Jury Duty

interesting I personally would not want to be excused unless it is gory stuff, I hate the idea of disminsg due to being deaf, ok my sign sucks majorly but still.

I would not want myself on a jury for myself! It would not be fair the person on trial if did I jury duty! The court does not want me to jury duty, I could a cause a mistrial by not being able to hear or understand what being said!

I would not want myself on a jury for myself! It would not be fair the person on trial if did I jury duty! The court does not want me to jury duty, I could a cause a mistrial by not being able to hear or understand what being said!

I always have an ASL interpreter. I jump at the chance to sit on a jury. I think you are missing out on a big part of the legal system. I encourage you to reconsider. With a good interpreter, there is no reason you cannot be a full participant to the Jury process.

It just gets more weird.

Do all the jurors' letters say that their spouses must accompany them to court? What about single people--do they have to bring a parent or sibling?

Sorry about all the questions but this just boggles my mind. I never heard of providing your own juror substitute, so the whole thing is interesting to me.

I agree, I never heard of this before , what if your not married and all of your family live in another state, I hope the court does not expect a person to spend money to fly out ! I am not moving to that state!

I agree, I never heard of this before , what if your not married and all of your family live in another state, I hope the court does not expect a person to spend money to fly out ! I am not moving to that state!

I think there is some confusion... the Jury questionnaire will ask about family and spouse and children, work for each and personal questions. I doubt the spouse would be permitted to sit in place of the person called to serve. They always call a large enough pool to make sure they have enough left after the lawyers have eliminated their quota. (Lawyers are only allowed to dismiss a small number of Jury members without reason, then they have a limited number they can eliminate with a reason, once those are exhausted, they must accept the remainder). There are differences from state to state though. You could do an internet search on jury selection process for any state you are interested in.

I always have an ASL interpreter. I jump at the chance to sit on a jury. I think you are missing out on a big part of the legal system. I encourage you to reconsider. With a good interpreter, there is no reason you cannot be a full participant to the Jury process.

I do not know how to read ASL , I have said this a number of times. If I had perfect hearing I would do jury duty and I would want to watch the person speaking to read their body language, and not being reading an ASL interpreter. People body language can sometime tell you a lot.

CART solves the problem for a deaf person who doesnt know ASL.

I can't believe this. For 13 years in Missouri I was never ever called for jury duty and here I'm back in Florida and within 7 months I called up.

My question is this. I haven't called them yet, but obviously I can't hear (being total deaf) and I haven't learned ASL so an interpreter won't help, how are they going to have me sit for jury duty?

Tell them exactly what you said above.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize this was an old thread.

I do not know how to read ASL , I have said this a number of times. If I had perfect hearing I would do jury duty and I would want to watch the person speaking to read their body language, and not being reading an ASL interpreter. People body language can sometime tell you a lot.

Oh, I agree with you. I am not trying to judge you. I honestly cannot remember why has good ASL, who is just learning, who never used ASL. If you do want to serve, just let them know what accommodations you require and take it from there. Sometimes the can work with you and sometimes they cannot. More and More court systems are providing a wider array of accommodations.

Being an old thread-that the dead can be called for jury duty-does that include those cremated?
Need another bump!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Well - about 5 years after my father died (he was cremated and scattered at sea) we got a jury summons for him. My mother had to appear before the judge with a copy of his birth certificate, his death certificate, the newspaper obituary for him and a sworn notarized statement from each of the hospital, EMT's and the doctor, that yes, my father is in fact deceased. They still were not satisfied and so we got the funeral home to come in and they showed a picture of my father's face on the table before cremating him and my mother then had to show the judge his driver's license to prove that it was the same person.

Then, last week, we got another summons for him to appear for jury duty (he died in 1991). I went to the court house and stated what happened in 1996 and they checked their records and agreed. He is now removed from the roster for jury duty.

Back