Just joined

Irish5

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I joined this site today and look forward to discussions and information regarding deaf life. I am newly deaf. I started to lose my hearing about 6 years ago and am just about finished with that project! :laugh2:

I'm have been learning sign language and am due to receive a hearing dog next month. I've visited this site before and know that many of you do not think hearing dogs are worth the trouble. I think those born Deaf and those that acquire deafness in adulthood probably have differing opinions on this.

Looking forward to talking,
Irish5

HELLo! Welcome to Ad
theres lots of other aders just like you (newly deaf) so you'll have lots of ppl to talk to ,,,plus we're really chatty :P

Hi Everyone,

I'm have been learning sign language and am due to receive a hearing dog next month. I've visited this site before and know that many of you do not think hearing dogs are worth the trouble. I think those born Deaf and those that acquire deafness in adulthood probably have differing opinions on this.

Irish5

The phrase "different strokes for different folks" comes to my mind when reading that. I do agree with you. If you have never had something, or had it for a short time, you can't miss it as much as the person that has had it for a very long time.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Now that you are late deafen, you will learn a lot about your hearing loss or deafness from us. You will know why it is impossible to regain your normal hearing. There is no cure. Many doctors, audiologists and other professionals like AGBell (Alexander Graham Bell) who have been trying to get us to use lipreading instead of American Sign Language (ASL) which is very important to us as it is a visual sign language much better than lipreading. Also they have tried getting us getting better hearing aids which is not working for us and now try to add CIs (Cochlear Implants) to make us hear much better than hearing aid, but still it has some drawback on it. They have tried to ban us using the ASL for many years. We are suppose to do the lipreading instead of ASL but we get frustrated because we have difficult time understanding what hearing people say and it is not working very well with lipreading. Anyway, you will find lots of posts to choose from and I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

i dont know much about hearing dogs but i do know about learning asl. iv been hoh all my life but iv also been deaf at times,i regained part of my hearing through surgery.(had lots of deaf days then hearing days.somtimes id go to sleep and not know how id wake up) one day i'll probobly be deaf so im learning asl you know prepairing for the future. good luck i know it can be fustrating but with family and friends you'll be fine.

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Hope this forum will help you in many ways and enjoy being with us. :)

Back