Mcdonald's Customer Accused Of Putting Soda In Water Cup Charged With Robbery

rockin'robin

Reaction score
A McDonald's customer in Arkansas accused of emptying his cup of water and filling it with soda now faces a robbery charge, police said Tuesday.

The restaurant manager said the suspect was one of three people who asked for water at the drive-thru window in Springdale. The customers parked and walked into the store before dumping out the water and pouring soda into the cups, KHBS/KHOG-TV reports.

The manager spotted the three and told them to return the soda. Only 18-year-old Cody Morris refused, police say.

The manager even ran out and tried to block Morris' car from leaving, but the suspect reportedly drove his vehicle in reverse and hit the worker twice before speeding away.

Police arrested the driver after they said they found his car at a nearby bowling alley. It's unclear whether he'll face any additional charges aside from felony robbery.

Springdale is roughly 8 miles north of Fayetteville.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/2...g-soda-in-water-cup-charged-with-robbery.html

Soda addict?....LOL...People do that all the time...savings their cups in their cars...walking in and refilling the cups and walking back out.....

Wow I can't believe that is a thing. Pretty soon they may just lock it or take those self serve soda machines out.
I hope he does get charged though for hitting the worker- article didn't say if the manager was injured or not...

Check the price of sodas at any fast food place...cost a lot more. But, most do allow "refills".....(if you're eating inside)...

How is stealing coke a felony?
OK hitting the worker I see, but not the coke...

How is stealing coke a felony?
OK hitting the worker I see, but not the coke...

I guess it is now a felony or escalated to a felony because the perp used force to evade being stopped.......shoulda paid the 1.79 or however much it would have cost....

I've got to guess that the owner of the McDonalds or the corporate office is going to have a talk with the idiotic store manager who put their life in jeopardy for less than 4 cents of soda. The charge is wrong, it should of been petty theft and then possible felony hit and run. I've seen people walk out with items from Home Depot without paying for them and all the employees do is watch them leave, they are instructed to not confront them. Perhaps McDonalds should do the same.

I've got to guess that the owner of the McDonalds or the corporate office is going to have a talk with the idiotic store manager who put their life in jeopardy for less than 4 cents of soda. The charge is wrong, it should of been petty theft and then possible felony hit and run. I've seen people walk out with items from Home Depot without paying for them and all the employees do is watch them leave, they are instructed to not confront them. Perhaps McDonalds should do the same.
I know Wal Mart would go after a shoplifter , I heard of someone going to jail for 4 weeks b/c they couldn't pay the fine it was so high .

How silly. Overcrowding our jails over a cup of soda.

But, the thief wasn't right to do what he did, either.

If it's his first offense he'd probably get a slap on the wrist but because he hit the manager-- twice- that will probably grow to something like a year in jail who knows.

No idea what McDonald's policy is.. sounds like they don't have one for that kind of situation. I can see for armed robbery or being held up at the till.

Dumbass 18 year old... Sure it's probably not worth 'doing anything' for whatever amount of cost of the soda people are quoting (15 cents, 4 cents whatever) but I am still not a fan of people trying to cheat the system or sneaking shit like that...that's why prices do go up (or part of the reason why). So... people think it's okay and hand wave it off...

But that's my lil opinion...:)

He walked in and took something he wanted. Not even something he needed and then hit the worker twice with his car after refusing to return what he took. Sounds like felony robbery to me. I have no sympathy for unremorseful thugs.

Wonder how u that soda costs?
Wonder how much charging his guy for robbery and all the rest will cost society
Mmmmm
Yeah
Makes sense

Sure

We know soda costs money and if more people use water cup (free for water) but uses soda instead, company loses money when they have to buy more soda to refill. No one wants to lose money when someone takes advantage without paying.

As for "robbery"... there should be an assault with deadly weapon (using car to hit 2 employees). They should consider restitution to McDonald for the loss of money on soda with the water cup.

I find it strange he wasn't charged for the hitting the people with his vehicle which iny eyes is a far more serious offence then soda swapping
Weird

He might be.. or maybe that's why it's "Felony robbery" a step up from "robbery". Assault in the commission of said robbery (for however little he stole..)

I don't think it was about money or soda at all, it was a matter of principle. or principles, in this case.
One does not just take whatever one does without paying for it if it's not free,
and one does not just ignore an authority (in this case, a McDonald worker).
Only, I suspect, the ego of the worker took this way too far ("what!!?? he dares to defy me??!!") - as he already did his job by calling the thief and demanding to return the soda or to pay for it. Once the thief started running away, the worker should have stopped right then and there, instead asking his companion for thief's name and address - to possibly be later arrested.
To risk being run over to death over such mundane crime was stupid and unnecessary.

Fuzzy

That's if his companions were still there. Likely they took off with him (it's not mentioned in the story where they were or I missed that part). But yeah surprised he didn't just call the police. But then I'm not going to armchair quarterback to death not know how the manager was reacting or what he was thinking at that very moment. Maybe reacted out of instinct...who knows- doubt it was "the ego of the worker took this way too far ("what!!?? he dares to defy me??!!")".

I saw the overweight lady carry 3 super-size into the fast food and asked the cashier to refill soda and replace the cap and leave. I realize, she actual keep same foam cups from past and paid nothing on other day. I felt bad that they're being "rob" over soda. So, I leave the note to one of staff to give to their supervisor to aware about it.

The court should made the person pay for the court time too this might made people stop trying to steal soda .

Back