Man, 90, facing jail time for feeding homeless people

well, here its agaisnt the law to serve food unless your licensed (due to possible food poisoning ) laws are laws... make em, break em and pay for em.

well, here its agaisnt the law to serve food unless your licensed (due to possible food poisoning ) laws are laws... make em, break em and pay for em.
Oh, I didn't think about food poisoning. That's a good reason.

Oh, I didn't think about food poisoning. That's a good reason.
Yep, schools wont allow foods for parties or bake sales...ect.... unless its sealed/store bought now... kinda sucks and beats the porpose of calling it a bake sale huh...lol

Foods for events must be supplied by the school or catered.

The story said about nothing that being the reason , I am not saying you're wrong .. I thought of giving some food to some homeless men and decided I better not , I had no idea if they had any food allergies and if they got sick I could be in trouble . I find it odd that cop did not say how the city are going to help the homeless people. I think the old man should get a warning and let him go back home. it's insane putting a 90 yo man in jail , the stress could kill him. The cop said : “I’m not satisfied with having a cycle of homeless in the city of Fort Lauderdale,” Seiler said. “Providing them with a meal and keeping them in that cycle on the street is not productive.”

And putting a 90 yo man in jail is productive ???

And putting a 90 yo man in jail is productive ???
Although i agree that it is pretty useless at this point for the man himself.
But if they let him go, what's the limitation? would they let an 80 year old man go? 70? 60? etc.

In this case, it doesn't matter either way cuz the 90 yr old said he'd be continuing.........

Although i agree that it is pretty useless at this point for the man himself.
But if they let him go, what's the limitation? would they let an 80 year old man go? 70? 60? etc.

The punishment does not fit the crime , there should be no jail for this. It's totally insane to use taxpayers money to feed people and pay for their medical bills while in jail when the person has the means to do this themselves . That money should be used to help the homeless people get back on their feet. People are not using any common sense here ,our jails are already overcrowded and they're going to throw people in jails for feeding homeless people . That is just insane.

The 90 year old has a history of violating these kinds of laws and they know he will keep on doing this.....breaking health laws. He needs to find some other way of serving the homeless of his community.

If this has to be an offense at all, the penalty should be community service (which he's doing anyway), and not jail time. He wasn't doing anything threatening or violent, and jails are overcrowded.

However, this whole thing evades the real problem, and that's urban homelessness. The city needs to address the root problem and get the homeless people into homes, shelters, or hospitals, where they will also be fed. People living on the streets is not a good environment for anyone.

It's not healthy or safe for the homeless people, and it's not healthy or safe for the residents.

The 90 year old has a history of violating these kinds of laws and they know he will keep on doing this.....breaking health laws. He needs to find some other way of serving the homeless of his community.
Yes, there are shelters and volunteer agencies that he could work with.

I agree and the city needs to find a better way to help the homeless people. A lot of them have mental illnesses and something to be done to made sure what happen to some Park Rangers in my state does not happen again. Two PR were attacked by a homeless man that mentally ill . I was at the park once and a drunk homeless people came up to me in a threaten , I should had gone right to the police station , I called when I got home.

If this has to be an offense at all, the penalty should be community service (which he's doing anyway), and not jail time. He wasn't doing anything threatening or violent, and jails are overcrowded.

However, this whole thing evades the real problem, and that's urban homelessness. The city needs to address the root problem and get the homeless people into homes, shelters, or hospitals, where they will also be fed. People living on the streets is not a good environment for anyone.

It's not healthy or safe for the homeless people, and it's not healthy or safe for the residents.
Do you think it's worse than before (more homelessness)? I think so because the economy is still bad. I never forget about the black family who died (murder/suicide) several years ago because the parents who lost their jobs didn't want to become the homeless. Sad.

