is counter literature.

If we write games to counter other games then there would be balance.

If I remember correct - Columbine was blamed on Matrix movie because the way they dressed up just similar what Neo wore when Neo entered a building with lot of weapons in overcoat. But the point is media would rather blame on video game, movie, etc... other than person's mental unstabled itself.

Back