Job Interviews: Do you Mention Deafness?

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I've decided I'm going to see if I can find an IT job out of state before getting a degree.

And I have a feeling many of these jobs will want me to do telephone work, which I do not do well with. I can talk to my parents on the phone with some difficulty, but in a business environment, I can't understand people well enough on the phone.

I have never mentioned my deafness to any employer, ever.

Should I mention it this time?

When? When I apply, at the time of interviews, or after I've received a job offer?

Do you think employers discriminate against deaf people this way?

One person I know told me that deaf people are more likely to be hired because employers get tax credits for hiring "disabled". I don't really know.

I wouldn't know. I worked my way up on the inside and never had a formal interview where I didn't know the hiring representative. I guess if it doesn't affect how you do your job, then deafness is not important to mention. If they mention the phone system, then that's the appropriate time to tell them where you stand and make sure it doesn't steer them away from you. I wouldn't disclose any errs after getting a job offer, then it would be awkward for them to be unable to retract their offer thus trying to find your flaws to terminate you. I reckon the best time would be during an interview or never. "It's now or never." Oh, yes, employers more likely won't discriminate but they do have opinions. Businesses are operated by humans. If they can get a tax credit for hiring a person with disabilities and there's someone disabled already there, then do you think you're royally screwed? Well. Emphasize that you're good at what you do and can contribute to their department. Blah. Blah. You know what to do, you ain't stoopid. No need to ramble on... I'm going to watch this thread. Good topic, DeafBadger.

Well, I've decided I'm going to see if I can find an IT job out of state before getting a degree.

And I have a feeling many of these jobs will want me to do telephone work, which I do not do well with. I can talk to my parents on the phone with some difficulty, but in a business environment, I can't understand people well enough on the phone.

When? When I apply, at the time of interviews, or after I've received a job offer?

One person I know told me that deaf people are more likely to be hired because employers get tax credits for hiring "disabled". I don't really know.

With many years of my job, Deafbadger..yes you should tell that you have deafness. There are many technology out there in IT dept have many way to communicates, via IM, Helpdesk system and e-mail. As far as hiring disability do get tax credits. That including you but it's depending on the size of the company.

So, it's important to be told and upfront about yourself, honesty is the security of the company.

With many years of my job, Deafbadger..yes you should tell that you have deafness. There are many technology out there in IT dept have many way to communicates, via IM, Helpdesk system and e-mail. As far as hiring disability do get tax credits. That including you but it's depending on the size of the company.

So, it's important to be told and upfront about yourself, honesty is the security of the company.

Thanks. I've often wondered if I was inviting problems by not mentioning deafness to an employer. i'm sure they had an idea anyway.

Last edited:
According to my EDD - the best way to not mention that you're deaf when you apply and arrange interview. Because it would give you more fairly chance to obtain job interview. If you mention that you're deaf and they will be more awkward or don't know what to do when you show up job interview.

I wonder if your local EDD has deaf program - that they provide you an interpreter for interviews.

According to my EDD - the best way to not mention that you're deaf when you apply and arrange interview. Because it would give you more fairly chance to obtain job interview. If you mention that you're deaf and they will be more awkward or don't know what to do when you show up job interview.

I wonder if your local EDD has deaf program - that they provide you an interpreter for interviews.

I do not know sign language at this point. I've managed to bluff through interviews before, but the kind of jobs I want to get into now will be more complex. I'm pretty sure it will be more difficult to bluff through those interviews. So I am going to have to mention my deafness, I think.

Books on writing resumes say to put your phone number on the resume so an employer can easily contact you.

Obviously, this isn't such a great idea for me.

What do you do? Do you put a voice mail number on your resume and ask someone to listen to your voice mail? Do you put a text number on it and say "Text messages only"? What number do you put on your resume and why?

I have my e-mail address on my resume and hope that an interviewer would contact me that way.

Books on writing resumes say to put your phone number on the resume so an employer can easily contact you.

Obviously, this isn't such a great idea for me.

What do you do? Do you put a voice mail number on your resume and ask someone to listen to your voice mail? Do you put a text number on it and say "Text messages only"? What number do you put on your resume and why?

I have my e-mail address on my resume and hope that an interviewer would contact me that way.

You can go ahead put down phone number AND e-mail. Just marked next to E-mail and say Prefer E-mail as main source of communication.

Most colleges have a department that assists students with resume preparation and mock interviews. Also, I belong to AITP student chapter, and they have representatives from the HR departments of IT businesses, such as Google, who will do mock interviews and seminars with the students, for free. They give tips for IT-specific networking, resumes and interviews.

If you're interested:

Association of Information Technology Professionals

Find a Student Chapter - Association of Information Technology Professionals

Most colleges have a department that assists students with resume preparation and mock interviews. Also, I belong to AITP student chapter, and they have representatives from the HR departments of IT businesses, such as Google, who will do mock interviews and seminars with the students, for free. They give tips for IT-specific networking, resumes and interviews.

If you're interested:

Association of Information Technology Professionals

Find a Student Chapter - Association of Information Technology Professionals

Thanks! I didn't know about the AITP organization.

I have been working since I was 16, so I have 30 years of interviewing experience. (Keep in mind that I did ALL of my job hunting on my own...I did not have anyone like VR helping me) I have learned the following:

- If you mention "I am deaf" anywhere on your resume, you will most likely never hear from them, or get a letter that says "we are reviewing your resume and will contact you if we need to".

- Employers don't want to hear about your disability, they want to know what you can do for them without costing them money.

