Machu Picchu! Mucho rain...

xsuperchick

Reaction score
:( This is very bad for my country.

Machu Picchu & Cusco disaster.. news & thoughts

Wednesday, 27 January 2010 10:05 | Written by Paul Argyle

Whilst most of the world's media has been focused on the terrible scenes in Haiti, a much smaller but equally tragic weather-driven disaster has been unfolding in one of the most spectacular global tourism destinations. Torrential rain causing fatal mudslides have closed the ancient ruins at Machu Picchu, affected the nearby site at Aguas Caliente and have resulted in deaths in the beautiful Inca city of Cusco.

Today, reports say, that despite the use of helicopters to rescue stranded tourists, over 2500 remain trapped at the site of the ruins,: another 2000 in Agua Calientes and possibly up to 700 on the world famous Inca Trail, which winds through the mountains to Machu Picchu.

Machu Picchu is one of the most popular destinations for tourists in Latin America, attracting more than 400,000 visitors a year. The 15th-century Inca fortress is located on a high mountain ridge 70 kilometers (40 miles) from Cusco. A railway that transports tourists to the site was covered by a mudslide.

The local Government of Cusco has declared a 60-day state of emergency after seeing two bridges collapse and 250 houses destroyed.

Walking the Inca Trail and visiting Cusco was one of my "must do before I die" and I'll never forget the unique charm and calm of both the ruins and the city. Our thoughts are currently with the trapped and the rescuers in their efforts to restore some peace to this wonderful place.

Heavy rain hampers Machu Picchu rescue - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Machu Picchu & Cusco disaster.. news & thoughts | alternativeairlines.com

We're all helping our people from the South with shelter, medicine and food.

:(

I hope they're able to save everyone and preserve the sites. That would be a terrible blow for not only your country but the entire world if the ruins are destroyed.

yeah, but we're hoping and praying for the Incas to save it and save the people there too!

One of the seven wonder and the government isn't doing too much =/

Hope it turns out allright there.
It was in our papers because there was a dozen Irish people
that had to be airlifted out.

Back