Oh, the other way to feed a homeless is to ask if s/he is hungry and if so, take the homeless to a nearby restaurant (either a fast food or diner or some place like Denny's) and pay the bill (can eat with the homeless or leave him/her alone afterwards). That's not so hard, right?

economy is not bad, it just working for the very rich, its they changed rules to everyone else pays , in other words, they turned us upside down to shake all the money out of our pockets!!, they didn't need to, it was out of pure greed......
besides no body should go to jail for kindness......utter stupid that

Do you think it's worse than before (more homelessness)? I think so because the economy is still bad. I never forget about the black family who died (murder/suicide) several years ago because the parents who lost their jobs didn't want to become the homeless. Sad.

Oh, the other way to feed a homeless is to ask if s/he is hungry and if so, take the homeless to a nearby restaurant (either a fast food or diner or some place like Denny's) and pay the bill (can eat with the homeless or leave him/her alone afterwards). That's not so hard, right?

A lot of mentally ill people been dumped on the street and end up homeless this added to the number of homeless people. I saw a homeless man holding a sign saying he was hungry so I went to sub shop to buy him a sub and told the owner I wanted him to throw together a sub for the homeless man. The guy told me that he made a sub for same homeless man and he threw it away. He wanted the money to buy booze . So I said the hell with it , I was not going buy a sub and have it throw away. I was told by the Salvation Army
not to give any homeless man a ride in my car ,it was too dangerous for a woman . I called Salvation Army to try and get some help for a homeless man that had an bad infection on his foot and leg . I also called the health department b/c it looked like the guy had MRSA . The guy end up losing his foot, someone found him lying on the ground in winter. I tried so hard to get someone to get the guy to a doctor .

A lot of mentally ill people been dumped on the street and end up homeless this added to the number of homeless people. I saw a homeless man holding a sign saying he was hungry so I went to sub shop to buy him a sub and told the owner I wanted him to throw together a sub for the homeless man. The guy told me that he made a sub for same homeless man and he threw it away. He wanted the money to buy booze . So I said the hell with it , I was not going buy a sub and have it throw away. I was told by the Salvation Army
not to give any homeless man a ride in my car ,it was too dangerous for a woman . I called Salvation Army to try and get some help for a homeless man that had an bad infection on his foot and leg . I also called the health department b/c it looked like the guy had MRSA . The guy end up losing his foot, someone found him lying on the ground in winter. I tried so hard to get someone to get the guy to a doctor .
Remember one cop bought a pair of brand new boots for the homeless? For a few days he was not seen until one day people saw him back on the street but he didn't wear new boots. Also reporters found out that he has a home so he's not homeless but acts like one. Whatever happened to new boots? Probably sold them for booze?

Remember one cop bought a pair of brand new boots for the homeless? For a few days he was not seen until one day people saw him back on the street but he didn't wear new boots. Also reporters found out that he has a home so he's not homeless but acts like one. Whatever happened to new boots? Probably sold them for booze?

He did sell the boots I gave a homeless man my umbrella , he was out in the pouring rain and the next time I saw the guy he did not have the umbrella . he could had traded it some drink of booze. This is the homeless man that lost his foot. He had his pants leg rolled up and he had huge red wound on it that looked infected .

Utter ridiculousness is all I gotta say. What a sad world we live in being nice to someone then get in trouble for it.

Was he preparing the food or taking food from restaurants and pre-packaged things? I got in trouble in San Francisco a few time for passing out McDonalds and Del Taco stuff. I would also pass out protein bars and soft granola bars (many homeless don't have good enough teeth for crunchy granola bars). One time I picked up a bunch of fruit at the farmer's market, but the homeless didn't want it. Lol.

I law that prevents people from helping, sucks. Though, the law is a little more if the giver is preparing the food. The portal potty requirement makes it pretty obvious that the city is attacking the homeless.

I live 15 mins away from where this is going on. The city of Ft.Lauderdale is getting a bad rap for it, so the police are saying...."we have no prob with feeding the homeless, but we want it to be done in a sanitary manner"
That is the bottom line of the statement. I find it utter BS. Who is going to enforce sanitation among the homeless, or anyone for all that mattters? They want hand washing facilities avail and proper restrooms & for it to be done in food prep proper manner (temperature, indoors rather than outdoors, refrigeration, etc)
The 90yo man is refusing to stop his practice of feeding the homeless and i havent heard anything lately bout it.

Back