Magnet toy leads to 2-year-old boy's death

Opal

Reaction score
http://www.katu.com/stories/81908.html

By Michelle Esteban
KOMO News
REDMOND, Wash. - A freak accident involving a popular toy has killed a 2-year-old boy and now, Kenny Sweet's parents hope that other parents can learn from their tragedy.

It was Thanksgiving Day when Kenny was rushed to Kirkland's Evergreen Medical Center emergency room with what his mom thought was the stomach flu. But five minutes later, Kenny had died.

"I heard 'code blue' and I was hysterical at that point," Penny Sweet said. "I thought maybe if we all could pray at the same time that we could pull him out, but no amount of prayers or people could save him at that point."

The King County Medical Examiner's report blames his death on a toy. The autopsy found tiny magnets, smaller than the eraser on a pencil, in Kenny's intestine.

The magnets were encased in plastic building blocks toys that Penny's 10-year-old son had been playing with. Penny says some of the magnets fell out, and Kenny apparently found them in the carpet and swallowed them.

"It's very dangerous. Who can police this?" asks Kenny's mother.

Doctors found the magnets in Kenny's small intestine - one at the top and one at the bottom. The magnetic force was so great it connected both ends, twisting his intestine and forcing deadly bacteria into his blood stream.

"It does say there is a choking hazard on here," Penny Sweet said. "Unfortunately, they don't say it causes serious injury or death, which is the kind warning they need to have on here."

Dr. Terry Woodward, Children's Hospital Chief of Emergency Medicine, is not connected with Kenny's case, but he explained what happens when the intestine is twisted: "As it twists farther, you lose blood supply to the intestine. Once you lose blood supply, then it starts to die."

Mega Bloks, based in Montreal, manufactures the toy. It's one in a series called Magnetix.

A spokesperson for the company said that in nearly 70 years in the toy business, this is the first death resulting from one of their toys. The spokesman said the Magnetix toys are still on the shelf, but Mega Bloks is investigating.

With Christmas just days away the Sweets didn't want to wait for the company's findings, they want to warn other parents immediately.

Mega Bloks reported Kenny Sweet's death to The Consumer Product Safety Commission. The commission confirmed for KOMO 4 News it does have an "open investigation."

Mega Bloks says it's up to the commission to decide if the toy should be pulled off toy shelves.

In October, Toy Wishes, a self-described family entertainment guide, named the Magnetix as one of the top 12 toys for Christmas this year.

[img=http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/8289/magnettoy7ih.th.jpg]

Last edited:
Old news, I've read that news few days ago. This is the first accident of that kind in that toy manufacterer's history. That kind of accident never happened before, choking hazards yeah...but not that! That was really unusual.

Really, its new to me since I don't received American news in my TV/newspapers as I got it email from my american friend today!

I bought this toy for my then 10 years old daughter last year!!

Oh my gosh, my 6 years old has one from Christmas, and I'll get rid of it, so that way it doesn't happen to any of my children...

Thank you so very much for posting this Tamara, I wasn't aware that this toy can kill a child.... :ugh:

I'm also sad that this had happened to her child, no parents want to go thru something like this....May he rest in peace :(

Oh my! I hope nothing will happen to any kids.. Thanks, so that I wont purchase any of toys like that for my son..

That's awful. I feel for the family and their loss! Losing a child is never easy.

One interesting thing: the article says the victim is a two-year old boy. The box in the picture above says "Contains small balls and small parts. Not for children under three years."

yeah i saw local news where i m living in WA and i got rid of magnets for my younger daughter will turn 2 tomorrow, xmas and happy birthday same day :)

That so sad. Yea I got only child in this house but if you have more than one child. Gotta consider the younger child too when purchased something for the older child. I know it is hard to do that.

I ALMOST bought that toy but nah. I'll wait after Christmas..till my friend sent me the Email on that. I said FORGET IT! I am not getting it! Not till my son learn to pick up his toys and keep floor clean...maybe he can get it. But not right now...

It is so sad! RIP sweet boy

I didn't know about this until I read this thread. Thank you, Tamara, for posting it. I will now know not to buy that toy for my kids. It is so sad to read about how that 2 year old boy had died.

I feel sad for the family of 2 years old boy... :( He doesn´t deserve it...

keep in mind that while its tragic for a 2 year old boy and his family for him to be dying so early in life. Not buying the toy will not help bring him back.

Parents should still be able to buy that toy for their older kids, as long the parents has the responsibility to make sure that the kids knows not to swallow them, or make sure the older kids keep floor and surfaces clear of those toys out of reach for the younger kids.

While its sad about the short live he had, parents should have responsibilities to make sure that everything is out of reach so this little boy will be safe.

darkangel8603 said:
keep in mind that while its tragic for a 2 year old boy and his family for him to be dying so early in life. Not buying the toy will not help bring him back.

Parents should still be able to buy that toy for their older kids, as long the parents has the responsibility to make sure that the kids knows not to swallow them, or make sure the older kids keep floor and surfaces clear of those toys out of reach for the younger kids.

While its sad about the short live he had, parents should have responsibilities to make sure that everything is out of reach so this little boy will be safe.

I agreed.. thats why I have older kids to take their small things in their rooms or up above.. from our smaller kids.. (3 and 1 year old)..

I was like.. its not boy's fault.. somebody should take away the toy or in other room from the small kids..

its sadly to see things happen..

Well, if you look carefully...

The kid that died was 2 years old.

Those toys are not for those who are under 3 years of age.

That's like giving a gun to a person with a history of shooting people.

If it was me, I wouldn't get those for my kids at that age.

I have Magnetix and enjoy playing with them. However, the magnets are very small and strong... so I definitely wouldn't let my 1-year-old nephew near them!

:ty: for bringing that to our attention Tamara, :gpost: to help us become more attentive to the little things in toys that could cause such an awful tragedy as this family is going through right now. Little children are so curious, and whatever they see, they're going to pick up and put in their mouths.
I feel so sorry for this family to have to go through such pain and suffering, to lose a son, and to lose a little brother has to be the hardest thing for them to go through. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

that's so sad! Hard to lose a child in the family. Wow interesting that magents can be hurts the intestine. its new to me. its awful!

oh my...how terrible....I guess we need to remmy refridgerator mags too. How sad

Back