- Back in the '80's and '90's, I used a phone number of a hearing person as a contact. When an employer calls and leaves a message, I use either the relay service or an interpreter to call back while using my own voice. This seemed to improve my odds of getting an interview. Putting down "TTY relay service" on the resume almost guaranteed no replies.

- These days, email is a great way of communicating, and I used it to set up a few interviews. When I announce that I am HOH upfront, most employers don't have an issue, but they will think twice once they find out that I just can't pick up the phone and talk.

- How well you and the employer understand each other will make or break the interview. I had an interview with a few men from the Middle Eastern countries, and they were very hard to understand with their thick accents, and I could tell they were very uncomfortable with me. Never heard from them again.

This only applies to large corporations, and is probably no longer valid.

Businesses are required to be 'diverse' as they get bigger, but that rule differs from where the business is, how large, what kind, etc, etc. Many businesses want diversity for PR status (public relations), not because they want tax breaks.

No one is REQUIRED to hire minorities or the disabled.

When an employer is looking for help, they will get a pile of resumes. They sift through each resume, and narrow it down to the most likely candidates.

They look for work experience, years of experience, and for patterns like quitting every 2 years, etc.

Once they have decided on a few resumes, they set up interviews with those people.

Anyone that says "I am deaf, you will need to make special accommodations for me" is pretty much going to be dismissed. That is why you need to downplay your deafness as much as possible and concentrate on how good you are at your job.

Many people confuse ADA's purpose. The ADA does not have anything to do with the hiring process, they are only there to help those that are already hired.

NO employer is obligated to hire a deaf person just because they are deaf.

Employers want an employee that will not be a burden on the company. This is why you should not bring up any special requests until after you are hired, or if they ask you what you will need to do your job. (VP-200, tty, etc).

Bottom line is, YOU have to 'sell' yourself as their savior. You are competing with MANY other interviewees, and 99% are not deaf.

Fortunately for deaf people these days, the availability of new communication devices makes life much, much easier for all....at the same time, it is unfortunate that jobs are not as plentiful as they used to be.

Thanks! I didn't know about the AITP organization.
At my school, student membership is free at the student chapter but I don't know if that's the case for all schools. We have monthly student meetings where two or three guest speakers from the technical community tell us about job, volunteer, and training opportunities, and about the business and technology trends. Sometimes they hand out freebie stuff. :D The main AITP also has monthly networking meetings and discussions at local restaurants, that are reasonable prices. Our group also holds fundraisers and monthly hands-on volunteer opportunities. We even have a t-shirt with nerdy binary code design. :lol:

One of the volunteer events I participated in was preparing old computers for recycling either for use again or for raw materials. There was free pizza after. Other, more advanced students, worked on servers.

I do not know sign language at this point. I've managed to bluff through interviews before, but the kind of jobs I want to get into now will be more complex. I'm pretty sure it will be more difficult to bluff through those interviews. So I am going to have to mention my deafness, I think.

Oh, no, don't even mention that. When you go to job interview, then they will realize that they're dealing with your disablity. They will questioning you how can you work with your disablity and you can assure them that there is no problem working in their environment and etc...

I agreed with what green427 said. This is exactly what EDD told me.

The one time I didn't I got the job I wanted, worked long enough to prove myself and stayed on. Did this the second time around and the same thing happened,

the third time I immigrated to Canada and pretended I just don't speak English but it didn't last long for my co-workers and boss to figure my game lol
nevertheless I stayed b/c I was good at what I did.

Still, I CAN communicate relatively well....
I dunno what would happen if the communication was an issue?

Fuzzy

I didn't when I applied to my third federal job. Prior to that agency, I was with another agency for five years. I got the job with a reference from Mass Rehab Vocational Services that wrote I was "an excellent hearing aid wearer." You can imagine what kind of job I landed with that glowing review. I HATED IT, and I got out from underneath it to another agency in Boston, which I loved, but I never mentioned my hearing loss and most coworkers had no clue. Some did know and it was no big deal. Towards the end of my time there everyone knew I had trouble hearing, as my right ear had worsened, but my employers were really wonderful. I'm still hurt I had to leave that job because I reallyed loved them and how often can you say that about a job?

During the interview with my new employers, I said nothing - but I wouldn't have the interview unless I was disabled because it was just open to vets and the disabled - so they had to know, but it wasn't discussed. So far no issues. In my opinion, say nothing if you think it won't be a factor on the job, but do speak up if it may.

Laura

Tell your head hunter no phone interviews and explain why... You don't have to do phone work. Most places will have company messaging software if not use AIM.

DO NOT put it on your resume.. However, make sure you put down that you know ASL..

Don't mention "ASL" in resume. Mentioning how many languages you can speak isn't necessary in resume unless you're applying for foreign language or ASL interpreter job.

Don't mention "ASL" in resume. Mentioning how many languages you can speak isn't necessary in resume unless you're applying for foreign language or ASL interpreter job.

I disagree. It show intelligence.

If the OP needs an interpreter for the interview, that is a whole other issue.

I'm going with the don't put it on your resume but you might want to mention it in the interview. I know I would have to, at some point in the conversation I would miss something, more likely several times lol. But I'd rather they know I didn't hear the question, rather than not understand the question. If I've asked 5 times, what? I really don't want them to think I'm dumb or something. Also I personally wouldn't want to try to fake it, like I do understand likely I'd misunderstand and respond inappropriately and that seems like it would backfire.
But that's just me personally, not sure how much you generally miss in a conversation.

Back